RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2021, 03:05:55 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | RFGen's Top "Fool me once" games 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: RFGen's Top "Fool me once" games  (Read 335 times)
EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« on: March 31, 2021, 05:03:14 PM »

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me...

In the spirit of the upcoming April Fools Day, thought it would be fun to do a top 20 list about games that fooled you into thinking they would be good. That's not the same as a worst games list, as there are plenty of games we all have played with low expectations, and those preconceptions were right on the money.

This list is for the games that fooled us into thinking they would be good, as in what games disappointed you the most. Maybe you bought into the hype on a game, only to realize that it wasn't what you expected. Maybe you bought a game that was part of a series, only to find it failed to live up to the series' prior standards.

Whatever the reason, and I'm sure there will be some good stories, what games are the biggest letdowns?

I realize it may be hard for some to come up with a list of 20, but hopefully we can get at least some lists of 10 that can be compiled into a full list.

Could be a lot of fun to see how this turns out!

Participants:

CrabMaster2000
Disposed Hero
EZ Racer
Normatron

As always, a reminder of how to participate:

How to participate-

1. Make an ordered list of whatever games are your favorites for the system being covered that month.

-Make your list about what games you think are the best that system has to offer, NOT necessarily the most important. (For example, Super Mario Bros. is one of the most influential games in VG history, but not many would call it a better game than SMB3)

-Also, your list needs to be limited to games you have personally played. Don't include a game just because you've heard it's good, include a game because you know it's good.

-For a few of the games, try to include a few thoughts on why that particular game made your list. That way, those not as familiar with the game can see why it's one they should put on their radar.

2. Personal Message EZ Racer with your ordered list.

Just put "Top 20 (or so) games that were disappointments" in the subject line. The bigger the disappointment, the higher the rank. Throughout the month, I will be compiling the results, and release a full list based on votes sent in. I will be putting extra weight on games voted for the top of the lists, so please make sure that your games are listed in numeric order. The reasoning behind a private vote is so that each member's vote can be their own, not influenced by what they think others would want.

The voting cutoff each month will be the last day of the month at 11:59 EST.

Please stick to NA and PAL releases.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 09:23:46 PM by EZ Racer » Logged
Disposed Hero
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 05:11:03 PM »

Oh man, this should be interesting...

shaggy
RFG King
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 05:23:05 PM »

I don't know if I'll be doing a list for this.  This one is really hard.  I'll think about it and will submit a list if I can think of any but right now I can only think of one.

NES cart only collection - 69% complete.
SMS complete collection - 82% complete.
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 08:49:04 AM »

Interesting. I imagine these lists will be quite personal. Be curious to see if there is ANY crossover at all or if you only get unique lists.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2021, 10:11:26 AM »

did a list up this morning and actually came up with 30 games! Shouldn't be hard to cut it down though

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 08:51:01 AM »

Got my fooled list culled down and ordered. It was A LOT more fun (and a bit cathartic) than I anticipated. Pretty thrilled with my top 5 in particular. Gonna do write ups for everything before I send it over though

EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 10:16:13 PM »

Hope that we'll get some good participation for this, even if you can't make a long list, we've all had games that have "fooled us"
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length