RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:58:27 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | The Gym | Michigan or Ohio State? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Poll
Question: Who will win the biggest game of the year?
Maze and Blue baby!!!! (Michigan)   -5 (41.7%)
Ohio State   -6 (50%)
What game?!?   -1 (8.3%)
Total Voters: 12

Author Topic: Michigan or Ohio State?  (Read 13542 times)
Mezmoron
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2006, 12:24:06 AM »

And this is why it SHOULD be Ohio State v. Michigan in the championship game.

Ken

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/Mezmoron.png[/img]
chrisbid
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2006, 02:41:41 PM »

i disagree, and i also think this shows why a college football playoff is a bad idea. 

if both teams knew going in that there would be a rematch, or both teams would be going to the playoffs, then the regular season finale would be mostly meaningless.  both teams would preserve their star players to avoid injuries for the more meaningful post season game, like NFL teams do after they clinch a post season spot. 

a rematch isnt really fair for either team, if michigan won, then how can you give one game more purpose than the other, with one win a piece, then you do not have a clear cut number 1. 

for all intents and purposes, yesterdays game was the national title game.  michigan played from behind most of the day and did not give up, and will be a great represenative for the big 10 in the rose bowl.  its obvious they are the second best team in the country, but its not very fair that they get two shots at beating number 1, a one loss SEC team or a one loss USC team should be ahead of michigan in the pecking order (a one loss ND team is not). 

there are still two more weeks of football, and anything can happen still
wrldstrman
nintedo completist
3DO
United States

Stats
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2006, 07:56:01 PM »

I love watching college football but polls and rankings get me fired up..The polls are so bias it isnt even funny. I think Michigan and Ohio state have good teams I think OSU probally has the best team. But when the two played eachother it was only there second hardest game of the season..Texas isnt that good this year they lost twice and should of lost to Nebraska. Notre Dame probally played the weakest scedule in division 1 football. With the exception of the sec  the big ten, big 12 and pac 10  have 2 or 3 elite teams and the other 8 or 9 are losing programs year in and year out..I would of liked to see OSU or Michigan play..arkansaw. tennese, florida, aubrun, lsu. alambama  with out a loss. And USC the pac 10 is terrible after them..
Then you look at Notre Dame  they want to be in the big east conference for everything but football..I think if they would of played a big east scedule they would have 2 or 3 more losses.. I just dont want to see them play the title game. But the polls favor them every year...I think a playoff would make for much better football   the conference champions from.

ACC
BIG EAST
PAC 10
BIG TEN
BIG 12
SEC
and the champions from the mac, sun belt ,conference usa  if they have a team ranked in the top 10  or take 2 at large teams.

need last 3 nes items  chubby cherub box, stadium event manual and complete myriad
chrisbid
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2006, 08:06:31 AM »

bah, playoffs make regular seasons worthless.  the NBA, NHL, NFL, NCAA Basketball, and now baseball, the team with the best regular season rarely wins now.  If there was a playoff in D1A football, then last weekends OSU/Michigan game wouldve simply been an exhibition.  It wouldnt have mattered.  The reason the game reached the intensity it did, was for the fact that it DID matter, it was for all the marbles
captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2006, 10:20:15 AM »

The reason the game reached the intensity it did, was for the fact that it DID matter, it was for all the marbles

Normally I would agree with you. The reason college football is so exciting is that every game does count.... Well normally it does.

You see Michigan still is number 2. However, if USC wins out then it looks as if they may end up #2.

And don't agree with you wrldstrman. Yes to a certain degree I do, but Michigan and Ohio State are top notch schools who could go undefeated in any other division. The big 10 isn't a push over conference you know? They beat each other up every year! Play-offs would not solve a thing.

Look at the NFL.... Did the teams with the best record play each other in the Superbowl last season? No they did not. Now I do think that possibly a  +1 game would work in college football. Have 1 play 4 and 2 play 3, and then have the winners of those games play for the national championship.

But even then you would have people complain because #5 was left out... Then #6.... This isn't March Madness you know Wink Don't get me wrong, MM is great for college basketball, but it just isn't feasible for college football.

Anyhow, I still believe there is a chance Michigan could play in the title game, but there are some other teams out there who possibly deserve the shot as well. Either way, these last few games will be exciting! (because every game counts)

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2006, 12:11:42 PM »

Damn

archetype
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2006, 09:08:46 PM »

Heard the game via radio while driving cross-country. Go Bucks!

It is not what happens to you rather what you do with what happens.
Mezmoron
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2006, 09:54:53 PM »

Let's see......Who did Michigan lose to?  Ohio State.

Who did USC lose to?  Oregon State

One of the OSUs is a tad better.

Btw, USC does not even deserve to be in this conversation since they will lose one of their next 2 games.

