RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:28:14 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Advice on PS2 games 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Advice on PS2 games  (Read 2119 times)
cverz2
Donor
United States

Stats
« on: November 12, 2007, 11:45:08 PM »

I am thinking of buying one or several of these games. Let me know what you think. Are they worth buying or just skip it.

Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Magna Carta
Disgaea
Disgaea 2
Dragon Quest VIII
Shadow of the Collossas
REZ
Gun
Red Dead Revolver

Any words of wisdom will help. Thanks
BadEnoughDude
Couldn't save the savior from savoring
Donor
United States
Awards: The 100k Man

Stats
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 01:39:42 AM »

Magna Carta is really beautiful, but SLOW moving. The story is slow, the battles are slow, the load times are slow. If you have patience, it's worth getting.

DQVIII is great, especially considering you can get for $20 these days (probably less if you look hard enough). Really good classic-style RPG.

I didn't care for Shadow of the Colossus. Nice looking, but the controls sucked and the camera angles are difficult to get used to. Plus there is no substance to the story.. it really just seemed like a cheap way to make a one dimensional, nice looking game. It almost seems like a long demo game.

Minnesota represent.
Wii - 3952 3192 4794 1209
PS3 - DudeBadEnough
Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 03:23:09 AM »

Shadow of the Colossus, Rez, and Gun are worth every penny.

However, make sure you get God Hand as it is one of the best PS2 games ever.

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
OatBob
セガ 信者
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 03:25:07 AM »

I thoroughly enjoyed Shadow of Colossus and would certainly recommend it, especially if you're a fan of Ico.  It was a great game for one play through, but I can't stand to play through the second time to collect all the special items.  Its sitting on the shelf with Katamari Damacy and others that were fun, but I've beaten (but not completed) and can stand no more!  The game isn't without issues, but the developers did a good job of creating a desolate, bleak, empty environment.  The Colossus battles themselves also provide for unique gameplay.  Just from the size alone it seems a hopeless endeavor, yet you always come out on top.  Pretty much the only actions are climb, hang on, and stab the thing in the weak point.  The camera is possibly the bigger foe than the colossus as it is difficult to control and often aims off at odd angles.  The numerous light filters through the display causes the framerate to lag often, but the results are stunning for certain frames and shots.  If you're doubtful of this, you can get a good feel of the game by watching the first two or three levels on Youtube.  They're all hosted there, and happen pretty quick.

I know Disgaea has a cult following, and I'm becoming interested in picking it up myself.

I can't say a whole lot for Rez.  I love the Dreamcast version, though it didn't make it here to the US.  Otherwise, the PS2 version is nearly as expensive, extremely difficult to find, and has serious framerate issues.  If you have an Xbox 360, a "Rez HD" remake is being developed for XBLA if you can stand waiting a few more months.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 03:51:13 AM by OatBob » Logged

it's thinking
y2richie
Jaguar CD
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 08:04:55 AM »

I skipped Shadow of the Colossus as I was only partially interested and then heard the camera angles were often an annoyance. I bought Gun and Red Dead Revolver at the same time because I don't own many western games but don't normally like shooter games. I played Gun first and slowly got into it but I ended up loving it. Then I played Red Dead and didn't enjoy it as much but thought it was still good. Gun seems a better game but that may just be the order in which I played them. Disgaea is great but you need a lot of time to play it and replay it over and over.

Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 09:30:13 AM »

I can't say a whole lot for Rez.  I love the Dreamcast version, though it didn't make it here to the US.  Otherwise, the PS2 version is nearly as expensive, extremely difficult to find, and has serious framerate issues.
Uh...frame rate issues? The PS2 one has a much  better frame rate than the DC one (60fps or so on PS2 vs 30fps or so on DC)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 09:31:58 AM by Tondog » Logged

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 10:30:04 AM »

I liked Gun on the 360.

It was nice to play a FPS that was in a war or in space. It is a bit on the short side but for me that is a good thing.

NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 12:30:49 PM »

I enjoyed Gun very much.  In fact it's one of the few games, I enjoyed enough to actually finish. Plus, it is quite cheap, I think I bought it brand new for $5-10 almost a year ago.

Mezmoron
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 11:06:56 PM »

DQ8 is one of the best looking games on the PS2.

Rez is one of the most fun games on the PS2.

Ken

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/Mezmoron.png[/img]
cyberfluxor
Jaguar CD

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 01:51:53 PM »

The two I don't care for:
Gun
Red Dead Revolver

I've played both and wasn't too impressed. It's not that they're bad (well, depending on tastes) but that there are better options. You're better off with Area 51, Kill Zone or Time Splitters: Future. All of the other games are good choices though.

Collecting CIB 5200 Atari and Sega Saturn games.
Check out my domain
I will purge your base for resources.
hXd
Algebraic!
SNES
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2007, 01:24:44 PM »

Disgaea
Disgaea 2
Shadow of the Colossus
REZ