RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:55:19 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Sony, Good or bad? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Sony, Good or bad?  (Read 10547 times)
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2006, 12:48:44 PM »

You say it's lame to exclude the cables, yet you also say nobody has the capabilities to use them yet. So why would Sony give out cables for things that nobody has?

And I agree with Arr on the DVD front. You can't believe that video tech won't advance past the DVD, it's going to continue to change and, like Tan said, if Blu-Ray is the thing of the future then PS3 is the way you'll to go. It's cheaper than other Blu-Ray players and it's also a Playstation. That's the market strategy, the difference between now and last time is the fact that Blu-Ray hasn't been quite as established as the conquerer of DVD. When DVD first showed up it was considered to be a marvelous replacement.

And no $600 is not cheap, but after buying a 360 for $399 and then the HD-DVD for $199 you will be spending THE SAME AMOUNT as you would buying a PS3. So...what's the big deal?

The component video cable in the 360 is capable of being used as a composite as well if needed, which gives flexibility to the consumer. The PS3's is composite-only, no flexibility for the consumer...go buy the component cable for another $30+.

And the point of the HDDVD player is that you, the consumer, can CHOOSE NOT TO BUY IT! That way, your gaming console is $400...for gaming...period; and you can watch standard DVDs on it. The point is that you don't have to purchase a technology that you don't want. THAT'S WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL! Sony is not giving the consumer that choice...again, no flexibility.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 12:52:21 PM by phoenix1967 » Logged

Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2006, 01:06:45 PM »

Do they give you a remote control for the blue ray player?
If not, then its worthless.  Sure it will work in a pinch, but it will never be more than a second class player.

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2006, 02:11:40 PM »

Do they give you a remote control for the blue ray player?
If not, then its worthless.  Sure it will work in a pinch, but it will never be more than a second class player.

I agree 100% with that. I would rather spend 1k on  real Blu-Ray player the 600 for the PS3 are a Blu-Ray player.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2006, 02:22:54 PM »

Then there's something wrong with you.

When shall his new form be revealed?
The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2006, 02:43:40 PM »

You say it's lame to exclude the cables, yet you also say nobody has the capabilities to use them yet. So why would Sony give out cables for things that nobody has?

And I agree with Arr on the DVD front. You can't believe that video tech won't advance past the DVD, it's going to continue to change and, like Tan said, if Blu-Ray is the thing of the future then PS3 is the way you'll to go. It's cheaper than other Blu-Ray players and it's also a Playstation. That's the market strategy, the difference between now and last time is the fact that Blu-Ray hasn't been quite as established as the conquerer of DVD. When DVD first showed up it was considered to be a marvelous replacement.

And no $600 is not cheap, but after buying a 360 for $399 and then the HD-DVD for $199 you will be spending THE SAME AMOUNT as you would buying a PS3. So...what's the big deal?

The component video cable in the 360 is capable of being used as a composite as well if needed, which gives flexibility to the consumer. The PS3's is composite-only, no flexibility for the consumer...go buy the component cable for another $30+.

And the point of the HDDVD player is that you, the consumer, can CHOOSE NOT TO BUY IT! That way, your gaming console is $400...for gaming...period; and you can watch standard DVDs on it. The point is that you don't have to purchase a technology that you don't want. THAT'S WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL! Sony is not giving the consumer that choice...again, no flexibility.

But why should Sony give people a choice when people are going to buy it anyways? Hell they're going to sell a lot of PS3s even if it doesn't do great, and that will push Blu-Ray further than HD-DVD exactly because people don't have the choice.

Tan
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2006, 03:01:56 PM »

@Tan, the 360 premium console ($400 version) includes a component video cable as well as a headset and an ethernet cable.

Yes I know but it doesn't include a fibre optic cable nor wi-fi though does it? Unless I got shammed when i bought mine.  laugh
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2006, 04:15:51 PM »

Don't get me wrong I am not going to buy one. Maybe one day I will but no time soon.

Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2006, 04:34:30 PM »

Not at all, its a quality issue.
The blue ray player inside of the PS3 is not going to be as high quality as the one in the stand alone player. 
It is the same with the current gen systems that play DVDs.

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2006, 11:48:54 PM »

Sounds nit-picky to me. My Playstation plays scratched discs that my DVD player won't and it's picture is just as clear.

Just because I would have to control it with a gamepad doesn't justify me spending $400 more dollars, especially if I can get PS3 gaming capabilities with the cheaper price.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length