RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:17:12 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Blockbuster scams. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Blockbuster scams.  (Read 5377 times)
Mike Leon
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« on: July 13, 2004, 10:55:52 AM »

I hate Blockbuster. I like video games. If you also hate Blockbuster and love video games, then this scam is for you.

Blockbuster is currently running a deal where you can trade in any two used games (PS1 or newer, excluding N64 at some store locations) to buy any used game for $10. Let me repeat that. You trade in 2 of your games. You buy any used game in the store for $10.

The flaw in this should be obvious immediately. Many new PS2, XBOX and Gamecube games have trade-in values which are higher than $10. So the scam works like this.

1. Go to Gamestop or EBGames or whatever the big trade-in chain is in your area. Find the cheapest PS1 games they have (Madden 99 is $0.99). Buy a ton of those games.

2. Go to Blockbuster and pick out a really expensive used next-gen console game. Spider-man 2 is great if they have it, or EA Sports MLB 2004 will work quite well. Trade in two of your crappy old $0.99 PS1 games and pay ten dollars for the new game. It usually comes out to 8.00 or 9.00 dollars (Because they give you trade-in credit for the two PS1 games on top of reducing the price of your purchase).

3. Walk to another Blockbuster (They're like roaches, never more than 3 blocks apart). Trade in the game you just bought for $25 or $30 in store credit. It's like they're paying you to buy games.

4. Buy back the expensive game you traded in (Using the $10 deal again and the credit you got from trading it in) and repeat the whole process.

There are variations too. You can try only buying 2 PS1 games and just buying them back with the store credit whenever you trade the expensive game back in. That way you can keep trading in the same two PS1 games and never spend any more money on "fuel" for the scam.

The best way is probably to trade a game in right before the store closes (12pm) and buy it back right when the store opens the next day (9am, I think). Then trade it back in again at that same store that same night and repeat. The way shifts are at retail stores, they're not likely to have the same employees closing and then opening the next morning. You'll deal with different people every time you go in the store so it's less likely someone will start to catch on. Even if they do catch on they usually don't care. Just DON'T PISS OFF THE CASHIERS. They get angry when they have to do 10 transactions in a row for some weirdo who keeps buying a game and trading it back in.

Go ahead and try this. I know it works. I got Spider-man 2 and only spent $21 of my own money. A friend of mine just kept running the scam for a week or so and he got an XBOX and 2 new games out of it.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2004, 10:57:37 AM by The_Evil_Leon » Logged

I could stand to have my Wii serviced right about now.
thx1138
3DO

Stats
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 11:04:23 AM »

It's not a scam. It's good business sense! Smiley

10 PRINT "THX is still skill"
20 GOTO 10
30 REM 24th Sept 2017 ;-)

RUN
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 01:56:21 PM »

Thats not a scam its a great idea, man is blockbuster stupid.
Evil leon you truely are evil and i commend you for that
« Last Edit: July 13, 2004, 01:56:40 PM by IZRET101 » Logged

Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 03:06:06 PM »

Yeah, only an evil soul such as yourself could have thought of such an ingenious and somehow legal idea.   drunk
Antimind
Co-Founder
Canada

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 06:39:52 PM »

Evil genius straight! Wink

Zimbacca
Sorry you must have been boring me.
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2004, 07:17:38 PM »

if I went to block buster I would do that, but I hate blockbuster so much I refuse to even go into one of their stores unless I'm going to cause them trouble.

Mike Leon
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2004, 07:23:51 PM »

Did you actually read the post? The whole point is to cause them trouble.

Zimbacca
Sorry you must have been boring me.
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2004, 07:30:38 PM »

I mean unless I'm going to be loud and obnoxious and to cause havoc. they've fucked me over way to many times.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2004, 07:31:07 PM by freak_boy » Logged

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2004, 08:11:03 PM »

i agree with evil... again this is so much better than reeking havoc because if you do that you just get another assault charge if you do this you kill them financially plus you can make some quick cash. if i had any money i would be doing this deal right know but i dont so to anyone who reads im pretty shure the trade in on NBA ballers is like 25-30 bucks at Game Crazy so you might wanna pick up a couple of those.

danvx6
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2004, 10:05:30 PM »

that is the best idea EVER.  crushing companies that pretend to actually care what you think is so fun.

Mike Leon
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2004, 12:24:20 PM »

Keep in mind, you really don't need much money. In theory, you could generate an infinite amount of store credit and only spend $12 of your own money. You just have to do it right.

thx1138
3DO

Stats
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2004, 03:25:33 AM »

btw I HATE BLOCKBUSTER!!!!

they fucked my hometown up in england.

We had lots of little shops, little video rental stores, etc.

There was an old furniture store opposite a Safeways supermarket, it was a kinda split level building, on the bottom part of the buliding, on a corner was a little video rental store that hafd been there since I could ever remember.

Fucking council, let Blockbuster open up IN THE BUILDING ABOVE IT!

They hired young women to go around , looking cute, handing leaflets out to everyone, they blanket bombed the papers with adverts. ALL of their videos were 99pence rental.

Of course the shop underneath shut. So did my favourite store a mile away, which was run by a family, who knew their films, and every month would hand paint a different movie theme in the window. Once they had shut, the price of rentals shot up, and all the staff to customer ratio dropped too. Bastards.

They are all gone now. One or two started up again years later, that did video games too, and a lot of general stores rent a few movies, but it's not the same.

I took a movie back once, and they were shut, and put it in the deposit box, this was 10 minutes past midnight. My film, which cost me £3 to rent, was deemed "overdue" and they sent a debt collectors letter to me for the money!

So, I hate them  - and only visit them when games hunting.

10 PRINT "THX is still skill"
20 GOTO 10
30 REM 24th Sept 2017 ;-)

RUN
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length