RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 04, 2024, 09:12:35 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | The Thinktank | Introduction section? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Introduction section?  (Read 1392 times)
SuperGamecube64
Memorex VIS

WWW Stats
« on: January 05, 2013, 02:15:30 PM »

Hi! this is my post so I'm not sure how much validity it will carry here in this section, but there really needs to be an introduction area. As not only a member of several forums, but as an ex staff member of 4 forums...every good forum needs an intro area. It lets new users make friends quickly, and get's them going. I joined last night and had no idea where to post first, as for several years on the internet, I've always posted in intro sections first. I gotta say, there must be a lot of people that join and never post because of this. I know that sounds really silly, but people ARE silly. Just throwing my 2 cents out there...

Edit: It wasn't until just now that I realized you have a thread for this, but a section should still be taken into consideration.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 02:19:30 PM by SuperGamecube64 » Logged

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 04:30:50 PM »

Not a bad idea. I'll mention it to one of the Directors to split it out into its own board. Thanks!

NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 04:35:54 PM »

This is good feedback. So many of us have been here so long that we've lost the perspective of a new member so we don't realize what is difficult for new members.
Do you think a child board would be easily noticeable enough for new people to find? Like the "RFGeneration Archives" a child board would allow us to keep all the introductions in one place but wouldn't take up the space of a regular board.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 04:59:19 PM »

I think it should be its own board. The child boards aren't really that noticeable.

SuperGamecube64
Memorex VIS

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 05:40:17 PM »

I dunno, 9/10 forums have it as a child board and I've never had trouble finding them. Pretty much to the only people to worry about there are the folks who are not familiar with forums at all.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 06:13:43 PM »

i find the child boards on here don't stand out that much though, it was a long time before i even noticed them on most of the boards that had them. having it as a main board would be easier to spot...and you could include in it the FAQ and a bunch of help topics to point people to different places to get them started.

something that might be neat but i'm not sure how hard to implement would be a welcome page of some sort. something that only comes up automatically once(but could be accessed manually somewhere through one of the drop down menus maybe) and is sort of like a tour, having links to the major sections of the site with 1 or 2 sentence descriptions of their function. one of the links being to the introduction board on the forums of course, as a "step one" even, so that people will be encouraged to get involved in the community right away instead of lurking like many do. obviously not forcing them to do anything but just strongly encouraging it.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length