RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:09:20 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | The Thinktank | The Next Project(s) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: The Next Project(s)  (Read 6834 times)
TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« on: June 03, 2007, 09:20:31 PM »

So, I am going to use this to rank projects and let you guys have an idea of what may or may not be in the future.

My Possible Projects
  • Downloadable Games Database (Med): A specific home for downloadable games. Needs definition and architecture established.
  • Progress Tracker (Low): Play a game? How far did you get? What did you think of the game? Where are you stuck? The world would like to know.
  • Online Matchmaker (Low): Needs downloadable database coded. But yeah, a better way to handle gamertags, steam IDs, friend codes, etc.
  • Excel Integration (Low): Read into that however the hell you want. Chances are it won't
  • Community Blog Extensions (Low): You people need to read the blogs... you might find something interesting.
  • Small Improvements (High): I go back to school Monday. I am a project manager for our transportation project, and I am double concentrating... so yeah, I have no life starting Monday.

Let me stress that anything above may or may not happen, and if they do they may not happen anytime soon.

So, why have I let you know of my next intentions? Well, the answer is that I'd like input, suggestions, and desires to be made known regarding things you like to see pertaining to any of the above, particularly with the submissions system. Do you think we need some more fields? Do you think that a field can be refined and stardardized? Do you want something to be incredibly anal? Do you want the site to help end world hunger? Whatever meaningful thing that is, I'd love to hear it. Keep in mind though that just because you suggest something does not mean that it will be added. Some things would just be too much of a pain in the ass, and we'd really rather not be changing anything really, really major in the system (see the ID system). But that having been said, I'd really like to know what you want. In my unending quest to make this site better I go to you, our members, for guidance.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 07:21:37 PM by TraderJake » Logged

Hello World.
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 10:10:53 PM »

By submit more info when you submit a new game entry does that include actual game page content and submission accreditation?

TraderJake
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 10:27:25 PM »

Indeed, it will also prevalidate the form so that you know if you fucked screwed something up.

Hello World.
Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 02:40:52 AM »

^^^Awesome.^^^

On hardware.
I think we need Cheat Device and Memory(aka game saving device) options.

Unless that is what storage is there for. But i assume storage means physical storage; carrying cases, cartridge cases, etc

Funk_Buddy
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 05:16:18 PM »

The multiple images at once will be fantastic. I tend to screw up when I'm clicking back and forth adding images.

The only thing I can think of is Japanese character support, but you've mentioned the issues with that already. And once the international ratings get worked out (unless it has been?) that'll be great to fill in somemore information.

edit-

Any thoughts on MSRP? I personally don't care, but I know some folks that keep track of that kind of thing.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 12:57:09 PM by Funk_Buddy » Logged

Slowly building an ammo fort.
Funk_Buddy
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 05:49:20 PM »

Has anyone ever mentioned adding a comment box to the submit information page? I'm thinking of import games again. It might come in handy for whoever is approving the additions. Example: I submit a game, but I'm not sure the title is correct. In the comments box I could say that I'm not sure, giving the person approving a chance to be sure and not having to go back and fix it.

TraderJake
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 06:21:36 PM »

I actually wanted to put that in the last version of the Submissions system. Don't know why I didn't, probably got too caught up with the ratings system, which has to be expanded / upgraded.

To guide this discussion, perhaps people should tell me what needs to happen and how to the ratings system to make it better. (Console Specific Rating Systems, Compilations)

Hello World.
Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 02:56:32 PM »

About the game ratings, is there a way to tie together all releases of a game and make them count as a single rating? For example, Ocarina of Time appears twice on the list: once as the original N64 release and another time as the Gamecube collector's disc. Another example: Super Mario All Stars and the Mario All Stars/Mario World combo cart. I think doing that might help make the top 100 list a little more fair and accurate.

Another idea: We should do a top rated games by year/genre/console/company or whatever.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 02:58:40 PM by Tondog » Logged

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
TraderJake
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 02:58:46 PM »

Oh, I was talking about ESRB, CERO, etc. Ratings, not those ratings.

But, to combine the ratings you speak of would be very difficult for entirely separate IDs; however, it may be doable for an ID and all it's variants.