Ken

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/Mezmoron.png[/img]
wrldstrman
nintedo completist
3DO
United States

Stats
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2006, 01:03:30 AM »

big ten
illinios 2-10
michigan state 4-8
northwestern 4-8
indiana 5-7
iowa 6-6
minnesota 6-6
penn state 8-4
purdue 8-4

you dont think any of the sec teams couldnt of won all these games

OSU did beat Texas but look at Notre Dames scedule. I wouldnt consider them a good team

at Georgia Tech   9-2
   Penn State  8-4
Michigan  lost
   Michigan State 4-8
  Purdue  8-4
   Stanford  1-10
    UCLA  6-5-  got lucky at end should of lost
    Navy  8-4
    North Carolina  2-9
    Air Force 4-6
    Army     3-8

USC beat ARKANSAS, NEBRASKA, CALIFORINA, OREGON, WILL BEAT NOTRE DAME

I m not wanting to start a big debate but if anyone wouldnt want a playoff  the teams that think they have a team to make a national championship run should play other teams of the same caliber...I disagree that Michigan could of went through the sec without  losing at least 2 games .

Every year during the bowl games we see what teams with good records that play weak competion end up getting   losses.  Notre Dame I belive is going for 9 or 10 straight bowl losses...

When teams are in conferences they cant help the other teams suck or when games are scedulded what kind of team their opponets will have  so a playoff is the best way..

I wont disagree OSU probally has the best team in the country bu I cant say Mich is the second best team..a playoff would give them the chance to prove it.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 01:08:53 AM by wrldstrman » Logged

need last 3 nes items  chubby cherub box, stadium event manual and complete myriad
captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2006, 08:54:35 AM »

Hey, every division has it's "loser" teams...

Case in point:

SEC -
Mississippi  3-8
Mississippi State 3-8
Vanderbilt 4-8
South Carolina  6-5
Alabama 6-6

The ACC has a bunch of teams with good records, but who have they really played?

The Big 12's best team has 2 losses, so they are out of the discussion.

The PAC 10 has teams with poor records as well. USC hasn't looked all that mighty this season.... In the past few years, I would probably say that USC deserves to be #2 right now. I guess we'll see how they do against Notre Dame? Because unless they really wipe the floor with ND like Michigan did, then I really think Michigan is the better team.

If USC wins out and mops the floor with Notre Dame, then USC deserves to be in the big game.

Also,

big ten
Illinois 2-10
Michigan state 4-8
northwestern 4-8
Indiana 5-7
Iowa 6-6
Minnesota 6-6
Penn state 8-4
Purdue 8-4

you don't think any of the sec teams couldn't of won all these games?

I think any SEC team would have had a tough time with Penn state. You also forgot that they would have to play the following teams:

Ohio State  12-0
Michigan 11-1
Wisconsin 11-1

Hey, you made some good points, but you failed to see that every division has it's "easy games". The big 10 has it the same as everybody else, and everybody.... And I mean everybody has those "easy games" on their schedule.  Wink

Mezmoron
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2006, 10:06:20 AM »

Nevermind - This isn't worth arguing. 

The Big Ten is not a bad conference, in fact they are one of the top 3 year in and year out.

Ken
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 10:15:33 AM by Mezmoron » Logged

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2006, 10:31:59 AM »

I actually forgot the game was even on. My wife told me MI lost that night.

wrldstrman
nintedo completist
3DO
United States

Stats
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2006, 01:13:48 PM »

Hey, you made some good points, but you failed to see that every division has it's "easy games". The big 10 has it the same as everybody else, and everybody.... And I mean everybody has those "easy games" on their schedule.  Wink
[/quote]

All conferences have easy games thats why a playoff would put a end to all the bias polls. Just because a team went undefeated doesnt mean it has the best team it just means it was better than the teams on its secdule. With a playoff the season does still have lots of meaning you play for your postion in the play off,s  I would love to see these games played and if Mich and OSU are the best teams they would meet again for the championship.

osu
----------
1st round

wvu.
------------

florida
---------------

arkansas
----------------

usc
----------------
notre dame
------------------

mich
-----------------
louievilee

chrisbid
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2006, 01:38:39 PM »

a playoff would be lame the first year a team with three losses wins the whole thing

a playoff would be lame, when a heisman trophy winner gets injured in the first round

saturdays game in columbus was incredible becuase it meant everything.  it had the highest ratings for a regular season contest since the early 90's 1 vs 2 showdown of Notre Dame and Florida State.  college football is great becuase it is NOT other sports. 

in baseball the cardinals had a terrible regular season, and won the whole thing.  in the nfl, the steelers got hot at the end of the year to win it all.  basketball and hockey playoffs never crown their best teams champions

a playoff wouldnt settle any real debates, it only provides more potholes for top teams, and give more chances to second rate teams.  leave college football the way it is, let everyone every other sports league be sheep.
wrldstrman
nintedo completist
3DO
United States

Stats
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2006, 07:48:03 PM »

a playoff would be lame the first year a team with three losses wins the whole thing

way I see it , it would mean the team that the team that had three losses was better than the other teams..If they were so bad with three losses they couldnt beat the other teams in the playoff.

plus during the regular season home field advantage makes a big difference If the Mich  osu game was played on a nuteral field maybe the results would of been different

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length