RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 05:22:56 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Weekend Wiring Warrior 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Weekend Wiring Warrior  (Read 1744 times)
Flack
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« on: November 18, 2006, 07:55:46 PM »

Every now and then, things get so out of control in my gameroom that I just get tired of it all and I tear stuff apart and rewire it. I was off work this Friday, so that was as good a time as any to once again redo the game room.

That's my desk/work area. I've got at least three PCs at any given time hooked up doing random things. The Compaq on the far left's my server, the Dell is my workstation, and the old school desktop is an old 486 used for oldwarez gaming and C64 disk transfers.

This area is a wiring nightmare. I like to keep 12-15 consoles hooked up and ready to play (I keep the rest of them in the closet). The top shelf houses three N64 units, each with a different console copier (V64, Z64, and CD64). The next shelf holds a Gamecube, PSX (dev unit), PSX (modded), and a Sega Genesis 3. The next shelf has my Sega Saturn, Atari 2600, SNES w/SWC Copier, and an NES. The bottom shelf holds my Xbox, Commodore CD32, Dreamcast, and PS2.

Here's a shot of the back wall of shelves, holding various games for various systems. I have another unit like this just for DVDs on another wall.

On the right wall is my projector. All the consoles, along with my PC all feed into the projector. On the floor you can see some of the crap I've pulled out to resort and/or file away.

These pictures don't really do the projector justice; it looks much nicer in person.

One of my wiring projects this time was to set up a place for my Amiga 1200, seen here running The Three Stooges.

A shot of the Amiga bay, with NES carts above it and Atari 2600 carts above that.

The C64, hooked up next to the Amiga. But where's the C64 monitor?

Well, duh ...

Ok, back to work. I gotta get this done before Thanksgiving.

NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 09:17:15 PM »

And I thought I was disorganized. 
I love the projector, what does one of them cost?

Flack
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 09:26:33 PM »

Projectors continue to increase in quality and decrease in price. I bought my Toshiba which does 1024x768 and 1600 lumens (the brightness) for about $1200 two years ago. You can get the same projector now for around $800; $1,200 will get you better resolution and more brightness. 1024x768 works great for playing games and watching DVDs, but if it did 1280x1024 I wouldn't have to adjust my computer's resolution when I'm piping DivX movies to it.

And the room isn't *that* disorganized. The biggest problem is not filing thrift store and garage sale finds away when they come in. They tend to pile up and then I have to spend a day or two cleaning, sorting, and entering all the titles into my database.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 10:44:51 PM »

Pardon my ignorance but what are all these copiers your talking about running?

Just ROM coping software i assume?

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 12:35:16 PM »

Welcome Flack!

captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 03:32:54 PM »

Nice projector you got there Rob.

Also, welcome to RFGen!

Ghost Soldier
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 03:40:39 PM »

Welcome to Rf generation.  Nice collection especially the projector.

Flack
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 10:51:04 PM »

Pardon my ignorance but what are all these copiers your talking about running? Just ROM coping software i assume?

They are more than just software, they are actual hardware units which can be used to either dump cartridges to ROMs, or play ROMs (on diskettes) on the real hardware. It's much better than emulation, since you are playing the games on the real hardware and using the real controllers. They are sometimes referred to as either console copiers or backup devices.

Currently I have two or three Genesis copiers, three or four SNES copiers, and three N64 copiers.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length