RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:16:56 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Media Room (Moderator: wildbil52) | DVD vs. Blu-ray 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Poll
Question: Are you still watching DVDs or have you made the switch to Blu-ray? Or something in between?
I still watch DVDs and am going to do so as long as I can   -31 (67.4%)
I still watch DVDs but I'm thinking about switching to Blu-ray   -4 (8.7%)
I watch both DVDs and Blu-rays   -8 (17.4%)
I still watch DVDs but I only buy Blu-rays   -2 (4.3%)
I have already switched to Blu-ray completely   -1 (2.2%)
Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: DVD vs. Blu-ray  (Read 14319 times)
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« on: August 17, 2008, 09:09:37 AM »

I was wondering how many people here have actually started watching Blu-rays and how many of you are still watching DVDs.

Me personally, I still watch and buy DVDs. Blu-rays are still too expensive for my taste Wink
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 09:23:03 AM »

I am using a 13 inch tv for my games, do you really think it can accommodate high def?  laugh

Tell me about your variants...
UNFORGIVINGPAIN
Donor
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 10:54:48 AM »

I still watch DVDs and am going to do so as long as I can.
I'm looking to buy a house, so HDTV and Blu-rays are at the bottom of my want list. I believe DVD's still look great on standard def TV.      
totalgridlock
Memorex VIS
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 11:32:11 AM »

I'm still buying DVDs. Blu-ray is just too expensive for me at the moment.

And frankly, I'm not too fussed about BR at all. While I *love* movies, the jump in quality from DVD to HD isn't great enough in most cases for me to care (it's not like the massive leap from VHS to DVD, for example).  While BR is great for new films, most older films being released on BR can't take full advantage of the format.  I'm not about to pay mroe than double the cost for something that doesn't even look much better. Also, most of the films I like aren't going to get BR releases any time soon.

Looking for a good condition Commodore Plus/4.
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 11:45:50 AM »

I still buy and watch DVDs, I have no intent of ever buying Blue-Ray as long as DVDs are still being made. Hell, I still watch and buy VHS movies.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 12:55:57 PM »

I'm still buying DVDs. Blu-ray is just too expensive for me at the moment.
Same here. Smiley

When I'm looking for movies at my usual store, cheap DVDs (=those that have been released for over a year) are like €7. On the other hand, Blu-rays cost about €25 or even a bit more! That's 3 times as much than the average DVD I buy!

However, after I get my record player (a Technics, only a couple € away from what I need) I will start saving up for a Full-HD TV. I'm guessing I'll have it in about a year (or maybe even longer) and I'm thinking of spending €800-900 on it. For that I expect I'll be able to get a 32" Full HD Sony TV. (since prices are dropping constantly) which would be a dream to have in my bedroom.

So if I get that TV (which should have like 3 HDMI ports) and eventually a PS3 too, I might buy a Blu-ray once to see what it's like. But that won't be for atleast 1,5 years Wink

The TV in the living room (my mom's TV, basically) is an HD Ready TV (she bought it because our old TV died) and watching DVDs on that with even SCART RGB is fantastic.

In my opinion, the whole "new media format" thing was rushed by a couple of years. Obviously I don't know for sure but I think there weren't that many people wanting something better than DVDs. (The poll indicates so, until now Smiley)
Ghost Soldier
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 09:36:26 AM »

I still watch DVDs.  I have no intention of buying anything that I have on dvd in blu-ray format. 

phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 09:53:00 AM »

DVD's only for me. I have no interest in Blu-Ray.

Raence
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 01:16:57 PM »

My anime collection consist largely of DVD's so I don't want to make the switch for that reason among the others already stated above. Although if they finally bring sailormoon over from vhs to blue-ray than they might have my attention. (As a collector, you can not sleight me for wanting that. Go watch Twelve Kingdoms or Louie the Rune soldier before you pass judgment!) Smiley
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 08:26:33 PM »

DVDs for as long as I can.

While I foresaw the death of HD-DVD I haven't thought much about the death of DVDs...and I don't see it happening for another 5-6 years.

When shall his new form be revealed?
dotDarkCloud (dDC)
Sega 32X
Canada

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 08:53:58 PM »

I'm strongly considering getting a Blu-Ray player in the next few months, but I'll only get a couple movies.

[img width=572 height=151]http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa88/dotdarkcloud/dontforget.jpg[/img]

"...shut up, shut up, shut up.... You're all nuts! Shut up! Let me talk. " - Free Waterfall Jr.
Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 09:27:09 PM »

Since I have a PS3, I've decided to make the switch to Blu-ray in most cases. However, if the movie is something that wouldn't benefit from hi-def or the price is a lot more on Blu-ray, I'll go for the DVD. I also won't upgrade my current DVD collection to Blu-ray unless it's a movie that I totally love like Tron, Serenity, or Back to the Future.

For those of you just brushing off Blu-ray and saying it isn't necessary, you obviously haven't seen a movie in the format. The picture quality is just so much better than DVD. And since there's more space on the disc, there's less compression of both the sound and picture than on DVD. On an HD display, an upscaled DVD does look good, but the Blu-ray image is just far more vivid and detailed. The difference is hard to put into words since it isn't really a huge jump like from VHS to DVD, but Blu-ray is really the refinement of what DVD SHOULD have been in the first place. Ever since getting into Blu-ray, the more I've realized that DVD was just a stopgap measure to bring us to HD storage.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 09:28:56 PM by Tondog » Logged

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
Haoie
CD-i

Stats
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 01:15:53 AM »

I'm a very late adopter.

So, I don't care for either, not for another few years anyway.

If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 05:27:38 AM »

DVDs for as long as I can.

While I foresaw the death of HD-DVD I haven't thought much about the death of DVDs...and I don't see it happening for another 5-6 years.
I agree.

Only problem is this industry is going faster and faster. By the time people really get into Blu-ray (and outselling DVDs aswell) there'll be another "new generation" format on the horizon. I expect this to already happen in 8-10 years. Everything to keep the consumer buying new stuff, right? Wink
den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 02:52:32 PM »

I'm sticking with DVD's for now. I'm sure I'll want to upgrade someday but at the moment there's so much great stuff to be had real cheap. Especially anime and other cartoons.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length