RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 10:27:43 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Media Room (Moderator: wildbil52) | What Books have you purchased recently? 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19 Print
Author Topic: What Books have you purchased recently?  (Read 119334 times)
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #150 on: October 28, 2013, 01:23:53 PM »

wow, for $200 that seems like a pretty good deal for so many books
Zagnorch
MAJIN SONIC'S BLOODLUST MUST BE SATED!
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #151 on: October 29, 2013, 03:21:22 PM »

Some of you might be happy to know I've decided to broaden my literary horizons, and give this a shot:

[img width=325 height=474]http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y409/Zagnorch/LotR1_zps95319fc7.jpg?t=1383077812[/img]

[img width=438 height=434]http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y409/Zagnorch/LotR2_zpsddfab048.jpg?t=1382991534[/img]

Hey, for $1.99, why not at least try.

Wish me luck...
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #152 on: October 29, 2013, 03:40:11 PM »

techwizard fanboy. Wink

Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #153 on: October 29, 2013, 04:28:20 PM »

techwizard fanboy. Wink

Ummm... this wouldn't have something to do with Techwizard's ava, would it? 'Cuz I really have no idea. Just goes to show how deeply my ignorance of LotR runs...  Sad
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #154 on: October 29, 2013, 11:44:04 PM »

Some of you might be happy to know I've decided to broaden my literary horizons, and give this a shot:

Hey, for $1.99, why not at least try.

Wish me luck...

this pleases me, i hope you enjoy them! if you have access to a copy, i highly recommend starting on The Hobbit. it isn't 100% required reading to get LotR, but it definitely enhances the experience and will make a lot of references in LotR clearer.

as for my avatar, that's Feanor, a character from The Silmarillion, which was another Tolkien story set in the same world as LotR but thousands of years earlier. it was published over 30 years after LotR, posthumously, and is definitely not required reading as it can be very dry if you aren't a big fanboy. it's written as a collection of myths, and reads like a history textbook, but is still great to me and a lot of fans.
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #155 on: October 29, 2013, 11:47:46 PM »

also a lot of people i've seen who weren't ready to put their all into finishing the book always seem to stop within the first half of The Two Towers. unless you completely hate it, try to force yourself through that section because i hate seeing people leave it unfinished there when they didn't even get to some of the best parts.

the only other thing to note is that the style of the first half of Fellowship of the Ring is much different than the rest of the book, more childish in some ways. it gets darker and more epic after that.
nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #156 on: October 30, 2013, 07:29:48 AM »

You have my support Zagnorch, but be careful, I got married because she was named after a character in the books. Okay, maybe that wasn't the only reason but I use it when it suits me.

I was actually going to recommend you start with the Silmarillion but only as a joke because it's not at all a good place to start if you aren't already a fan and techwizard would have jumped all over me for doing that.

And remember, if while reading these books you start to think, "uhg, this stuff happens in every fantasy RPG, book and movie, and I think D&D does a bunch of this too" well, this is where they all got it from. Nearly all modern fantasy owes at least something to Lord of the Rings.
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #157 on: October 30, 2013, 07:33:05 PM »

And remember, if while reading these books you start to think, "uhg, this stuff happens in every fantasy RPG, book and movie, and I think D&D does a bunch of this too" well, this is where they all got it from. Nearly all modern fantasy owes at least something to Lord of the Rings.

Oh, I am well aware of this fact. Only thing is, Legend of Zelda notwithstanding, I've never much cared the whole medieval/renfaire-set-swords-and-sorcery-mystic-quest genre that LotR practically single-handedly popularized. Hopefully, I can overcome this antipathy, and become engrossed in the journey...
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #158 on: October 30, 2013, 08:39:59 PM »

Oh, I am well aware of this fact. Only thing is, Legend of Zelda notwithstanding, I've never much cared the whole medieval/renfaire-set-swords-and-sorcery-mystic-quest genre that LotR practically single-handedly popularized. Hopefully, I can overcome this antipathy, and become engrossed in the journey...

besides a few points, LotR is pretty mild on the actual "sorcery/magic" stuff, discounting the Ring itself. the most fantasy part of it is mainly in the creatures and races. The Hobbit is much more heavy handed on both counts, but it's also aimed at a younger audience so it's less about realism and more about a fun adventure than LotR.
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #159 on: October 31, 2013, 10:57:39 AM »

It's mild but it still spawned it. I think people just kind of inferred Gandalf shooting fireballs and such.

When shall his new form be revealed?
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #160 on: October 31, 2013, 02:34:56 PM »

It's mild but it still spawned it. I think people just kind of inferred Gandalf shooting fireballs and such.

true, and gandalf is still magical in LotR, he's the main source of that sort of thing, besides some obscure things the elves and nazgul do.
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #161 on: October 31, 2013, 02:39:15 PM »

Just bought Dr. Sleep by Stephen King.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #162 on: November 03, 2013, 09:46:42 PM »

i said i would resist buying more until i finished what i already own...well, today i bought 5 more used books! so my goal of reading everything i own is going swell. oh well, they were cheap paperbacks($9 for all 5)

The Aeneid by Virgil (translated by W.F. Jackson Knight)
As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner
Strange Pilgrims by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (translated by Edith Grossman)
The Bacchae and Other Plays by Euripides (translated by Philip Vellacott)
Frankenstein by Mary Shelly
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #163 on: November 13, 2013, 05:01:10 PM »

the local Friends of the Library booksale is this weekend...foreshadowing.
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #164 on: November 13, 2013, 11:05:49 PM »

[img width=700 height=525]http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g436/gpro83/20131113_214347_zps83c2a2e8.jpg[/img]

Had a pretty nice haul today, a couple of these are dupes but I like the style and this reprinted series will make it easier to track the chronology of the Drizzt stories. Gonna send the WoW book to a buddy though.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length