RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:21:43 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | For all you Halo fans out there... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: For all you Halo fans out there...  (Read 8448 times)
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2005, 12:21:35 PM »

I'm with you and yours Catchfive. Halo is an entertaining FPS. But every FPS is an entertaining FPS. I personally would rather play Americas Army on my comp.

I think Microsoft bought good reviews and Game of Year awards. Compared to GTA: San An or MGS 3, Halo is a punitive ball of pixels.

P.S. I think Bungie should just scrap Halo and make more Myth games. Now those were cool.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 12:25:03 PM by The_Other_Leon » Logged

When shall his new form be revealed?
Sureshot
CD-i

Stats
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2005, 01:40:56 PM »

Halo is a pitiful FPS compared to some of the stuff you get on the PC (and yes, I know you can get it on the PC too). Console controllers don't really work for FPSes in general. Yeah Goldeneye did alright with the N64 controller, but its functionality was a bit limited at the end of the day. A fully customisable mouse & keyboard is where it's at.

Me vs Gretzky
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2005, 01:52:52 PM »

Yea you can't beat WASDing (Wh-Ass-Duh-ing) in a FPS.
(And yes i actually do pronounce the leters when i say that in real life Wink)
There is a keyboard for Xbox i haven't used it but i hear it still pales in comparison to a "real" mouse and keyboard combo

s1lence
Resident Achievement Guru
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2005, 06:19:44 PM »

Wow, that was just amazing.  :-/
captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2005, 06:47:31 PM »

Halo is a pitiful FPS compared to some of the stuff you get on the PC (and yes, I know you can get it on the PC too). Console controllers don't really work for FPSes in general. Yeah Goldeneye did alright with the N64 controller, but its functionality was a bit limited at the end of the day. A fully customisable mouse & keyboard is where it's at.

Comparing P.C. to Console games is like comparing apples to oranges. P.C. games should win hands down.

Still , the controls are prettyy good for Halo 2 on the Xbox ....IMO

NDiddy
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2005, 09:47:23 PM »

Yea you can't beat WASDing (Wh-Ass-Duh-ing) in a FPS.
(And yes i actually do pronounce the leters when i say that in real life Wink)
There is a keyboard for Xbox i haven't used it but i hear it still pales in comparison to a "real" mouse and keyboard combo

lol I love it when people mention wasd anything it was the name of my first gaming clan.

On the subject now why do people have to hate on games just cause there big? Halo and grand theft auto always seem to attract the haters. Heres why I think halo deserves the praise it gets.  Halo may not bring anything new to the table but it makes up for it in its awesome presentation and its just fun play a few multiplayer matches just a few and tell me its not fun at all I dare ya. Most first person shooters dont bring anything new to the table this whole genre can be summed up in one word complacency. Some of the games that do try somethin g different Red Faction and geist suck horribly but you would tell me they are better games then halo because they were a little more innovative?

[img width=360 height=72]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/netwetty/ndiddycopy.jpg[/img]
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2005, 04:59:15 AM »

For the record, imo Halo 2 is a BLAST! I've played offline with 4 players on one box and it's a ton of fun. We've even had system link games on several occasions.

I've never really been into FPS games. I even stayed away from Halo 1 for the longest time because of that. But I couldn't (and wouldn't) criticize a game that I've never played just because of my personal preference.

So when H2 was about to be released, I decided to trade in Fable + $5 and reserve my copy. After playing H2, and all the fun I've been having with the game offline and online, I can honestly say that it's a really good game!

Sure, the story mode has it's drawbacks. And yes, I would've liked to be able to play offline multiplayer with bots. And yes, the sword is often too dominating in multiplayer. But for overall enjoyment, this game is very well made, controls very well, with solid graphics and sound, and I would give it a 9 out of 10.

As far as the PC vs. Console argument goes, PCs will always have higher technological capabilities than consoles, but that doesn't mean that Console games should be discredited for that inherent difference.

