RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:45:59 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | old school vs new school 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: old school vs new school  (Read 4311 times)
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 09:37:57 AM »

Ooo, pwnage. You rock bliss.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Cham Zord
Jaguar CD

WWW Stats
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2006, 09:48:19 AM »

Being an all-around gamer, I respect games from all generations. I'm not attempting to generalize here or anything, but I've noticed that the vast majority of the next-gen games are too easy. They're much longer, but lack the difficulty seen in the older games. When it comes down to it, though, my all-time favorite game is an old-school game, but my following few favorites are next-gen.

In a perfect world, there are no boundaries...

We already live in a perfect world...
Tan
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2006, 10:27:08 AM »

Ooo, pwnage. You rock bliss.

he's been playing Phoenix Wright, that was an open and shut case if i ever seen one.  :ownedsign:
wrldstrman
nintedo completist
3DO
United States

Stats
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2006, 10:33:33 AM »

I think its all a matter of personal choice..just like cars would you like to own a first year release corvette or a brand new one. The newer one is probally going to be computerized with all the newest advancements and go much faster then the older one but the older one is much simpler. Kind of like the games To me the newer stuff looks like a blast to play and I do try and play a few games on my boys systems but I just cant get the hang of the little thumb joysticks and the excessive amount of buttons..So like myself I enjoy the older stuff because most of the games are much simpler to play.

Another reason is could be the age difference in the last 20 years kids have grown up playing video games and have had access to computers starting in grade school so its so the mordern stuff is easy to play..It wasnt until I was a teenager before the atari 2600 came out and I was already working and married by the time the first wave of disc games came out so I didnt really get back into gaming until my kids were old enough to want a system.

need last 3 nes items  chubby cherub box, stadium event manual and complete myriad
yap
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2006, 10:44:23 AM »

Just to make myself clear, I'm definitely not dismissing this entire generation at all, I do play new games.  I can see the artistic value in these games also, but they're just becoming such gigantic blockbuster-movie like production and I'm becoming jaded as a result.

The fact is that there's far too few Katamari Damacies and Guitar Heroes and way too many sequals/movie titles.  For every innovative new idea there's 10 rehashed yawnfest titles.

But there certainly are some gems out there today.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2006, 10:54:53 AM »

I agree older gmes are simply to play  but not easier. Call of Duty 2 was the last game I beat and it was easy. I tried playing Kid Icarus a few months back and that game is hard as hell.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2006, 03:28:07 PM »

Difference seems to be that nowadays there are more challenge levels. Does this mean you always play on easy?

Hell, God of War on Spartan Mode, or Hitman on Silent Assassin mode...not easy.

Shimra
Sega CD

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2006, 06:24:37 PM »

I'm playing God of War on hero mode(hardest difficulty) and I must say, it is easy. The original Devil May Cry on easy mode is harder than any God of War mode, and that seriously is not an exaggeration. Play it. Then rip out your hair trying hard or even Dante Must Die mode.
The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2006, 06:46:21 PM »

It's easy if you've been playing on easy for awhile. But I got stuck at Ares on God mode after not playing for awhile and it was damn near impossible.

Shimra
Sega CD

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2006, 01:24:01 PM »

I hate Ares. I admit, Ares is hard. The problem I had the most was I couldn't hit the O button fast enough.
Zanicnight
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2006, 08:25:22 AM »

I enjoy bot h the old and new games too.

I like the Old games because most of them or arcade sytle and the replay vaule for them is much higher on avg. then newer games. New games do look prettier and add a new lever of differculty which is not only hard but maintains being fun.  
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length