RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:35:49 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Media Room (Moderator: wildbil52) | American Scary - American Horror Host Documentary 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: American Scary - American Horror Host Documentary  (Read 1837 times)
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« on: November 23, 2012, 08:32:29 AM »

[img width=600 height=843]http://www.scaredstiffreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/AmericanScary.jpg[/img]

The other day whilst I was searching for an appropriate birthday gift (a Svengoole t-shirt), I happened across the excellent documentary on the horror host phenomenon, American Scary.  If you are not sure what a horror host is, think what was happening on Mystery Science Theater 3000 with the skits, experiments, and stories.  There is generally in-movie interaction, but it is usually limited to noises and laugh/scream tracks (it really depends on the host and the freedom he/she has).  For those that are possibly more confused (I understand) the basic horror host formula can be summed up as thus:

- Really crappy horror/sci-fi movie
 - Host that dresses up in equally bad costume, usually with matching bad Dracula accent
 - runs skits/experiments/comments before and after commercial breaks
 - depending on host there can be sound/visual effects during movie

The amazing thing is this has been happening on the local level since the dawn of television (early 50's), with some limited breakthrough into the mainstream (Elvira, Joe Bob Briggs, MST3K).  While local television has been on a downward spiral for over 20 years now, there are still quite a few national hosts still operating, with the majority broadcasting in Ohio.

As for the movie, it covers the history pretty well with a few exceptions (no Son of Svengoolie or MST3K footage, not a peep about Morgus the Magnificent) and is well worth a purchase.  If you don't want to commit $24 to such a niche item, the movie can be viewed for free on Hulu and Youtube (legally).  While I feel I can only give a limited perspective on it (being a 35 year old male who saw the end of the old guard and the beginning of the new), I found the movie very entertaining and even a bit sad, seeing that much of what these hosts did will never be seen by anyone who didn't grow up during the time period (especially the stuff from the 50's and 60's).  Overall I recommend a watch.

I'm currently not providing a direct link for the Youtube version (the one I recommend watching) because I'm not sure if the admins would enjoy hosting a 90 minute movie.  That being said, click here for the search results, it's the top one marked "official"

The Hulu version (more commercials)

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
noiseredux
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 09:47:37 AM »

this has been chilling on our Netflix queue for months. Thanks for the reminder to watch it!

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 12:27:53 PM »

Holy shit. I just watched The American Scream with my wife and this popped up as recommended. Now I'll be sure to check it out.

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 02:12:53 PM »

We watched it. Very interesting and something I knew nothing about previously. Good pick Bombatomba, thanks!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length