RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:55:52 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | Police Brutality/Home Invasion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Police Brutality/Home Invasion  (Read 2106 times)
Antimind
Co-Founder
Canada

WWW Stats
« on: April 18, 2006, 10:04:28 AM »

Normally I don't talk about stuff this personal but I feel its important to get the story out. I'd hate to see this happen to anyone ever again but I know it will somewhere. Its probably happening right now somewhere in the world. I copied everything directly from my blog so bear with the length.

Growing up I was taught to go to the police for help, that they were there to serve and protect. That if I ever had a problem a policeman could help me, could save me from danger. Now as an adult I know differently. I know that they are to be feared even more than some psycho with a gun. They're more dangerous. At least a psycho with a gun will shoot you straight instead of torturing you....

Around midnight last night we were in our room. Teddy was playing his Xbox 360 and I was watching TV. My brother-in-law was in the living room playing games. I was getting ready for bed. We heard a loud bang and "get on the floor". We don't live in the best neighborhood so naturally, assumed it was some dangerous people. We weren't wrong. The police broke our door down and came in with guns drawn. They didn't identify themselves immediately and not being able to see what the hell was going on we thought the worst. They'd got a warrant to search our house for drugs, signed by a JUSTICE OF THE PEACE (not a judge-judge mind). It was good from midnight until 10am only. For those that don't know us, nobody in this house has anything to do with drugs - ever. I stay home and take care of the house, the boys all work damn hard to keep the bills paid and food on the table. None of us have ever been in trouble for anything. The person they were looking for doesn't even live here. They didn't bring drug dogs either, something that's routine with a search and warrant like that. They didn't even mention drugs. We found out after they left and we viewed the warrant. They claimed they were looking for firearms and other weapons. We don't have that sort of thing.

They forced everyone on the floor on our stomachs and cuffed us like we were the biggest criminals. The cuffs weren't humanely applied either. They were all too tight and made our hands hurt and turn red. We still have marks from them as I type this, 12 hours after the fact. They tore our house completely apart. For those that have seen the pictures of our room (and we just redid it too), it was pretty well organized. I mean literally tore everything apart. They dumped app $200 worth of food down the kitchen sink. They dumped COFFEE down the kitchen sink. Coffee! We not only need a new front door, we need a plumber bad now. To give you an idea of how bad the damage is, let's just say that we can't afford to replace things they broke and some of the things can never be replaced. Our house looks different now all the way around. It took them 2 hours to completely destroy everything. It took us 3 to salvage what we could and there's a lot that had to be thrown away.

They had my brother-in-law on the floor in the living room, my husband in the hallway, and me in the kitchen with my head practically in Duncan's litterbox. My husband took the most shit from them. He has a torn ACL and more plates and screws than can be counted in his right knee. He's had quite a few surgeries and is in need of further ones. They kept stepping on his back, kicking his bad knee. When it became clear that they weren't going to find anything this one cop started kicking him in the head repeatadily saying "trying to be a tough guy, tell us where everything is". Where I come from that's police brutality. They kicked me, dumped beer on my head, stepped on me. I don't know what they did to my brother-in-law cause I couldn't see him. We all have torn up wrists and bruises. They also kicked our cat and screamed at him in an unfriendly way. I have a bad heart. Its a good thing I managed to keep calm or I'd be in the hospital right now. I almost did have to go. Seeing the damage after they left I started having slight chest pains.

They strip searched us too. Then interrogated us. I'm the only one they dragged outside for that. They put me in a cop car. They kept asking me where crack cocaine is and then said tell me what it looks like. I told them I have no idea, I've never seen the stuff. They said with pink hair, tattoos, and piercings "oh come on now, you can tell us we know you know". They also pulled the "what's a good white girl like you doing married to an Indian". The way the cops were acting and the things they said I could have sworn this was the south in the 50's and the boys were black or that it was the 40's and we were in Germany. I know shit like this happens every day all over the world, it just never happened to us before. They did a criminal background check on me in both countries too. Naturally they were displeased to find absolutely nothing. They questioned me about my birth certificate and practically wanted my family history. They wanted all kinds of information that has absolutely nothing to do with why they were here.

