RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 07:34:59 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Cheetahmen II Kickstarter 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Cheetahmen II Kickstarter  (Read 7546 times)
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« on: August 08, 2012, 05:55:32 PM »

http://www.kickstarter.co...tahmen-ii-the-lost-levels

I'm sure that some of you have already read about this. I've decided to back the project and I hope it makes it's goal.

Here's my real question to you folks. What do you consider this? Does this effect the price of the original release?

Personally, since it is a bug fixed copy of the original Cheetahmen II game, released by the same company that released it originally, I consider it a variant.

Discuss.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 06:51:16 PM »

...if I cared, I'd sell my Cheetahmen II copy immediately. The price is going to drop immensely when a working version of it is released for what would be a relatively cheap price.

I hope it does well like any homebrew. The collector in me prefers that reproductions not get released, since it devalues the original and no longer makes it worthwhile to track down the original, but the gamer in me is excited because it's now available for everyone to natively play on their system. I love original homebrews, but I honestly am conflicted on repros.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 08:31:54 PM »

Interesting that you call this a repro. I consider reproductions to be copies of a game made by someone other than the original owner. Since this is still Active Enterprises, even though under knew management, I consider this a re-release.

I also agree that the original Cheetahmen II will take a price hit if this comes to fruition.

Razor Knuckles
& Knuckles
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 09:02:04 PM »

A part of me always wants to keep things in the past and move on. I'm going to sound like an ass as I usually do. But in some instances 'reproductions' can make the real thing more sought after in the long run. Nintendo World Championship carts actually didn't take a huge hit as most people predicted after the reproduction release (Though they did decrease in value). They actually are still highly sought after and cost a pretty penny. But that theory may not always stand true for all reproduction games. More than likely it will take a hit but will still remain a expensive and rare game. Over time it should recover and slowly increase in price.

At least most of these companies that produce reproduction cats have the common courtesy to label it on the product that its a reproduction as to not confuse people.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 09:06:19 PM by Razor Knuckles » Logged
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 09:11:16 PM »

Interesting that you call this a repro. I consider reproductions to be copies of a game made by someone other than the original owner. Since this is still Active Enterprises, even though under knew management, I consider this a re-release.

I also agree that the original Cheetahmen II will take a price hit if this comes to fruition.

It was technically never released, so this would be the official release, and the other carts would be considered prototypes. I guess I can live with that.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 09:31:31 PM »

It was technically never released, so this would be the official release, and the other carts would be considered prototypes. I guess I can live with that.

Very interesting, I hadn't thought of it that way. I would certainly agree with this. In no way do I consider this a reproduction.

Razor Knuckles
& Knuckles
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 09:41:06 PM »

That's what makes this reproduction so strange. Even if it was released back in the day it wouldn't of had the official Nintendo Seal of Quality. It's just a hack job from the start.

wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 10:23:50 AM »

I'm on the fence.  For whatever reason, I've never really bee interested in unlicensed games besides Tengen.  I just never really had any fun with them besides Micro Machines.  Still, it would be a standout in the collection and since the game works and is being released by Active Enterprises, I will give it serious consideration.  Being unfamiliar with typical repro pricing (even though it isn't a repro) is $60 reasonable for a boxed NES release?

Another question.  If you own a Cheetahmen II, does the fact that your copy will take a value hit bother you?  Does the fluctuating value of a game change the way you feel about having that game in your collection?

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 10:41:40 AM »

I'm on the fence.  For whatever reason, I've never really bee interested in unlicensed games besides Tengen.  I just never really had any fun with them besides Micro Machines.  Still, it would be a standout in the collection and since the game works and is being released by Active Enterprises, I will give it serious consideration.  Being unfamiliar with typical repro pricing (even though it isn't a repro) is $60 reasonable for a boxed NES release?

Another question.  If you own a Cheetahmen II, does the fact that your copy will take a value hit bother you?  Does the fluctuating value of a game change the way you feel about having that game in your collection?

You'll come over to the dark side at some point Bil. There are several good unlicensed games, and even the bad ones are sometimes so bad they're good. Well, except Super Robin Hood. That one drives me nuts.

$60 for a CIB title isn't abnormal. CIB homebrews usually hit the $50-ish mark.

I don't currently own a Cheetahmen II, but if I did own it I would still keep it. My collection is to keep, not to make money on. I have separate things for that.

wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 10:43:59 AM »

My collection is to keep, not to make money on.

YUP.

So if you are so sure I will come to the unlicensed game dark side, does that mean that you will eventually come over to the cardboard dark side Wink

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 12:29:25 PM »

YUP.

So if you are so sure I will come to the unlicensed game dark side, does that mean that you will eventually come over to the cardboard dark side Wink

I do have a small stash of CIB games... just don't tell anyone.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 04:12:51 PM »

YUP.

I do have a small stash of CIB games... just don't tell anyone.

I KNEW IT!!!

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 04:56:30 PM »

Does it bother me? Yes, but it would bother me a whole hell of a lot if I had paid what it was worth. Does the fluctuating value change how I feel about having it? Not at all.

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 08:56:29 PM »

I'm on the fence. I've spent more money on games that sit on a shelf than the $60 for the kickstarter, but if I'm going to support something I would rather fund a good game like Battle Kid 2 or a Nomolos: Storming the Catsle sequel.

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 09:33:38 PM »

Battle Kid 2 will be out pretty soon anyway Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length