RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 06:59:39 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | PS3 prices 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: PS3 prices  (Read 8731 times)
yap
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2006, 08:54:49 AM »

Buying a Laser disc player, VHS player, DVD player or Blu-ray player when they first come out is a big waste of money. You know withing the next year or 2 the price for the technology drops dramatically!

I will take the "wait and see" approach to the whole Blu-ray trend.

Me too.  

Plus, who watches DVDs on their PS2?  Maybe someone does, but I think that's a horrible DVD player.  

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2006, 08:56:22 AM »

HD DVD is coming out too.
Blu Ray will probably catch on though because it is sony supported and it just sounds cooler.

yap
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2006, 09:02:40 AM »

Apple supports Blu Ray too, that makes it a winner!

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2006, 09:37:11 AM »

Me too.  

Plus, who watches DVDs on their PS2?  Maybe someone does, but I think that's a horrible DVD player.  

I do. Cool I'm either playing PC and watching DVD on PS2 pr playing PS2 and watching DVD on PC.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2006, 10:58:30 AM »

Buying a Laser disc player, VHS player, DVD player or Blu-ray

Man the only one I dant have is a Blu Ray player.

HD DVD is coming out too.
Blu Ray will probably catch on though because it is sony supported and it just sounds cooler.

Sony supported Beta Tapes. Do I need to say more?

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2006, 12:06:47 PM »

Yes but Sony is a much more imposing media figure now.

And Beta doesn't sound as cool as VHS.
Were as IMO Blu Ray sounds cooler than HD-DVD

(I had alot more written but it was getting way off topic and slightly incoherent)

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2006, 12:27:20 PM »

Yes but Sony is a much more imposing media figure now.

And Beta doesn't sound as cool as VHS.
Were as IMO Blu Ray sounds cooler than HD-DVD

(I had alot more written but it was getting way off topic and slightly incoherent)

I think HD-DVD sounds better. It goes along with with what TV;s are being called, HD-TV.

phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2006, 01:13:25 PM »

Gotta agree with Tynstar on this one. HDDVD will be more of a household name because HD-TV is already becoming one. If Joe or Jane Consumer goes into a store and asks for a high definition DVD player and the salesperson asks Blu-Ray or HDDVD, the consumer will likely know what an HDDVD is/does but won't have a clue as to what a "Blu Ray" is. THEN the salesperson will have to actually explain it to them...yadda yadda...and as soon as they hear that it DOESN'T play HDDVDs, and if HDDVD is cheaper, they'll likely get the HDDVD player. It's VHS vs. Beta all over again...

As this relates to console gaming, if Sony doesn't allow for expandability to include non-BlueRay HDDVDs they're going to be shooting themselves in the foot if 360 makes a peripheral that allows for them to be played.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 01:16:47 PM by phoenix1967 » Logged

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2006, 01:30:04 PM »

360 and PS3 have been rumored to have extrernal players for HD DVD and BLuRay in the works incase one takes of and the other flounders.

I am just going off rumors i have heard but it only makes sense.

jonlester
Jaguar CD

WWW Stats
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2006, 02:26:33 PM »

It sounds good to have a Blu-Ray player and console together for $600 but we don't know if it will be fully compatible. I know the X-box won't play every kind of burned disc. I'm actually thinking about getting one of the Blu-Ray burners coming out this summer which are supposed to list under $1000 but will certainly be significantly discounted somewhere before long, and I'll have the benefits of full compatibility and authoring. If I do this it will be as an investment in video work; I still hesitate to pay $600 for a game console for my own recreation.

Anyone know how long it will be before PC ports of games will come out on Blu-Ray? I don't know of any games that really require that much storage space but I'm sure they're coming.
jonlester
Jaguar CD

WWW Stats
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2006, 02:59:38 PM »

Correction: I just found the Samsung Blu-Ray burner is supposed to list around $500. That's already about the price range CD burners started in when they were new.
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2006, 03:09:35 PM »

I saw a single Blu Ray disc for 22 dollars. It was 21 GB disc.

Rejinx
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2006, 06:50:07 PM »

I think I understand what Sony is doing, but I don't like it..  Sony has sold more then 15 million PSP's (about 35% of the market) at almost twice the price of the DS, plus they've lauched a new movie media format that has a very high profit margin per unit.  

Sony knows that if the PS3 doesn't ship with Blu-ray on board, Blu-ray will become another beta-max. They did it in handhelds so they think they can do it in consoles.  It is about movie sales more then game sales.
      IMHO
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 06:51:24 PM by Rejinx » Logged

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=Rejinx[/img]
My Podcast: www.RetroRundown.com
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2006, 07:56:11 PM »

I almost spent the time to write a really long rant but I'm tired and I'll just say this: The market battle is won and lost in Japan, as we've discussed the Japanese don't want to play Halo, the Japanese want to play Boong Ga Boong Ga and mosquito sims. SONY makes more Japanese geared games so SONY will rule.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2006, 09:48:32 PM »

Sony knows that if the PS3 doesn't ship with Blu-ray on board, Blu-ray will become another beta-max. They did it in handhelds so they think they can do it in consoles.  It is about movie sales more then game sales.
      IMHO

Wasn't UMD production cut down alot?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length