RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:21:46 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Media Room (Moderator: wildbil52) | DVD vs. Blu-ray 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Poll
Question: Are you still watching DVDs or have you made the switch to Blu-ray? Or something in between?
I still watch DVDs and am going to do so as long as I can   -31 (67.4%)
I still watch DVDs but I'm thinking about switching to Blu-ray   -4 (8.7%)
I watch both DVDs and Blu-rays   -8 (17.4%)
I still watch DVDs but I only buy Blu-rays   -2 (4.3%)
I have already switched to Blu-ray completely   -1 (2.2%)
Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: DVD vs. Blu-ray  (Read 14317 times)
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2008, 03:42:06 PM »

If you're gong to buy an upscaling DVD player with HDMI, be sure you have the applicable HDMI cable. Some DVD players come with the cable, some don't.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2008, 06:52:18 PM »

It's a HUUUUUUUUGE difference. If you can't afford or don't feel the need for Blu-ray, that's your next best option.
Alright, thanks!! Smiley

If you're gong to buy an upscaling DVD player with HDMI, be sure you have the applicable HDMI cable. Some DVD players come with the cable, some don't.
Yup, that's the plan. Otherwise the 1080p upscaling would be probably lost which would make the device useless (since I can play a DVD in my PS2 if I wanted to)
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2008, 07:29:07 PM »

^
I'd wait until you can get the BR player.   The upscaling DVD player will be worthless if you plan on getting a BR player or PS3 in the future.

I recently made the switch because I bought a new projector, receiver and a PS3.  The projector makes for a very large TV, and therefore the differences in quality are very obvious.  The difference between BR and upscaled DVDs is huge, there is just no comparison.  If you have the TV to take full advantage of a Blu-Ray movie, it is equal to the switch from VHS to DVD.  (HDMI is a must!!!)

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2008, 08:10:24 AM »

^
I'd wait until you can get the BR player.  
I'll see what happens (i.e. how much money I'll have left after buying the TV)

I'm not going to force myself to buy a PS3 just to watch upscaled DVD's, even though I'll get one, eventually.

Besides, I like standalone devices, they're usually more quiet too. Smiley
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2008, 08:37:23 AM »

^And prices will likely go down after the holidays on either BR or Upscaling DVD players.

If going the PS3 route, I'd still wait until the console drops to under $200 but that's just my opinion.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2008, 09:43:35 AM »

^And prices will likely go down after the holidays on either BR or Upscaling DVD players.

If going the PS3 route, I'd still wait until the console drops to under $200 but that's just my opinion.
Yeah, I still want to wait a little longer with buying a PS3. At €250 I'd start thinking about it though.

So I'll probably buy the Upscaling DVD Player first to go along with the TV. €100 isn't the end of the world anyway. Should be fun! Cheesy
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2008, 10:18:58 AM »

^Sounds good. That way you get the most of your current collection of DVDs and don't have to buy any BR discs. Good way to same money. Cool

Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2008, 10:45:05 AM »

Indeed. Plus, upscaling DVD players are getting cheaper all the time.

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
bickman2k
Director
United States
Awards: 2017 RF Generation Punch-Out Heavyweight Champion!

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2009, 10:15:04 AM »

We don't buy too many DVDs any more. Mostly BluRay or even HD-DVD if they are cheap enough. 1080p is 1080p. Animation looks sweet in High Def.

We have been waiting more for movies to go on sale or cheaper on eBay unless it is something like The Dark Knight.

I am still impressed with the PS3s upscaler though. Monsters Inc. DVD looks pretty nice upscaled.

And if you don't have the proper cable, http://www.monoprice.com is your friend.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 03:45:42 PM by bickman2k » Logged

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/bickman2k.png[/img]
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2009, 10:52:45 AM »

The more I watch Blu Rays the more I like DVD's. Blu Ray is too clear IMO. Makes everything look fake.

phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2009, 12:48:14 PM »

That's a good point. Kind of like when you listen to music on vinyl, it sounds more "real" than a digitized version of a song.

Tan
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2009, 01:32:46 PM »

I've seen quite a few Blu-Ray movies with absolute shit transfers as well. It's hard to imagine why anyone would pay $30 for a movie with no special features and dubious quality. Mind you not every BD is crap, but the percentage of them that are is way too high for my tastes.

It's bad when you have to read a review of the disc before you buy it to see if they cared enough to put the effort into making a good version. Otherwise you go and buy the 2-disc special edition DVD with extra footage and bonus features for half the price or less that looks better upconverted.
gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2015, 07:49:20 PM »

it depends on the movie. if it's an epic or an animation, I prefer blu-ray. but with comedies and horrors, I prefer DVD

mumboking
Do you feel the heartbeat of the land?
PlayStation
United Kingdom

WWW Stats
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2015, 09:44:34 PM »

it depends on the movie. if it's an epic or an animation, I prefer blu-ray. but with comedies and horrors, I prefer DVD
Holy BUMP! A 6(?) year gap!
gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2015, 09:56:56 PM »

Holy BUMP! A 6(?) year gap!

In 2040, I'll tell you if I like 4k more than 1080p

(hint: I own a 4K TV but I don't have anything to play)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length