RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:11:01 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | May 2021 Shmup Club - Gunbird 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: May 2021 Shmup Club - Gunbird  (Read 19577 times)
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2021, 10:19:25 AM »

I'm I missing something? My saturn version doesn't seem to have a high score board.. or I suck and haven't made it on it yet.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Did you let the game's attract mode loop after you played, to see if it displays the score board?

@Cork - what controllers are those for the Switch? I haven't seen that form factor yet. Good progress so far!

@FauxMacho - excellent work, hitting stage 6 on Normal! And awesome scores for the lower levels clears! You must be playing really aggressively, and mopping up all enemies, and snagging all power-ups.

Corkman
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2021, 04:52:01 PM »

@Cork - what controllers are those for the Switch? I haven't seen that form factor yet. Good progress so far!

Thanks, man! I've been using these below instead of the standard JoyCons. I like these because the thumb sticks are much better. The D-pad isn't quite ideal but I like it better than the standard JoyCons. At least I can do Street Fighter special moves with them. They have a little meat to them and are more comfortable for me.

https://www.amazon.com/KI...rogrammable/dp/B087CJYG2M

Do not pursue Lu Bu!
Christapp76
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2021, 04:48:14 PM »

I tried Yuan-Nang tonight and got my best score so far on level 5 difficulty 390,800

Probably my fav character now

Her bomb mechanic is very powerful against the stage bosses

I think I made it to the last stage 🤔

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2021, 09:38:40 PM »

Good progress, Chris! The game has 7 stages, so if that's how far you got, then that's excellent. Hopefully you can get a clear this month Cheesy

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2021, 02:58:55 PM »

A little tip for anyone who hasn't picked up on it yet, but I just confirmed that the auto power-down in Gunbird is based on the number of shots fired, i.e. when you get a power-up icon, it gives you a certain amount of "ammo" to use, and when you expend that, you get powered down to the next lowest level. So it's not on a timer, as I originally thought. Conserve your shots when you can, and when there are short lulls in enemy activity, depending on your character, set up your charge attack so you can strike immediately at the next target, and you can use that to help stay powered up longer.

Geriatric.Danmaku
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2021, 09:50:17 PM »

Cork and I just played a test two player game with Fightcade.    It's loads of fun!  

Not quite perfect tho.   My side had some lag.   Cork was the server.   Did your side have any lag?  

Sometimes a sound effect would linger for several minutes.  

My play window size was too small.   Not the best for my aging eyes.

NONE of this should stop anyone from trying it out.

Fightcade plays Gunbird using the MAME format ROM.   I can hook up anyone who needs it.
zoydo
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2021, 08:27:08 AM »

Hey Guys.

Once again a bit late to the party. Smiley

Here's my progress so far:

Monkey - 757.900 (clear)

Child - 717.600 (clear)

Very Easy - 719.500 (clear)

Easy - 522.500 (St.6 Boss)

Normal - 480.300 (St.6)

TOB
Geriatric.Danmaku
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2021, 09:43:25 PM »

Nice... some REAL scoring there TOB!

And now for some UNREAL scoring.   This evening, GameBoy Guru and I teamed up to TAKE ON THE WORLD!!!! ! ! !  !!1  (version ROM of Gunbird).   Two players mode.   On fightcade!   And it WORKS!

But not perfectly.   There is some input lag on the client player side.   I was always about 3-4 frames behind, and could not realistily navigate dense bullet patterns.   But these days I have problems with that at the best of times LOL.

For the first time ever, I got a higher score than GBG.   Probably because I spent more money on credits.  Pay to Win!  1994 Style.   Seriously we continued with reckless abandon.

Everyone should give this a try before declaring their Gunbird experience completed.

