RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:13:42 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | Shmup Club October 2021 - Shikhondo Soul Eater 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Shmup Club October 2021 - Shikhondo Soul Eater  (Read 15949 times)
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« on: September 13, 2021, 11:46:45 AM »

The mid-90's brought us an innovation in the shooting game genre with the advent of the danmaku, or "bullet hell" shooter. Developer Cave set the standard, and many studios and doujin developers have tried to replicate and innovate upon that over the years, with varying success. As the genre in general has seen a renaissance over the past few years, new developers have added their ideas, and tried to iterate on the formula. Some recent devs have garnered acclaim for bringing interesting new elements to the table with their entries into the shmup landscape. South Korean indie outfit Deerfarm has thrown their hat into the ring, and tried their hand at replicating that style, with Shikhondo Soul Eater.

Shikhondo Soul Eater is a Korean bullet-hell shoot ‘em up set within a beautiful and bizarre world of Asian mythology. Armies of demons known as yokai have escaped from Limbo. They are spreading like a plague across the land, sowing fear and stealing souls. You must destroy the pestilent invaders and free the captured souls from eternal torment. The game is available digitally on all modern console platforms (Switch, Xbox One/Series, PS4/5), as well as on PC via Steam, and also on iOS and Android. Physical versions for Switch and PS4 were published by Eastasiasoft, and released Exclusively through Play Asia. Join the RF Generation Shmup Club as we explore spooky yokai mythological nightmares in Shikhondo in October 2021!

Participants:
MetalFRO
Addicted
FauxMacho
BdotReality
Reticulan
Mobichan
RandomRetro (via Discord)
Corkman
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 09:38:24 AM by MetalFRO » Logged

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 11:36:54 AM »

Shikhondo is on sale on the Nintendo eShop right now, through October 6th, so now is a great time to pick it up, if you don't have it already!

FauxMacho
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 01:17:45 PM »

I am in for this month. Just grabbed on sale for $4.19 on the Switch. With the days getter shorter and colder I should have plenty of time for some good runs, in between other spooky games.
BlurSTG
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2021, 02:11:09 PM »

Life is finally starting to let up on me some, and I plan to return to streaming in October. SO COUNT ME IN BOYS!

I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ideal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I never die with regrets.
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 10:28:40 AM »

Excellent! Good to see you're still kicking, Bdot. I wondered if maybe things just got real hectic for you, so it's good that you'll have some time to relax a bit.

mobichan
Tiger Gizmondo

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2021, 02:44:30 PM »

Count me in!  Looking forward to trying this game.

Game Dev and Pixel Artist
Creator of Slayin / Slayin 2 / Treasure Buster / Dead End City
Twitter: https://twitter.com/pixellicker
4_T_en
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2021, 04:14:45 PM »

I'm in. I've had this one for a while (seems to go on sale on the Switch often!) but haven't given solid attention yet.
4_T_en
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2021, 08:40:47 AM »

Normally I'm inclined to give a game some time, an opportunity to grow on me. But there's one issue I'd like to put out here from the get-go: lag. In particular, Switch lag. I am willing to overlook a little lag, especially on the Switch since it gives me portability, a convenient place to have A LOT of shmups, and generally good support for tate modes... present company, ahem, excluded. However, in a bullet-grazer like Shikhondo, the lag is frustrating, since I am purposefully spending time near a lot of bullets. And then letting go of focus shot and returning to normal movement can make me feel even more out of control with the lag.

I'm curious what others think about lag on Switch and particularly what controller they like to use. I like an arcade stick, and I frequently use my 8BitDo arcade stick. It is great with the PC, but with the Switch I often find that it seems to add even more lag. My favorite way to play is docked with the stick, but fairly often, as is the case with Shikhondo, I feel like it's the least responsive way to play. Any advice for a low-latency stick on the Switch?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 05:51:49 PM by Reticulan » Logged
mobichan
Tiger Gizmondo

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2021, 08:37:30 AM »

I am playing on Switch, but don't perceive any lag.  I am using a pro controller, but would prefer if I had an arcade stick I could use on the Switch.

The game is giving me hard Shikigami no Shiro vibes, which isn't really my cup of tea.  But I managed about 507 million points from my best run so far (ended at the spider boss). I wish the music was more exciting and that there were actual stages instead of a scrolling wallpaper behind a bunch of enemy waves.  It is a professional presentation, but isn't really a game I will come back to after the community event is over.

