RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 03:56:47 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Nintendo Wii Discussion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16 Print
Author Topic: Nintendo Wii Discussion  (Read 32523 times)
chrisbid
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #105 on: September 22, 2006, 05:13:43 PM »

and where players fall down without being touched
Alabama-Shrimp
TurboGrafx-16
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #106 on: September 23, 2006, 09:59:36 AM »

yes football (soccor) the game for true woman, actors and overpaid homos great!

chrisbid
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #107 on: September 25, 2006, 08:12:42 AM »

i wouldnt go that far, but it certainly isnt "the beautiful game"
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #108 on: September 25, 2006, 11:05:04 AM »

When I want "the beautiful game" I watch women's beach volleyball.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Alabama-Shrimp
TurboGrafx-16
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #109 on: September 25, 2006, 03:41:29 PM »

anyway back on topic yo think the Wii is expensive have seen that the Europe PS3 will be about $250 more then yours (of is it Japans?) now thats a rip off

The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #110 on: September 25, 2006, 04:56:24 PM »

No god damn it! PS3 is not a rip off. You're paying for what you get. The PS3 will be an amazing machine, that's why it's so expensive, not because Sony has a big ego about selling a crappy product for lots of loot. Will it sell? We'll see. Is it going to be a better machine than any other system? Most definitely.

chrisbid
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #111 on: September 26, 2006, 09:45:46 AM »

here we go again

it is a ripoff, you are paying for a blu ray drive that will do very little to enhance any video game. 

if the PS3 had used a standard dvd drive with a next gen chipset, the cost would be the same or less than the 360.

convergence sucks
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #112 on: September 26, 2006, 11:41:33 AM »

Having a Blu-Ray drive is not a waste.  If you want to apply that logic then the DVD drive in the Game Cube was a waste.  You were paying for a DVD reader without being able to play a DVD on it.  At least on the Sony you will be able to fully use the Blu-Ray drive. 

It't still hella expensive though.

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #113 on: September 26, 2006, 12:09:29 PM »

here we go again

it is a ripoff, you are paying for a blu ray drive that will do very little to enhance any video game. 

if the PS3 had used a standard dvd drive with a next gen chipset, the cost would be the same or less than the 360.

convergence sucks

Did I say anything specifically about the Blu-Ray? Nope. I meant that in every way the PS3, at least hardware wise, will be superior to the rest of the systems. That's why you pay the price.

It seems that finally with this gen you won't have to spend $1,800+ on a PC to see good graphics.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #114 on: September 26, 2006, 12:22:15 PM »

Blu Ray is being forced onto the consumer. That's what I don't like about it. I will never watch a Blu Ray movie on a PS3 so why should I be forced to pay for it. Sure the storage is bigger for games but it won't be filled. Games are moving towards multi title releases to tell the whole story due to development costs. Make one long game release it in 3 parts to make more money. So with more storage for games does that mean more movie like cut scenes? If so that will suck ass.

chrisbid
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #115 on: September 26, 2006, 12:32:07 PM »

Having a Blu-Ray drive is not a waste.  If you want to apply that logic then the DVD drive in the Game Cube was a waste.  You were paying for a DVD reader without being able to play a DVD on it.  At least on the Sony you will be able to fully use the Blu-Ray drive. 

but it is a waste, to include DVD movie playback in a device, hardware companies have to pay a licensing fee.  nintendo went without this mostly frivlous feature in the cube and the wii. 

with blu ray, there is no real gaming benefit.  you get more storage space, but the only real use this space will serve is for more uncompressed FMVs. 

so in the end, you pay more for the actual console, and more for the games as sony has to recoup their per-unit loss by increasing the licensing fee to game publishers, who pass the cost on in the form of a 59.95 MSRP - it isnt just dev costs going up
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #116 on: September 26, 2006, 02:39:29 PM »

but it is a waste, to include DVD movie playback in a device, hardware companies have to pay a licensing fee.  nintendo went without this mostly frivlous feature in the cube and the wii. 

with blu ray, there is no real gaming benefit.  you get more storage space, but the only real use this space will serve is for more uncompressed FMVs. 

so in the end, you pay more for the actual console, and more for the games as sony has to recoup their per-unit loss by increasing the licensing fee to game publishers, who pass the cost on in the form of a 59.95 MSRP - it isnt just dev costs going up

Nope.  Sony owns the Blu-Ray spec so they do not have to liscence it from anyone. 

I don't think that anyone can say there is no benifit to having more space.  Just because current games don't use the extra space doesn't mean the games coming out towards the end of the PS3's life will not use it.  Sony is making it easy on themselves now and in the future.

The Blu-Ray spec is not being forced onto the consumer.  If you are only using the PS3 for gaming then what difference does it make what format the game comes in?  If you want to watch movies at higher quality than DVD you can choose the HD-DVD spec. 

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
chrisbid
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #117 on: September 26, 2006, 02:52:17 PM »

Nope.  Sony owns the Blu-Ray spec so they do not have to liscence it from anyone. 

ownership is not the issue, nintnedo saved money by not offering dvd playback, and while you are correct that sony does not have to pay itself a licensing fee, a blu ray drive does have a major impact on the price of production and the MSPR

I don't think that anyone can say there is no benifit to having more space.  Just because current games don't use the extra space doesn't mean the games coming out towards the end of the PS3's life will not use it.  Sony is making it easy on themselves now and in the future.

there isnt any space issue on current or next gen games that cant be solved with a simple disk swap.  dvds cost next to nothing to press.  which is a better value, two DVDs that cost a few cents each to press and runs perfectly, or one blu ray DVD that costs much more to press, and requires expensive hardware?

The Blu-Ray spec is not being forced onto the consumer.  If you are only using the PS3 for gaming then what difference does it make what format the game comes in?  If you want to watch movies at higher quality than DVD you can choose the HD-DVD spec. 

the difference is at least 200 dollars just for the cost of the hardware, and lots of invisible cost in the increased price in games
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #118 on: September 26, 2006, 03:03:00 PM »

ownership is not the issue, nintnedo saved money by not offering dvd playback, and while you are correct that sony does not have to pay itself a licensing fee, a blu ray drive does have a major impact on the price of production and the MSPR

there isnt any space issue on current or next gen games that cant be solved with a simple disk swap.  dvds cost next to nothing to press.  which is a better value, two DVDs that cost a few cents each to press and runs perfectly, or one blu ray DVD that costs much more to press, and requires expensive hardware?

the difference is at least 200 dollars just for the cost of the hardware, and lots of invisible cost in the increased price in games

So your main complaint is that new technology is expensive?  Brilliant.

There isn't any space issue on the current platforms that can't be fixed by swapping out floppy disks either.  Sony is making the experience better by not needing multiple disks.

chrisbid
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #119 on: September 26, 2006, 03:21:28 PM »

So your main complaint is that new technology is expensive?  Brilliant.

your main rebuttal is sarcasm, MORE BRILLIANT!!

There isn't any space issue on the current platforms that can't be fixed by swapping out floppy disks either.  Sony is making the experience better by not needing multiple disks.

more sarcasm, even more brilliant!

its an issue of cost-benefit.  for the extra cost, the benefits of blu ray are pretty thin.  swapping out a dvd after 20+ hours of gameplay is not a big enough annoyance that i am willing to spend an extra 200 bucks to fix it.

yes there are other non-gaming benefits (read convergence), a blu ray movie player will look great... when i purchase an HDTV.  and what is keeping me from buying one of those... price!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length