I have both a PC and Consoles, but have 0 interest in playing anything but Pogo on my PC. My PC is also 5 years old, and I don't like having to pay $1500 every 3 or 4 years just to have the hardware capability to play the latest and greatest PC games. And don't get me started on MMORPG subscription rates!

All in all Halo1 was a very good game to kickoff the system launch (2001). Halo2 is a great game that came out at the right time to expand on the XBox Live franchise, the Halo1 fan base, and bring non-FPS fans (speaking for myself) into the genre.

Last comments: 1. If Sega Dreamcast became overshadowed by PS2, and no one else stepped up to compete with Sony, wouldn't we be stuck with whatever Sony would try to force down our throats as far as quality games? 2. Innovation is something that will always exist, but is hard to find. And when it is found, it is instantly copied by everyone else that didn't think of it first to the point that it becomes the mainstream until such time that the next innovation is discovered.

captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2005, 05:21:06 AM »

If anything , I will say this. The comments made by your friend sure has sparked a great topic of conversation.

phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2005, 05:54:33 AM »

If anything , I will say this. The comments made by your friend sure has sparked a great topic of conversation.

True, Cap.

But what I don't like is the fact that he's hiding behind C5B instead of coming on the boards himself.

captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2005, 06:23:41 AM »

True, Cap.

But what I don't like is the fact that he's hiding behind C5B instead of coming on the boards himself.

Thats ok because he sounds pretty close minded on the issue. (at least thats what I get from his article)

But oh well. People can be fanboys and "anti" fanboys all they want. It sure wont effect what I like and play  Wink
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 07:21:33 AM by captain_nintendo » Logged

phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2005, 07:02:30 AM »

People can be fanboys and "anit" fanboys all they want. It sure wont effect what I like and play  Wink

Well said. Ditto.

captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2005, 07:26:48 AM »

Mine too.  And the person who posted this (Andy) hates Halo for the same reason Vlad and I do.  It's ruining everything we love about the gaming industry.  The only reason gamers like us still have games that we like to play is because of firmly rooted companies like Nintendo, Konami, Capcom, etc.   Any new, up-and-coming companies with great ideas that are trying to change the industry for the better won't be able to because of the monster games and companies that everybody and their mom is like "OMFG THIS IS THE GREATEST GAME EVER MADE I WILL NEVER BUY ANY OF THOSE OTHER CRAPPY GAMES BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT HALO."  And although I'm sure that no one on this site is like that, there are a LOT of people that are.  And the problem with the "industry giants" like Microsoft that are just trying to make money on video games as a side project (Because seriously, what's it going to hurt them if their games don't succeed?  They've got their foot in a ton of other industries that they can get rich off of.) is that, at the rate things are moving, they're going to take down all the gaming companies that are only in gaming because their sales will suck so bad.  Sega is a good example of this (The Dreamcast is an incredible system that was doing great until the release of the PS2.), and Nintendo will be too if the industry keeps moving in the direction that it is right now.

I would prefer to still be able to play the same kind of fun, innovative games on the same kind of durable, quality systems that I've been playing them on since the early 90's until the day I die, but I won't be able to if companies like Microsoft are running the game industry.

- CFB

"The sky is falling" ?

Seriously , I think you are over dramatizing a bit.
Maybe we should get a list of what games sold how many units the past few years somehow and determine the truth here ?

phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2005, 07:34:45 AM »

And the problem with the "industry giants" like Microsoft that are just trying to make money on video games as a side project (Because seriously, what's it going to hurt them if their games don't succeed?  They've got their foot in a ton of other industries that they can get rich off of.)

- CFB

And in your statement, we can also insert "Sony" in place of Microsoft, can't we?

captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2005, 07:41:56 AM »

Of course I am not trying to "pile" on to Cathfivebats here. Just I am not a fan of hating on a product just because it has made it big time.

Just reminds me of people who hate bands who "have gone main stream". OMG !!!111!!! They sold out because they are making money now !!!!

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2005, 09:18:53 AM »

Metallica sold out and they suck for the most part now.  |D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 09:19:19 AM by tynstar » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length