RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 12:08:32 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | Community Playthrough Suggestion Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 37 Print
Author Topic: Community Playthrough Suggestion Thread  (Read 208292 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2013, 02:36:56 PM »

Though this is game suggestion thread
Lol yeah, I wasn't sure it really belonged here. That's why I added my "suggestion" on the last line  Grin

Oh yeah, we're glad you posted here. It is a "suggestion" thread. Smiley I think having a specific feedback thread is a great idea though.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Slowman
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2014, 01:13:12 AM »

I'm sure many of you have played it several times but Super Metroid will be 20 years old this year, March/April/July for Japan/US/Europe.  Great opportunity to clear it again or play it for the first time, as the case may be.

PSN - rswslowman
3DS - 1177-8481-5639
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2014, 08:34:52 AM »

Awesome suggestion and appropriate considering the anniversary. Super Metroid is known as a pretty difficult game so it would be interesting to see who would be up for the challenge. Thanks for the suggestion Slowman.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2014, 03:12:17 AM »

i'd be interested in giving super metroid a try because i really need to play the 2D metroids, i've beaten the Prime trilogy and that's it.
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2014, 11:11:13 AM »

I'd be into it. Many, including me, consider it to be one of the greatest games of all-time. I've beaten it a few times but I've never gotten the best ending or found 100% of the items so there is still work to be done.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2014, 11:53:17 PM »

Banana skimmed through this thread and compiled all of the suggested games. Naturally, a big thank you is in order, but this also revealed that there weren't many modern (2000-Present) games proposed here.

Please keep those suggestions coming; they really help us pick games for the playthroughs.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2014, 12:37:20 PM »

The big reason is that many of the retro games came from the 2 polls that we did on the other threads. Still, some more modern suggestions would be great. Smiley

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2014, 09:39:40 AM »

Modern suggestions, you say?  Here are some modern games that I've had my eye on lately, so maybe something here would be good for a community playthrough:

Bayonetta (X360 / PS3)
Beyond: Two Souls (PS3)
BioShock Infinite (X360 / PS3 / PC)
Dark Cloud (PS2)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (X360 / PS3 / WiiU / PC)
Lost In Shadow (Wii)
Luigi's Mansion (GC)
Metroid Prime (GC)
Resident Evil: Revelations (X360 / PS3 / WiiU / PC)
Shenmue (DC)
Valkyria Chronicles (PS3)

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2014, 09:45:33 AM »

Cool, added these to our ongoing list of suggestions. Thank you Disposed. Smiley

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2014, 09:46:20 AM »

Modern suggestions, you say?  Here are some modern games that I've had my eye on lately, so maybe something here would be good for a community playthrough:

Bayonetta (X360 / PS3)
Beyond: Two Souls (PS3)
BioShock Infinite (X360 / PS3 / PC)
Dark Cloud (PS2)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (X360 / PS3 / WiiU / PC)
Lost In Shadow (Wii)
Luigi's Mansion (GC)
Metroid Prime (GC)
Resident Evil: Revelations (X360 / PS3 / WiiU / PC)
Shenmue (DC)
Valkyria Chronicles (PS3)

All very good suggestions, and many we've already discussed behind the scenes. Shenmue would be a fun one, wouldn't it? Achievement: Beat forklift landspeed record.

I was playing Valkyria Chronicles about a year ago. I absolutely adored everything about it. however there was an insurmountable difficulty spike somewhere along the line and I had to put it down. I wonder if this is a common experience and if a group playthrough would be a good remedy for it.

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2014, 09:15:22 AM »

I have a suggestion about the threads themselves. I think we need to fine tune the way we use the spoiler tags.

- In the Parasite Eve thread, I've read some things that I didn't want to read. Nothing major, but I knew the game was going to end on a Navy vessel before I got there. I understand that the entire thread can't be spoiler tags, but maybe if we can be more vague in what we're talking about. Instead of saying something like "I died a few times trying to escape the ship at the end" maybe say "I died a few times in the final area."

- As for using spoiler tags, I don't think we can use them like this...

Today I
Spoiler (hover to show)

The problem isn't so much of what's in the spoiler, the problem is what's before it. We need to vaguely indicate where we are in the game before the spoiler tag. This way, people will know if they should be reading the spoiler. Maybe something like....

I have 14 heart containers and I'm near the end of the game. Today I
Spoiler (hover to show)

- Finally, I'm not calling anyone out in particular, but maybe it's not the best idea to post multiple pics of the end of the game 5 days into the playthrough. Even with spoiler tags, it's easy enough to accidentally hover over them. 

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2014, 09:25:17 AM »

Yeah, I think that the spoiler tags are getting a little out of hand, and I too am guilty of using them too much. Probably the best way to rememdy this is to make sure all spoilers pertain to information or helpful suggestions regarding the current checkpoint. This way, people can go back and look over them after the week is up if they so choose.

I know people are excited about finishing the game or, like myself, proud of accomplishing certain feats outside of the current checkpoint, but an accidental hover could really spoil something in the game for someone else. If you want to talk about finishing something early with someone who has already played through the game or with one of the moderators, I suggest just sending a PM and saving the spoiler posts for the week of the playthrough they pertain to.

No worries if you posted anything about spoilers, I'm glad everyone is enjoying the game. Going forward, let's just try to be more concious. Thanks. Smiley

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2014, 09:38:09 AM »

Good points there. I think we should save the spoiler tags for secret item locations, major plot points, and anything that isn't obvious to the player.

If anyone has played ahead I hope they can contain their excitement until that portion of the game is being played/discussed.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #88 on: March 05, 2014, 11:12:38 AM »

The best way to remedy this is to make sure all spoilers pertain to information or helpful suggestions regarding the current checkpoint. This way, people can go back and look over them after the week is up if they so choose.

I think we should save the spoiler tags for secret item locations, major plot points, and anything that isn't obvious to the player.

I like both of those ideas.

The spoilee should have some responsibility too. I was always behind in Parasite Eve, which was my fault, but I was scared away from most of the conversation in the thread. Using Banana's idea of only discussing up to the checkpoint, it would be my responsibility to only read posts dated before Feb. 7th if I haven't cleared the first checkpoint.

I don't think there is a perfect solution since spoilers can happen inbetween checkpoints. I can beat a checkpoint on the first day, but it would be wrong of me to start posting about things that happen near the end of the checkpoint. I just think we all (including me) have to be a little more careful.
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2014, 12:04:27 PM »

@JerryGreenwood: You can call me out. I agree with the accidental hover and have removed the pictures in question.

As far as a Retro suggestion goes I suggest Super Mario Brothers. I know lots of people have played it but how many have beaten it?

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 37 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length