RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:27:37 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | The Gym | NHL 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: NHL  (Read 8102 times)
y2richie
Jaguar CD
United Kingdom

Stats
NHL
« on: September 30, 2008, 05:02:41 PM »

I'm a newbie to NHL ice hockey. When does the season start?

Will there be a Yahoo league to participate in? It could help me learn who is who in the league. I only know of a couple of players' names.

captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 09:44:32 AM »

I know that the season starts very soon. They should be completing the pre-season within the next week I believe.

I just checked, and the season opens on October 9.

As far as a fantasy league goes, I don't know if there is that much interest in hockey on this site? I've been a fan of the NHL since the mid 80's. Wink

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 11:12:10 AM »

Didn't the first match take place in Turkey? I heard something like that on CNN this morning.
captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 11:43:47 AM »

Didn't the first match take place in Turkey? I heard something like that on CNN this morning.

The NHL is currently in pre-season.

The regular season starts on October 9. Maybe they had an pre-season game there? Seems kind of odd to have an NHL game there? I honestly would have expected to see an exhibition game in Slovakia or a country like Finland?

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 11:57:19 AM »

The regular season starts on October 9. Maybe they had an pre-season game there? Seems kind of odd to have an NHL game there? I honestly would have expected to see an exhibition game in Slovakia or a country like Finland?
Ah, it could be a pre-season game, I'm not too sure about that. I heard it while having breakfast so I wasn't paying my full attention to it; but I do think it was Turkey...and that one of the teams were the "Rangers".
captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 10:27:45 AM »

http://sports.yahoo.com/n...amp;prov=ap&type=lgns

Yep, it looks as if the Rangers are playing a tour over in Europe. (Some teams do this to prepare for the season, plus it helps advertise the NHL)

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 10:31:36 AM »

Ah, I get it now. Thanks for looking that up for me. Smiley
y2richie
Jaguar CD
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 09:59:41 AM »

Ok thanks. It's my favourite sport right now even though I'm new to it. Go Flyers!!!!!!

TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 05:39:28 PM »

Hockey is amazing. By far the best sport to watch. The Cincinnati Cyclones one the ECHL Championship last year (AA Hockey). I was looking into Capitals prices.... it's horribly expensive. Welcome to DC!

Hello World.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 10:25:03 AM »

Hockey is amazing. By far the best sport to watch.
I wish we'd have the ability to see some games of the american league sports (NHL, NFL, NBA) here in Belgium without having to pay extra for it. (i.e. I wish it was on our standard cable)

It shouldn't be everything either, one game of each sport per week would already be more than enough to me. Sometimes I just wish there'd be something else to watch here than football (soccer) Sad
y2richie
Jaguar CD
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 02:38:48 PM »

Yeah I'm pretty much done with football (soccer). I will watch Ireland play but that's it. I can't afford to pay for PPV channels to watch NFL/NHL (I don't understand all the abbreviations in baseball yet!). Luckily I can watch Monday night (NFL) football on channel 5 for free but it's even better when my beloved Broncos are playing!

Re: Yahoo fantasy NHL leagues. I found that you can join public ones on there so that's what I'll do.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 07:11:56 PM »

I can't afford to pay for PPV channels to watch NFL/NHL (I don't understand all the abbreviations in baseball yet!).
Me neither. I'd just find it cool to have for free (so I can watch an interesting sport for once) but I don't want it that desperately that I'd pay for it.

Oh and baseball in the US is "MLB", Major League Baseball. Smiley Here is the wiki page about it.
y2richie
Jaguar CD
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 07:15:33 AM »

Thanks for the wiki page on MLB. I will check it out. I would love to have an appreciation for MLB. My American friends make fun of baseball players and how they aren't very athletic (pot bellies lol, chewing tobacco etc) and say it is slow and dull which isn't a good sign but by comparison, I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than watch cricket! So I'd love to get into MLB. I will probably buy a baseball video game and see if that helps too. I used to play 'hardball!' on the C64 and loved it but it probably wasn't very informative as an older game.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 10:19:54 AM »

Are there baseball games that are any good? I don't think EA makes baseball games...or am I mistaken Huh
y2richie
Jaguar CD
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 11:25:01 PM »

MLB 08 - The Show has got some great reviews. According to some guys I know it improves every year. I hope MLB 09 - The Show will be better than 08 as I might get that and it will be my first baseball game in a long time.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length