But I am glad I got out of my comfort zone for a few weeks. ^_^'

Game Dev and Pixel Artist
Creator of Slayin / Slayin 2 / Treasure Buster / Dead End City
Twitter: https://twitter.com/pixellicker
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2021, 07:19:03 PM »

Normally I'm inclined to give a game some time, an opportunity to grow on me. But there's one issue I'd like to put out here from the get-go: lag. In particular, Switch lag. I am willing to overlook a little lag, especially on the Switch since it gives me portability, a convenient place to have A LOT of shmups, and generally good support for tate modes... present company, ahem, excluded. However, in a bullet-grazer like Shikhondo, the lag is frustrating, since I am purposefully spending time near a lot of bullets. And then letting go of focus shot and returning to normal movement can make me feel even more out of control with the lag.

I'm curious what others think about lag on Switch and particularly what controller they like to use. I like an arcade stick, and I frequently use my 8BitDo arcade stick. It is great with the PC, but with the Switch I often find that it seems to add even more lag. My favorite way to play is docked with the stick, but fairly often, as is the case with Shikhondo, I feel like it's the least responsive way to play. Any advice for a low-latency stick on the Switch?

I don't have experience with 8bitdo sticks, but both the M30 and SF30 seem to work fine on my Switch, with no lag, though those are Bluetooth. I would say check with 8bitdo and see if there's a firmware update you can do. My MayFlash F500 Elite got an update recently, and it supposedly helped with some lag/input latency on some platforms.

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2021, 10:02:59 PM »

I'm starting to get a good handle on the game. I managed to reach stage 4 this evening on stream, and then a couple runs later, even though I died on the stage 3 boss, I managed to get a pretty good score. I don't think I quite have the timing down for the Soul Collect mode, but I'm trying to figure it out, and work out when is best to go for that second mode. Really digging the art style, though, and the music is solid.

* Shikhondo 01_small.jpg (263.71 KB, 807x605 - viewed 475 times.)

Corkman
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2021, 06:46:12 PM »

Nice job so far everyone! 

I am playing this month. I got a late start this month but I played a fair bit this weekend. I like the art in this game but I'm not sure about the scrolling backgrounds. I don't really feel like I'm flying. I don't know why, but I like feeling like I'm flying and that I'm going fast in shmup. The art is really cool though and I do find myself admiring the art in the background instead of dodging bullets sometimes.  Tongue Tongue Tongue 

I just played some tonight after work and got to 532 mil. I was going to play for survival at first but this is really a scoring game so I'll play for score. Besides, I've been into playing for score more lately between playing Assault Shell and Cotton Reboot.

Happy soul eating everyone!  drool drool drool

Do not pursue Lu Bu!
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2021, 09:51:55 PM »

I know what you mean about not feeling like you're flying, though in this game, it at least has some scrolling effect, particularly in stage 2. But yes, the areas are surreal enough with their sort of watercolor/sepia tone look that they feel less real, and thus less like you're flying through/above them. I get the same vibe when I watch footage of a lot of the earlier Touhou games, and even some of the more recent ones. The backgrounds serve more as a backdrop, and less as scenery to fly over, as opposed to just a black screen.

As for me, I managed to up my PB again to over 1 billion, and reached the stage 4 boss. From this point, I'm going to start using the Boss Rush mode to get more practice in against the bosses specifically. I still need to tighten my approach on stage 3's boss, and stage 4 I definitely need to learn the patterns, because it threw me for a loop right away.

* Shikhondo 02_small.jpg (193.95 KB, 807x605 - viewed 455 times.)

FauxMacho
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2021, 01:59:49 PM »

I'm chipping away little by little at the game. It seems like I'm progressing to where a lot of you all are, around 500mil. Seems like that where practice and experience are needed to break through.

I'm playing on the Switch. I'm pretty disappointed in this version, besides being extremely bare bones, my high scores are not working. It won't save anything for me, and the tutorial screen before runs seems to state the wrong button for the 2nd phase of the soul collect. Anyone else experiencing the lack of high scores on Switch?
BlurSTG
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2021, 09:25:22 PM »

I finally got around to playing for the first time tonight. I gotta say, the game is really fun and I'm really enjoying it. Current PB on Normal mode with The Girl is Score:1078714358 Soul: 47339. Not bad for an hour of play time. Looking forward to seeing how far I can ramp this up.

* Shikhondo.jpg (454.06 KB, 1917x1100 - viewed 437 times.)

I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ideal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I never die with regrets.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length