RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 09:07:39 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Sega Genesis and Master System Value 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sega Genesis and Master System Value  (Read 2741 times)
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« on: October 03, 2012, 03:25:38 PM »

I stopped by my local thrift store today and found out that they will be auctioning a Sega Genesis (with cables, a controller, and Caesars Palace) and a Master System (with cables, a controller and nine games including a few NES games).

I used to have a Genesis so it'd be nice to be able to play one again for nostalgic reasons. Never had a Master System.

My question to you guys is, what are reasonable prices to pay for those two Sega systems? In a perfect world I'd like to get a bargain, but since this will be an auction prices might escalate.

Thanks for the advice!

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 03:27:42 PM »

$30 for the Genesis, and it depends on the games for the Master System - commons, presumably $75?

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 07:53:37 AM »

Thanks for letting me pick your brain. This definitely helped.

I also had a look at amazon.ca and noticed that Genesis consoles are selling for $60. Would that be because USA and Canada tend to have different prices?

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 09:36:53 AM »

Thanks for letting me pick your brain. This definitely helped.

I also had a look at amazon.ca and noticed that Genesis consoles are selling for $60. Would that be because USA and Canada tend to have different prices?

Genesis console supply/demand is much different in Canada. RobotCowhand would be able to answer you better on the Canada side of that one.
In the US, Genesis consoles are often stacked up in storerooms because people can't get rid of them easily enough.

Razor Knuckles
& Knuckles
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 09:48:07 AM »

That is weird and I've never noticed it would be that different.

The Genesis Model 1 is so common that I usually can find one on any given day at a thrift store for around $5. I seem to find them more than any other system. But I've yet to come across a Master System in the wild. I know my local game store sells them complete for $40.
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 10:19:14 AM »

Genesis console supply/demand is much different in Canada. RobotCowhand would be able to answer you better on the Canada side of that one.
In the US, Genesis consoles are often stacked up in storerooms because people can't get rid of them easily enough.

Thanks. I'll try to get in touch with them. On most of my thrift store trips I'll most likely find a Nintendo 64, PS1, or the original Xbox. So, it seems to me the the older Sega consoles are rare in Canada... at least in Ontario.

That is weird and I've never noticed it would be that different.

The Genesis Model 1 is so common that I usually can find one on any given day at a thrift store for around $5. I seem to find them more than any other system. But I've yet to come across a Master System in the wild. I know my local game store sells them complete for $40.

The other day I found a Model 1 Genesis without any cables or controller at Value Village for $15. I've never seen either a Genesis or Master System so I'm kind of excited about this find.

Seems like collecting in Canada might be a whole different ball game than in the US. Especially when it comes to item rarity and price.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 10:21:03 AM by Fleach » Logged

slackur
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 11:27:36 AM »

^ I can vouch for how different the Canada/US markets are. Earlier this year, during my Canada trip l found several Genesis and SMS games I rarely if ever see in the states. Nothing ultra rare, but certainly different games in the retro stores up there than my local shopping here.

Keelah se'lai
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 11:32:12 AM »

^ I can vouch for how different the Canada/US markets are. Earlier this year, during my Canada trip l found several Genesis and SMS games I rarely if ever see in the states. Nothing ultra rare, but certainly different games in the retro stores up there than my local shopping here.

From when I talked to Robot last, he mentioned that collecting Genesis games in Canada is fairly difficult, and there's very little documentation on Canadian variants for Genesis due to the lack of interest in Genesis in Canada. He started a thread on SegaAge on Canadian variants if you're interested.

Razor Knuckles
& Knuckles
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 11:54:08 AM »

Since I live about 45 minutes from Canada I'll be sure to check out some shops in Windsor, Ontario next time I visit my aunt in Canada. I wonder what the difference is. I do want to pick up Sonic the Hedgehog there since they have the European version artwork on it.

One day I will make the voyage to the greatest video game store in Milton, Ontario. It's called the Toyratt. The owner cracks me up.

blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 12:21:41 PM »

In my area, Genesis stuff is extremely common and cheap.  I've picked up numerous consoles for less than $10 with cables, controllers, and games.  I don't really have any interest in Genesis stuff any more, so I don't normally pay attention to the going rates any longer.

However, Master Systems are pretty uncommon by me.  I've only seen two of them in the wild, and I sold one of them for around $60 with games.
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 12:41:46 PM »

Thanks Shadow Kisuragi, I'll have a look at SegaAge. I grew up playing Genesis, especially Sonic games, so I'm excited by the possibility to re-experience them.

I live roughly half an hour from Milton so I'll definitely check out Toyratt. Looks fantastic!

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 02:25:33 PM »

genesis consoles are somewhat uncommon in my area of canada, but i wouldn't say rare...and i don't remember ever seeing them going for very high prices at the average thrift stores. i bought my model 3 genesis CIB at a thrift store for i believe $20. the games aren't hard to find at all, most places with decent game selection always have genesis.

master system is another story though, i haven't seen one in the wild for years.
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 03:23:41 PM »

A Genesis CIB for $20 sounds like a great deal! My local thrift store sells consoles by themselves for at least $15. But I have found complete consoles for the same price at other stores.

I guess not all thrift stores are created equally.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 12:02:25 AM »

ya most of the thrift stores here sell loose consoles with cables and a controller for about $10-15, i think i just got lucky. the place it was at doesn't normally have much for games or consoles so i doubt they knew how much it was worth
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length