* 2021-05-24 Two player with GBG.JPG (166.98 KB, 1008x1380 - viewed 282 times.)
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2021, 09:41:43 AM »

That was insane! I'm pretty sure the World version of the arcade ROM is harder than the original Japanese ROM set, but in 2-player mode, it ramps up to the extreme. You have to know what you're doing, and be prepared for serious challenge. We played a round, and then a bit later, I played around with Cork, and did the full 2 loops. One thing I made sure to do was move the window over to my tate monitor, and resize it, so I could actually see what was going on. In terms of lag, I don't know if I felt any or not. I was kind of overwhelmed the whole time, so I didn't take time to notice latency. I'll have to pay more attention next time, and see if I notice. We'll have to give Fightcade another go, but move the difficulty down to "Easy" and see if that's a bit closer to "Normal" in the original Japanese ROM set. Oh, and next time Geriatric.Danmaku.....stop hogging all the power-ups!  grrr  slick

Also, great scores, zoydo!

Corkman
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2021, 04:00:13 PM »

Nice scores and clears Zoydo!

I didn't notice any significant lag when I played two player with Geriatric or MetalFRO. But, I had been playing the Switch version so maybe forget my lag opinions.  Tongue

Probably after playing with a 2P for a while you start to get a good flow going and get used to the chaos. I noticed playing with MetalFRO using Yuan and me playing Marion, we had a high / low strategy going. FRO used Yuan's charge attack high and close to the enemies for big damage. I sat back with Marion and tried to cover FRO. Who knows if it was the best strategy but it was a strategy.

I noticed there were different interactions between characters between levels. Between Yuan and Marion, it was all about Marion not being a fully "developed" woman  Undecided Undecided But, I'm curious about the interactions of the other characters.

Do not pursue Lu Bu!
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2021, 08:46:59 AM »

Nice scores and clears Zoydo!

I didn't notice any significant lag when I played two player with Geriatric or MetalFRO. But, I had been playing the Switch version so maybe forget my lag opinions.  Tongue

Probably after playing with a 2P for a while you start to get a good flow going and get used to the chaos. I noticed playing with MetalFRO using Yuan and me playing Marion, we had a high / low strategy going. FRO used Yuan's charge attack high and close to the enemies for big damage. I sat back with Marion and tried to cover FRO. Who knows if it was the best strategy but it was a strategy.

I noticed there were different interactions between characters between levels. Between Yuan and Marion, it was all about Marion not being a fully "developed" woman  Undecided Undecided But, I'm curious about the interactions of the other characters.

Keep in mind, Marion is 13 in the game, so that should provide a bit of context. And given that, I wouldn't go in for a play-through with Ash and Marion. He takes an unhealthy interest in her, and let's just say when she gets her wish, he loses interest.

As for the strategy, I think it worked well enough, considering all that was going on in our run. I'll be curious to see what we get trying it again on Easy, and see if it more closely mirrors the standard difficulty.

zoydo
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2021, 11:52:28 AM »

Thx guys. Your coop-session sounds like fun too! Cheesy

TOB
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2021, 10:45:49 AM »

Thx guys. Your coop-session sounds like fun too! Cheesy

They were! I think going forward, I want to try and incorporate online coop play as often as we're able, whether it's through Fightcade, Steam, or other platforms/means. It opens up possibilities in some games, like this one, that change the experience enough that we will want to explore that more specifically.

Geriatric.Danmaku
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2021, 12:29:48 AM »

Heck yeah on the Coop play.   Those of us who are not planning on setting up a full streaming setup can have a chance to put in a few score attempts.   Just being on stream for a few minutes really amped up the pressure to deliver.
Iori Branford
Tiger Gizmondo

WWW Stats
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2021, 11:45:29 PM »

A little tip for anyone who hasn't picked up on it yet, but I just confirmed that the auto power-down in Gunbird is based on the number of shots fired, i.e. when you get a power-up icon, it gives you a certain amount of "ammo" to use, and when you expend that, you get powered down to the next lowest level. So it's not on a timer, as I originally thought. Conserve your shots when you can, and when there are short lulls in enemy activity, depending on your character, set up your charge attack so you can strike immediately at the next target, and you can use that to help stay powered up longer.
Thanks, I was wondering about this. Just my luck I didn't see it until after my last run of the month. But hey, got muh Stage 5. Feels like I could get further still if I could just stay focused longer.

* 0005.png (13.59 KB, 224x320 - viewed 290 times.)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length