RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:49:51 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | The Thinktank | Please Review These General Site Guidelines 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Please Review These General Site Guidelines  (Read 8259 times)
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2007, 09:47:59 AM »

I joined this site a few days ago to cross reference soe of our UPCs:
http://www.upcdatabase.com/
It was kinda insightful.

THe begining is indeed for the company the second part is also for the product.
I am also not certain about revisions but i think the ability to use 10 numbers 12x leaves many more possibilities for a UPC code than i could fathom this early in the morning.

Marriott_Guy
Console Librarian
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2007, 10:44:39 AM »

To get to a uniform data field for UPC for all entried in the DB, could we just not do a search/replace function to eliminate all spaces at once?  Obviously, I do not have direct access to the DB, but for those that do, this may be an option.  Even exporting it to Access, doing a search for " " and replacing it with "" would do the trick pretty quickly for all entries in the DB.  Let me know if this is feasible.

Also, to prevent future occurences (and work on our part in editing submissions), could there be a filter placed on this field that prevents non-numerics?  This might help stop the bleeding as well.

Terry  |  Marriott_Guy

Video Game Console Library  |  http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com
Speedy_NES
NES
RFG Friend
Belgium

Stats
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2007, 02:43:01 PM »

Regarding the UPCs, won't removing the spaces make certain UPCs alike that would otherwise be different?

Using a simple 12 digit number is as much for member convienience as it is functional as a search field. Right now we have two types, and since the search function recognizes spaces in between searches are hit or miss at best. We needed to set a standard so the whole database can make use of barcodes/UPC's. I've added at least 200 UPC's of my own to the database with spaces in them, but since that type was only used by a minority even I had to agree it was for the best.

I think it'd be better to have 3 or 4 search results which include the one your looking for than turn up nothing at all.  Tongue
I agree that it would be more convenient and easy to keep it uniform, but I was more concerned with using the data in the database to find relationships between items.  I.e. if two products have different publishers on the packaging, but the same producer digits in the UPC, it's likely that the publishers have more in common than meets the eye...and this info could be useful for people trying to document certain items or regional releases.  In other words, if someone were interested in collecting all items from a particular company and its subsidiaries, then all that person would have to do (assuming the database would be complete with information) is to type in the producer digits in a UPC search form (which would also be possible with the current method, but may yield more and incorrect/unwanted results).  It's really only a minor thing, so it's not too big of a deal, but it's really impossible to work backwards once the spaces/dashes have been removed, so that's why I thought it might be a good idea to change the guideline to using dashes or something of the like (and make the search field similar to the field used when inserting the cd key during a product install).  Just an idea Wink

TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2007, 08:37:34 PM »

Yeah, breaks don't really exist in a barcode, you enter it in as a long number into a register.

So, it's time to move this to the Thinktank.

General Public:

Here are the general submission guidelines for the database. Please review and comment, as these guidelines will help to ensure that we stay uniform and professional into the future. After two weeks, I'll write the final general guidelines, which will then be approved by the staff.

Please look these over and comment, these are really important to the future of the site.

Hello World.
TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2007, 08:39:30 PM »

I'm merging this into general guideline discussion.

Hello World.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length