RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:58:36 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Media Room (Moderator: wildbil52) | Favorite Horror Films 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print
Author Topic: Favorite Horror Films  (Read 59467 times)
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2016, 01:06:21 PM »

Night of the Creeps is awesome, the characters are so classic. Seen it multiple times and enjoy it everytime. You should check out Blood Diner, that movie is nuts, just completely crazy.

Me and my best bud watch bad horror movies all the time. By bad I mean stuff like Python, Sand Sharks, stuff like that. Horror movies that are fun to rip on. We always have a good time. I think that's why I like the horror genre. Its so fun to watch for different reasons and different moods.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 01:11:50 PM by Fokakis79 » Logged

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2016, 07:49:45 PM »

I think it would be impossible to pin down a favorite, as if asked I would likely give you a different movie each week as being my favorite.  For this post it is Nosferatu the Vampyre, that creepy German take on the silent original.  There is just something so disturbing about the cinematography in that movie, especially Klaus Kinski's portrayal of Nosferatu.  And the ending.  Soooo creepy.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2017, 08:42:29 AM »

I got an early start in gearing up for the Halloween holiday by popping in Bava's "5 Dolls For an August Moon" last night.  This is one I purchased on a whim after someone unloaded quite a bit of Bava DVDs at my local media store.  Last Halloween, I saw "Blood and Black Lace," which I was totally enamored with, and had heard that 5 Dolls was another Bava Giallo that I should check out. I have to admit, I wasn't impressed with this effort, and would have to contend that this really isn't even a horror film, but more of a thriller.  Sure, the same whodunit element of the Giallo is there, but all of the murders (other than a few virtually bloodless shootings) are committed off-screen.  One of the characters is super out of place and there's no reasoning for her being on a private island and not living in the only home present there. There's no indication of why she is even there, or how the others know here.  Bava certainly has some extremely beautiful women in all of his films, but especially in this one, because they all look like models, I had trouble distinguishing who was who and which "belonged" to which husband/lover.  The premise of the film is pretty good and sets up nicely for a murder mystery, but man, the payoff at the end frankly does not...well... payoff.  I figured out the killer before the movie was halfway over.  This film, though very beautiful in places, (Bava's use of color is like any other) falls very short in the entertainment category.  Curious if anyone else has seen it and what they think.   

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2019, 09:27:53 AM »

Well, it's almost that time again. The wife and I have planned out our annual October Horror Movie viewing parties.  This is actually our 6th year doing it and it's always a blast.  This years line-up includes:

October 2nd - The Burning
October 9th - Grabbers
October 16th - Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
October 23rd - The Howling
October 30th -  Season of the Witch

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2019, 03:33:31 PM »

Well, it's almost that time again. The wife and I have planned out our annual October Horror Movie viewing parties.  This is actually our 6th year doing it and it's always a blast.  This years line-up includes:

October 2nd - The Burning
October 9th - Grabbers
October 16th - Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
October 23rd - The Howling
October 30th -  Season of the Witch

Sounds great. And I’ve actually only seen two of those. I am a failure
Mr_Stubbes
Sega Genesis
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2019, 06:15:29 PM »

That’s looking like a solid list. Unfortunately my SO isn’t a fan of horror movies, but I always find the time to watch a couple of the movies they run on AMC during October.

TurnAroundAndRun
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2019, 09:05:52 AM »

I wish my SO was a horror movie fan as well. Anything in the horror genre I have to watch on my own, so needless to say I don't get to watch many horror movies these days.....

Praying something cool might happen
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2019, 07:15:39 AM »

My wife wasn't a big horror fan at first either. I think that the key is to find something kind of fun to get them interested and move on from there. Something like Shawn of the Dead is a good ice breaker. Once you realize that even the scarier films are fun group viewings, then it becomes fun for all involved.

MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2019, 11:02:06 AM »

I'm not much into horror movies, but my favorite is either the deliciously cheesy Night of the Living Dead remake from 1990 (with Tony Todd), Shaun of the Dead, or The People Under the Stairs. I also like the original House and House II, for the camp factor.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2019, 02:28:45 PM »

Those are all great films FRO. The only one that I have not seen is The People Under the Stairs.

MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2019, 03:45:37 PM »

Those are all great films FRO. The only one that I have not seen is The People Under the Stairs.

Really? I would highly encourage you to see it. What I like about it is, it's not a horror film in the "gore" sense, but more in that, it plays with your head. At least, that's what I remember from when I watched it. It's been a number of years since I saw it last, but I remember liking the psychological horror aspect of it.

Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2019, 10:00:01 AM »

Thought I’d share a couple of horror film collection photos with you guys. I’ve got a lot more horror but these are the two sections I have taken out of the main A-Z film collection and put into date order as much as possible.

First my Universal Horror/Monster stuff:

There’s no real definition of what is included in this “set” outside the obvious frankenstein, mummy, Dracula etc. But basically I go off the latest Wikipedia list, which does have some odd stuff on it. But whatever.
This films can be pretty tricky to get hold of over here in England but I get them when I can.

And my Hammer collection:

Which has a lot more films in it that it at first appears but most are in box sets.
I think wherever you are in the world Hammer is a bit of a pain cus it’s all owned by different distribution companies.
Disposed Hero
Blog Editor
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2019, 02:41:12 PM »

I ended up watching Pulse (1988), The Fog (1980), and Children of the Corn during September. The Fog and Children of the Corn are favorites of mine that I've seen before. Pulse was ok, but not something I would feel compelled to watch again.

The original Halloween and The Shining are staples that I watch every Halloween season. Right now I feel like I'd also like to rewatch The Thing (1982) and Nightmare on Elm Street (1984), so I'll try to make those happen. I may end up watching some others, but I don't have anything else planned.

Really? I would highly encourage you to see it. What I like about it is, it's not a horror film in the "gore" sense, but more in that, it plays with your head. At least, that's what I remember from when I watched it. It's been a number of years since I saw it last, but I remember liking the psychological horror aspect of it.

People Under the Stairs is good stuff. I also haven't seen it in quite a few years.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 05:29:51 PM by Disposed Hero » Logged

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length