The thing that pissed me off the most about all of it is that they planted a "gun" in the boy's room (which mind is in the basement). When they brought it up and started threatening to arrest us all (and mind again, at the end of their investigation) I saw it. To me it looked like a rusty old pipe and not like any gun or anything I've ever seen. They forced us to sign statements saying that we'd all be held accountable for their "find". Nobody here was held accountable (for the moment at least) and they admitted to the guy they arrested on the other side of town that they planted it here. None of us knew a goddamn thing about it and I never saw the damn thing. I'm 100% sure it wasn't in our house. Honestly with the things that happened and the way they were talking I was surprised that they didn't "find" all kinds of shit.

I know this much. I never had a problem with police before. I always thought they were there to help. After this if I'd be beaten and raped I sure the fuck wouldn't deal with no police. I don't want anything to do with them for any reason. All faith I had in the law is now gone. By the time everything was over I'd been awake for over 24 hours and I couldn't sleep. I was worried that they'd come back and drag me out of bed or something. We're talking to lawyers and going through channels now. Trying to see if there's anything we can do about this. The one thing that can't be fixed is that none of us feels safe here. They violated our home and our sense of security and that's something that you just can't replace.

UPDATE: There is currently a green car with a guy in it sitting in front of our house. Our roommate just informed me that he's seen the same car and guy sitting in front of our house on and off all week. It looks like this isn't over.

We've decided to move. My parents are going to help with the money and help to replace the groceries. This is just really really shitty. I wish they'd just leave us the hell alone. There's always someone home so we know nobody'll be in here when nobody's around. I do know that from now on I'm not going to leave the house without my husband or one of my brothers-in-law. I just don't feel safe.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 10:12:05 AM »

That really sucks. I wish you all the best and I hope a lawyers can do something for you.

captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 10:48:03 AM »

Sounds pretty shitty Laurel.

I hope things get better for you guys.

R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
You will not be forgotten.

http://www.rfgeneration.c..._nintendo&folder=Coll
Zimbacca
Sorry you must have been boring me.
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 12:43:34 PM »

wow, I'm really sorry that happened.  I hope everything works out for you.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 01:01:32 PM »

Hmm, sounds like some weird stuff. Hope you get it all sorted out.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Antimind
Co-Founder
Canada

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 02:16:14 PM »

Me too guys, me too. The police review board will take our reports on the brutality and we do have photos. I just doubt anything will happen cause race related incidents with Winnipeg police brutality are everyday life here. It's fucked.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 06:25:54 PM »

Thats fucking bullshit.

There must be something you can get out of this.
At least enough to fix shit up and replace what they destroyed.
From the sounds of it though you won't be able to fight over it in courts very long if at all...

You know the whole time i was reading that all i could think was "and she was worried about shit happening in the US."

captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 10:34:00 PM »

Shit happens everywhere. It's sucks :-/

Good luck getting everything back to normal Laurel! Hopefully those bastards wont bother you again.

R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
You will not be forgotten.

http://www.rfgeneration.c..._nintendo&folder=Coll
atari_wizard
Sega Master System
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 03:53:59 AM »

Horrible. Sorry for your luck.  I'm glad that you all are hanging in there & I hope everything works out. The thing that may help you all is the fact you have pictures of everything. Good luck on your move & I hope justice is served to these jerks.

Have you played Pitfall II today?

Pop Culture Portal
RFG Friend
United States
Awards: Tournament Winner

Stats
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 05:16:33 AM »

"Bullies with Badges"

Not to make a sweeping generalization, but that's what I think of the police.  I know not ALL are, but sure seems a majority of them fit that description.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 09:51:59 AM »

Hopefully those bastards wont bother you again.

If they had a guy chillin outside your house you can count on them following you wherever you move.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2006, 09:55:53 AM »

Shoot the guy in the car then chuck him over the border, then move yourselves over the border. Problem solved

When shall his new form be revealed?
Sensei_Fu
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2006, 06:00:04 AM »

Laurel, I'm sorry that happened to you, but unfortunately it happens here too.  

I personally have a quiet disgust for the cops tho I am a law abiding citizen.  I've never had a positive interaction with a cop, ever.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length