RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 04:11:15 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | Circuit City to close 19 stores 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Circuit City to close 19 stores  (Read 2648 times)
Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« on: February 17, 2005, 06:32:45 AM »

This is according to the Detroit Free Press:

RICHMOND, Va. -- Circuit City Stores Inc., the nation's No. 2 consumer electronics chain, said Wednesday it will close 19 superstores, five regional offices and a distribution center by the month's end as it attempts to improve its lagging finances.

Four stores in Michigan are included in the closings: Pontiac at 550 N. Telegraph Road; East Lansing, 2655 E. Grand River Ave.; Southfield, 28556 Telegraph Road, and Traverse City, 3123 S. Airport Road. A small regional office in Detroit also is slated to close.

Circuit City said it plans to close four stores in Ohio; three stores in Illinois; two stores each in Texas and Indiana; and one each in Wisconsin, Kansas, Tennessee and Virginia. A distribution center in Doswell, Va., will be closed, as will other regional offices in Miami, Dallas, Cincinnati and Charlotte, N.C. The retailer also said it has sold one of its buildings in its Richmond, Va., corporate campus.

W. Alan McCollough, Circuit City's CEO, said an analysis showed that the poorly performing stores are in locations that can no longer support the chain's superstores.

"The repositioning of our stores within these markets continues, and it no longer makes financial sense to keep some of the stores in those markets open," McCollough said in a statement.

Spokesman Bill Cimino said the retailer announced a similar round of store closings last February. The new closings, he said, are not related to the announcement Tuesday that Circuit City received a $3.25-billion buyout offer from Highfields Capital Management LP, a Boston investment firm that has a 6.8-percent stake in the retailer.

Circuit City's board of directors is evaluating the $17-a-share bid from Highfields, which says the retailer's operations would improve if it were taken private.

The regional offices employ only a handful of people, but the stores employ about 370 full-time and 540 part-time workers. Some of them might be able to get jobs at other Circuit City stores in the market, the company said.

Less likely to find positions within Circuit City are the Doswell, Va., distribution center's 63 employees. The retailer has no other distribution facility in the area.

Circuit City expects after-tax expenses of about $30 million for the closings of the stores and regional offices. Expenses associated with the distribution center are not expected to be material, the retailer said.

Circuit City also said it has sold a corporate building at its headquarters. The sale resulted in an after-tax gain of about $1.8 million, and the elimination of $12.6 million of long-term debt.

The 19 stores had combined sales of $170 million for the 12-month period ended Dec. 31, 2004.

Separately, Circuit City said one of its corporate jets crashed in Colorado early Wednesday, killing eight people. Four of the victims were company employees, none executives. Pueblo County Sheriff Dan Corsentino said the victims were a pilot, copilot and six passengers.

If I heard right, either this weekend or next weekend they are going to start closeout sales in the stores that are closing.  If I can scrounge up the extra cash, I will probably be there.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 06:43:43 AM »

Thank god there are none closing in Mass.

I don't go there often but it is good to know that the store is only down the road when i need something.

Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 07:17:34 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised if the Circuit City by me closed.  They havn't been doing any business since the Best Buy opened up across the street from it.  Plus, the Best Buy is prominantly located, and the Circuit City is kinda hard to find if you don't already know where it is.  

And damn, they are closing the regional office here too.  I guess the takeover of Best Buy has been complete.

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2005, 07:35:06 AM »

Circuit City is kinda hard to find if you don't already know where it is

Quote from: Captain Jack Sparrow
link=board=off;num=1108654365;start=0#2 date=02/17/05 at 10:17:34
Isla De Meurta is an island that cannot be found except by those that already know where it is

Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2005, 07:46:01 AM »

Yes, you need one of them fancy compases to find the store.
Also, if you steal anything from the store, you become cursed and forced to wander the sea for eternity.

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2005, 08:05:48 AM »

When are companies going to learn that opening tons and tons of stores to fast is not  a good thing?

Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2005, 11:20:15 AM »

Also, if you steal anything from the store, you become cursed and forced to wander the sea for eternity.

Ah, St. Xavier.  It's been a while.

TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2005, 01:34:29 PM »

Circuit City should never have gotten rid of their appliance department, they lost a whole lot of revenue when they did that, and now other corporations are reaping in the benefits.

It will be interesting to see which Circuit Cities close. I work at the Best Buy right next to the Circuit City hydrobond mentioned, and their parking lot is a ghost town compared to ours. It's dark, dreary, and foreboding, everything a retail center shouldn't be.

(An aside) Nep, Storm and I have no clue how that comment hydrobond made relates to X, especially that notion of the malevolent afterlife.

Hello World.
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2005, 02:21:23 PM »

Actually, they got rid of the appliance department because it was NOT profitable.  This was clearly evident when they had their clearance sale, the markdown was next to nothink , especially considering the cost of some of the appliances.  I remember seeing discounts of about $5 on a $200 item.  Of course, this was the extreme, but still, there wasn't much money in appliances.  Plus, when they dropped appliances, they added computer hardware and the like, a much more profitable area.

TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2005, 02:33:15 PM »

Actually, quite the opposite is true about appliance and pc hardware profits. Next to nil is made on pc hardware or computers themselves, but appliances do actually have a markup. Let's just say Circuit City lost a lot of revenue when they dropped appliances, and could have taken alternate routes if they were in fact losing money in the deparment.

Hello World.
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2005, 02:41:00 PM »

(An aside) Nep, Storm and I have no clue how that comment hydrobond made relates to X, especially that notion of the malevolent afterlife.

I couldn't remember what the name of it was, but it was a poem we read at St. X.  Jay figured out what the title is: The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, by Samuel Taylor Coleridge.

The poem's text can be found here:

http://etext.lib.virginia...Rime_Ancient_Mariner.html

It rawks hard.

den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2005, 03:48:11 PM »

or here

« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 03:49:12 PM by den68 » Logged

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2005, 05:08:01 PM »

or here

Thanks Den know I dont have to find a picture of that CD.

Jagdiesel
Jaguar CD

Stats

Champion of

More>>
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2005, 06:48:36 AM »

They closed the store in Fort Smith, Arkansas about 6 months after opening it.  They basically had a grand opening and no one came.  So, they said "F" this place and had a store closing sale.  My dad wasn't surprised as Best Buy has been there for about 8 years and has a stranglehold on that small market.
Hell, I only shop there when they have their $5 and $10 video game clearances!

Why dis hafta happen, Forrest?
You got shot, Bubba.
I wanna go home Forrest, I wan go home...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length