RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:41:31 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | PS3 prices 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: PS3 prices  (Read 8653 times)
captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2006, 08:22:02 AM »

We've already figured out that ALL the companies will lose and have lost money on their consoles.

Man these two version things really piss me off. In the last day I've gone from "OMG OMG OMG" to "god damn you consoles I'm turning PC all the way."

I read somewhere... And I will hopefully find the link, but Microsoft will be breaking even by the end of 2007.

Sony will be shooting money out of it's pockets every time they sell a console.

Who knows where the Nintendo Wii sits as far as money lost or gained per console. I tend to think it will be about even money.

AndyC
RFG Friend
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2006, 08:25:21 AM »

Could all this crap about the companies losing money for each console sold just be a marketing ploy making the consumer actually think they are getting a bargain for the money they are shelling out?
Mezmoron
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2006, 08:34:30 AM »

No.  Working in the cell phone industry, my company buys phones at much, much more than they sell them for.  Now granted, you have to sign a contract to get a cheap phone, but still.  It's the same idea.

Ken

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/Mezmoron.png[/img]
captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2006, 08:35:11 AM »

Could all this crap about the companies losing money for each console sold just be a marketing ploy making the consumer actually think they are getting a bargain for the money they are shelling out?

I honestly doubt it. I mean yes they may be losing money on the console, but they make huge money on accesories, and yet even more money on the games!

I mean it really doesnt cost that much to put data on a disc on does it? (of course I am not including the process of making the game)

phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2006, 10:02:45 AM »

We've already figured out that ALL the companies will lose and have lost money on their consoles.

Man these two version things really piss me off. In the last day I've gone from "OMG OMG OMG" to "god damn you consoles I'm turning PC all the way."

With the 599 price, it's my guess that a lot of consumers (read: parents) will be opting for either the 360 or the Wii at the lower cost come Christmastime or they will be of the mindset that "For a couple hundred more, we can get a whole new PC".

Like I said before, it's an extremely risky price to come in at.

Mike Leon
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2006, 01:48:47 PM »

Yeah, I'm absolutely blown away by this price. It's ridiculous. They might as well put photos of aborted fetuses on the box. It'll be just as attractive to consumers.

I could stand to have my Wii serviced right about now.
NationalGameDepot
Virtual Boy
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2006, 02:49:59 PM »

Just another reason why I HATE Sony.  The PS2 were pieces of junk, most people had to buy 2-3 of them cause they already had so many games.  It kills me they stole Nintendo ideas to, I hope Sony goes broke and loses most of there market share because of this.  That price is crazy Shocked
~~NGD

captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2006, 03:49:07 PM »

Just another reason why I HATE Sony.  The PS2 were pieces of junk, most people had to buy 2-3 of them cause they already had so many games.  It kills me they stole Nintendo ideas to, I hope Sony goes broke and loses most of there market share because of this.  That price is crazy Shocked
~~NGD

laugh Nice post! Tongue

Seriously though, I still have my luanch day PS2. Of course I did send it in for a repair while it was still under factory warranty. It is just now starting to give me a bit of trouble.
(nothing that I cant probably fix though)

I see your point though. Who is to say this 600 dollar machine from Sony wont be another piece of crap that breaks down?

Might make the overheating 360 problem look like a cold compared to the plague  Tongue

NationalGameDepot
Virtual Boy
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2006, 04:55:04 PM »

exactly captain_nintendo.  

I hope PS3 is the biggest gaming turd that has ever been released, and Sony learns to stop cutting corners and make a  good product that actually lasts more than 5 years, like Atari, NES, SNES, they work forever seems like.
~~NGD

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2006, 06:04:18 PM »

You forget the fewer moving pats the less to break. Wink
PS was a stable system for me.

I don't have any other CD based systems that are "old" so i can't claim any other systems.

I don't HATE sony or MS(specifically the gaming division) or Nintendo. I get pissed off though when they fuck stuff up and wait to long to fix it or ignore it completely.

captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2006, 10:47:21 PM »

exactly captain_nintendo.  

I hope PS3 is the biggest gaming turd that has ever been released, and Sony learns to stop cutting corners and make a  good product that actually lasts more than 5 years, like Atari, NES, SNES, they work forever seems like.
~~NGD

Of course NES toaster models do need TLC. And the occasional new pin connector.

Seems like Sony got it rightwith the slim PS2? I havent heard complaints about it.

The 360 over heat issue was due to a manufacture error. I am pretty sure every model coming off the line now does not have that issue anymore.

It just sucks that sometimes these errors take a while to be corrected.

Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2006, 05:39:16 AM »

What everyone seems to be ignoring is the fact that the PS3 is going to be a $600 blue ray player, which makes it one hell of a bargain.  Even if you never play a game on it (though you could play games from the previous generation) you still save $400 on the first genereation of blue ray players.  The PS3 is a bargain not a rip-off.

Still way to damn expensive for me to care about it though. And Wii...

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2006, 07:38:13 AM »

What everyone seems to be ignoring is the fact that the PS3 is going to be a $600 blue ray player, which makes it one hell of a bargain.  Even if you never play a game on it (though you could play games from the previous generation) you still save $400 on the first genereation of blue ray players.  The PS3 is a bargain not a rip-off.

That may be true. It is a cheap Blue Ray player. But the average gamer can give a rats ass about that. Also I don't think a Videophile is going to buy a PS3 because it can play Blue Ray discs.

NationalGameDepot
Virtual Boy
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2006, 07:44:14 AM »

Of course NES toaster models do need TLC. And the occasional new pin connector.

Seems like Sony got it rightwith the slim PS2? I havent heard complaints about it.

The 360 over heat issue was due to a manufacture error. I am pretty sure every model coming off the line now does not have that issue anymore.

It just sucks that sometimes these errors take a while to be corrected.

NES do need a little work from time to time, but the difference is average people can fix a NES themselves, I only know a handful of techy people who ca fix PS2.  The Slim does seem to be better, but it really hasn't been out long enought to start having problems.  PS2's done ok for about the first year and a half then all hello broke loose and they starting crapping out.

I think Microsoft handled the over heat problem very well actually.  They may emerge with the most market share after all this new consoles are released.  

I just don't think Sony wanted to fix there problems because at that point, so many people had some many games that they had no choice but to keep buying new PS2 when there old ones crapped out.  If you 50-100 PS2 games, you have a small fortune tied up, and Sony own your soul them......can you tell i don't care for Sony that much laugh
~~NGD

captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2006, 08:40:49 AM »

Buying a Laser disc player, VHS player, DVD player or Blu-ray player when they first come out is a big waste of money. You know withing the next year or 2 the price for the technology drops dramatically!

I will take the "wait and see" approach to the whole Blu-ray trend.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length