RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:07:28 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | 2D Fighting game strategy 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 2D Fighting game strategy  (Read 2953 times)
Mike Leon
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« on: July 18, 2004, 10:53:51 AM »

I suck at 2D fighting games. Okay, well not all of them. I kick some major ass at MvC2. But, I've noticed that if I try to play some of the slower, less giant combo oriented games, I can't get past the first or second level. Particularly, SvC Chaos, KOF (Anything) and old Street Fighter (Before Alpha) are a big problem for me. It's not that I don't know my moves or anything. I can do all of the special moves. I'm just missing something non-objective. I don't really "get" the way the game works. Anybody have any suggestions? Comments? Anything?

I could stand to have my Wii serviced right about now.
deadducks
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004, 03:57:01 PM »

block

2D Forever
Zimbacca
Sorry you must have been boring me.
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2004, 05:57:55 PM »

when i can't get the combos i just button mash.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2004, 05:59:41 PM »

i kick ass and never block just because you know all the combos doesnt mean you know when to use them usually in older games like that combos can be riskier than just doing normal moves

Antimind
Co-Founder
Canada

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2004, 06:14:29 PM »

HP, HK, and fireball/electricute their sorry ass.

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2004, 06:22:01 PM »

what the hell game are you talking about???

Antimind
Co-Founder
Canada

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2004, 06:26:26 PM »

Hard/Fierce punch and kick a lot. Use projectiles whenever possible.

Antimind
Co-Founder
Canada

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2004, 06:27:36 PM »

Oh sorry... Street Fighter II,I only use Blanka and Dimitri in Darkstalkers. I play a very simple game but I can hold my own Wink

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2004, 06:31:03 PM »

well when you said electrocute and fireball i was like what the hell character can use both
blanca is the man
did anyone saw the movie SAT
"So you wanted to make videogames when you grew up?"
"No i wanted to be Blanca."

deadducks
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2004, 06:33:35 PM »

i kick ass and never block just because you know all the combos doesnt mean you know when to use them usually in older games like that combos can be riskier than just doing normal moves

Play Samurai Showdown you will learn to block Wink

2D Forever
Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2004, 06:42:16 PM »

not if i just kick ass the whole way through. and make them have  to blok to avoid my relentless fury

Odonadon
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2004, 09:09:04 PM »

I prefer the games that don't rely on combos.  Though I'm not much good at them myself anyway.

My character of choice in SF2 is Ken (or Ryu).  Basically, crouch, jump kick, and fireball a lot.  Instead of blocking an attack, try roundhousing or uppercutting it.  Throw a lot, too.  I only use fierce - except to throw a slow moving fireball.  When catching the enemy off guard, I let loose a hurricane kick.  Dragon punch is reserved for a "from above" attack.

OD

If Jesus were alive today I'm sure he'd own a PS2.
http://turbo2k.net - TurboGrafx-16 Megasite.
2D-Forever
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2004, 09:03:50 AM »

I think you can either play or you can't.  I can't play sports games if my life depended on me winning.

maybe you should stick with what you know.

-God gave us memories so we could languish in dispair.
-Once delayed, Twice dismayed.  SNK
Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2004, 10:29:45 AM »

When I play older 2-D fighting games, I like to use counter moves alot.  It all involves forcing whoever you are fighting into making a move and then making them pay.

One example:  In Street fighter 2 (with Ken or Ryu), throw a slow moving fireball.  After you shoot it, follow it in to your opponent.  Depending on how good they are, they normally have three choices;  Jump over the fireball and try to launch an aerial attack, block the fireball and try to block your close attacks, or if they can shoot projectiles as well, cancel the two fireballs out.

In the first example (jump at you), you can either counter with a Dragon Punch or a crouching fierce  punch.  Either way they will get knocked down and open themselves up for an attempt at a combo.

In the second example, you can either try to throw your blocking opponent, or you can jump in with a deep fierce kick and get a quick combo in.

The third example is the toughest to act on.  It all depends when your opponent fires off his shot.  If he shoots immediatly, that pretty much ends any counter you might have had planned.  If he delays a little bit and you can get close enough, you can usually jump in with a deep fierce kick/sweep combo, or the more flashy deep jumping cross up fierce kick, crouching weak kick, fierce Dragon Punch combo.

Sorry to rattle on so long, but I've been "training" at Street Fighter for a while so I got alot of BS to spew.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length