RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:07:09 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | September 2021 Playthrough - Genesis Shinobi Titles 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: September 2021 Playthrough - Genesis Shinobi Titles  (Read 9109 times)
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2021, 02:33:42 PM »

I also found if you stay to one side or the other  on the bonus stage you'll get all 50 every timr

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2021, 05:53:24 PM »

I also found if you stay to one side or the other  on the bonus stage you'll get all 50 every timr

Nice! I think if you get at least 47, you get an extra life.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Mr_Stubbes
Sega Genesis
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2021, 09:32:06 AM »

Nice! I think if you get at least 47, you get an extra life.

I think it’s 50 for 3, 49 for 2 and 48 for one. Or you can do what I do and do absolutely nothing kill 0 ninjas and get a free life.

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2021, 10:22:07 AM »

I think it’s 50 for 3, 49 for 2 and 48 for one. Or you can do what I do and do absolutely nothing kill 0 ninjas and get a free life.

That's what I've found while playing this morning. I've only managed to get 50 once, but I can get 48 or 49 pretty consistently by moving Shinobi to about 1/3 in from the left side of the screen, and tapping the attack button fairly rapidly.

4-1 is where it gets real. The game ramps up in difficulty a fair bit at that point. I also managed to get to Round 5, Room 4, and burned my last continue just learning rooms 1-3. But with a little persistence, I think I can probably beat this game. I've never managed to get this far before, but then I've never played this game very seriously. It's one I would just pop in, play for a bit, have some fun, and move on. I will say the stage 1 and 2 boss have just enough randomness to their attacks that they can be a bit frustrating. It's odd that Sega chose to make a "new" game for the Mega Drive/Genesis instead of just porting the arcade game. I wonder what the reason was for doing so, because it basically uses the same template and mechanics, but with all new areas. Seems like more work than bringing the arcade game forward.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2021, 03:11:42 PM »

Well, Sega did release it on the Master System. I would think that at the time, they made or ported a game and moved on. It's not like today where everything that's remotely popular gets a remaster.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2021, 05:05:26 PM »

Something I've discovered in playing today is that there's a hidden 1up in most stages. I don't think there's 1 in every stage, but I've found a 1up in most of them. These are uncovered by throwing shuriken at specific spots in the level. Sometimes it will be along the ground, sometimes up in the air. Between that, and the bonus stages, it can certainly help with the tougher areas, like Room 4 and 5 in Round 5, or 4-1. That final boss battle, however, continues to skunk me.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2021, 11:12:46 AM »

The stage 1ups can also be revealed by using the Special.

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2021, 02:53:48 PM »

The stage 1ups can also be revealed by using the Special.

That makes sense, since that's an attack type, though unless you have trouble right in the area where the 1ups are at, it seems wasteful, since you only have 1 magic use per life. There are a couple instances where I think that makes sense, though, like Round 5, Room 5, with the 1up that's right above the door before the final boss, and there's that large group of gray ninja that just swarm you.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2021, 04:27:05 PM »

You only have one special per life, but that special regenerates every stage, but not each room.

Anyway, I was able to beat Shadow Dancer today. I really enjoyed this one and pumped to start Revenge. Gonna miss my doggie though...
 Can't post pics because Imgur is being a wanker (currently watching lots of Ted Lasso atm). So here a link to my Instagram for those who have it:

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2021, 04:50:44 PM »

I started Revenge of Shinobi today and I have to say, this game really feels like a step back.....but of course it is.  I wanted to play these in release order and got the dates wrong as I originally used the release date of the Shadow Dancer arcade version, which release earlier in the same year as Revenge of Shinobi; however, the Genesis port was released a few years later.  Maybe it's just me, but this game feels really stiff and rigid.  The double jump feature also doesn't work for me sometimes.... I was only able to get to Stage 2-2 after a few runs of this game.  I hope that I can get a little more use to the mechanics of this game and finish it this month.

Mr_Stubbes
Sega Genesis
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2021, 07:26:12 PM »

Was finally able to clear Shadow Dancer. I never really got good at the later levels, especially 4-2… that level sucks lol, but I was basically able to brute force my way to the end by stockpiling lives by using Douglie’s strategy in the bonus game and going all the way to the left or right of the screen. I was able to get a 3 UP every time. I also tried to learn were all the hidden extra lives were cause some of the can give you 2 lives. Overall I enjoyed this one the and am excited to play the other two games this month.

douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2021, 07:33:07 PM »

I was able to finish shadow dancer! that last room before the boss I just ran to avoid and bounce off people lol

Mr_Stubbes
Sega Genesis
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2021, 08:11:53 AM »

I was able to finish shadow dancer! that last room before the boss I just ran to avoid and bounce off people lol

I did the same thing for the level 5 rooms lol. I'm not exactly sure how it worked, I felt like it was a little random sometimes, but you can bounce off enemies and stagger/knock them back. Which made it easier to run through them instead of trying to fend of bunch of them at once

Mr_Stubbes
Sega Genesis
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2021, 11:29:22 PM »

So after, what I considered, a grueling week I was able to get through Revenge of Shinobi. As Rich mentioned the controls do feel really stiff. It was definitely tough learning the none juitsu double jump, I had the best luck holding the jump button down until the peak of the first jump and hitting it again to get the double. Even with the easy mode this game is challenging. I found that I relied on the jump juitsu a lot to just kinda jump around the levels avoiding as many enemies as I could. I like that this game has a health bar, but the knock back from enemy hits can be so bad at times it might as well be a one hit kill. Ultimately I was unable to save my girlfriend/wife? And got the “bad” ending. Due to the difficulty I don’t think I’ll try and save her again. I’m hoping Shinobi III is more fleshed out than this one, because if not I don’t know if I can or want to put the time into trying to beat it….

douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2021, 03:32:23 PM »

spent some time with the games this weekend and finished the other 2.  they seem to get harder as you get to the next game.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length