Hello World.
Fuyukaze
RFG Friend
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 05:35:06 AM »

The ability to submit multiple images at the same time?  I think you just gave me the biggest nerd chubby this year.  I've been praying for that almost a year now!

Ok, as to my sugestions, most are personal wishes, a few may actualy help though.

1.The ability to see how many aproved submisions other have made if not what they've made.  This doesnt realy serve any purpose beyond letting everyone see all the hard work their fellow boardies have done in making this site what it is now.

2.Contrabution fields automaticly filled out when one makes software/hardware submisions.  I myself have had a few I've submited where I either put misc as the description for everything I submited, or just UP as I...had forgot to type C as well.  It'd help as some people tend to think their handle is also what they've contributed in adition to who submited it.

3.Getting the rest of the game ratings (ESRB, CERO, ect) would be apreciated and sadly that's one thing I've yet to get around to working on in the Japanese section.  I've had a few project which refuse to work right for me.

4.A list of HTML comands wouldnt hurt as I'd realy like to finish the staff page as well as fill in a number of blanks on game pages.  Reviews, trivia, that kind of stuff.  I suck at HTML.

That basicly covers all the things I can think of at 5:30 in the morning.  If I think of any more I'll list em then.

5.This was spoke of before, but I tested it tonite to see if it was changed or not.  It wasnt.  The ability for users to see and change submisions they've made that have yet to be aproved.  Be it new games to the database, edits to game info, or changing the image waiting for aproval.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 05:41:50 AM by Fuyukaze » Logged

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=Fuyukaze[/img]
[img width=470 height=155]http://gamercards.exophase.com/69469.png[/img]
Belgarath
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 06:05:03 AM »

All of that sounds good to me, and re: 1. I'd just like to see more stats in general, why should it just be limited to the last 5 updates?

and re: 2. I absolutely hate filling out the contribution stuff, even though i always took care to fill it in properly I did wonder why it wasn't automated, and as Fuyukaze says I've often seen people put simply "misc" or make a load of typos and even put stuff down that they didn't contribute which I doubt was purposeful but it all becomes a bit of a blur especially when submitting a lot of information.

Also it shouldn't be totally compulsory (at least for staff) to have to put something in there, a few times I've created new entries, noticied I made a typo and then have to edit it and put something in the contribution field even when all i had to fix was 1 letter.
Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 08:15:17 AM »

If you don't feel your contribution was major enough thats when you use Misc. Wink
Like changing the ' in that atari game.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 11:09:44 AM »

The ability to submit multiple images would be awesome!

TraderJake
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 12:19:05 PM »

Responding to Fuyukaze's Comments:

1. Such a script currently exists, but it is limited to editors and admins. Stats are fun, but we don't need people attacking people for not pulling their weight. Also, the stat script for editors is much more powerful than the one for regular members.

2. I've thought about it, but what happens when people do small edits? It used to be that small additions such as Part Numbers, Genres and the likes were submitted as Misc, but now everyone wants everyone to know exactly what they did.

3. There needs to be a rating discussion thread. The ratings fields will be tweaked, but I need to know how in depth they need to be.

4. I may add the ability to parse BBC to submissions, something that doesn't happen right now. So, similar to making a news post, it'd be just like making  a forum post.

5. I'll consider it, but then I'd have to write things that lock submissions for a while after they've been edited so that we know are being edited.

To Belgarath: 5 is a nice round number. Increasing that number increases load, and makes the right bar larger. That having been said, perhaps it would be possible to have a more stats page.

Here are some new fields that I've thought of for games, feel free to suggest more:

MSRP
Release Date (Would take priority over year), though not supplant it.

Also, if I added the ability to submit multiple images, you would still be limited by the max upload size of the server, currently set to 2MB. If people would compress images before submitting, this would not be much of a problem.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 12:21:47 PM by TraderJake » Logged

Hello World.
Funk_Buddy
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 02:51:36 PM »

Release date would/should be the same line as the year, right? Just change date to release date and set a standard for the format.

2007/10/10
10/10/2007

It's nice just having my nic on the page I've contributed to, doesn't matter to me what I've added.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length