RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:56:57 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | Any other Magic players on RFG? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Any other Magic players on RFG?  (Read 15056 times)
InvadErGII
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« on: December 06, 2012, 11:27:06 AM »

I've played Magic off and on (mostly on) since 1995 or so. It's easily my favorite non-video game, and after all these years it's still a lot of fun. I'm particularly into the EDH/Commander format these days, as I've pretty much always been a casual player.

Anyone else here play? Used to play?

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 11:32:40 AM »

I've played Magic off and on (mostly on) since 1995 or so. It's easily my favorite non-video game, and after all these years it's still a lot of fun. I'm particularly into the EDH/Commander format these days, as I've pretty much always been a casual player.

Anyone else here play? Used to play?

Our household runs a Magic RPG that we've constructed. Tongue

InvadErGII
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 11:40:21 AM »

That sounds pretty awesome! I would love to know more about this if you're willing to divulge.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 11:41:44 AM »

That sounds pretty awesome! I would love to know more about this if you're willing to divulge.

I'd have to ask my roommate. He used to write for White Wolf (Exalted), and has all the rules written up.

Silent Scythe
TurboGrafx-16
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 12:28:05 PM »

I've played on and off since high school. I still have a handful of decks constructed for fun but only played in 1.5 tourney when I was younger. I'm not very good but I love making decks centered around my favorite creature types/ favorite cards. Haven't played in quite some time however.

Would love to hear about this Magic RPG as well.
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 01:04:56 AM »

For some reason never got into it.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 08:54:02 AM »

I used to play A LOT, even attending some qualifier events. Lately I just Cube Draft with a couple buddies every 2 weeks or so.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
understatement
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 10:51:58 AM »

Well I’ve been mostly sober from this cardboard crack for about 3~4 years but now that a good friend has started playing again I seem to be getting back into it. I haven’t officially started playing again yet, but I’ve been picking up cards for decks in the standard and modern formats so I can start playing. Up until now I’ve just been doing the kitchen table thing with EDH/commander.

Anyone got any commander deck tec. they want to share?

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 12:10:30 PM »

I like Magic. But I tend to go through phases where I'm more into it than other moments.

To be honest, I find the game a bit demanding to actually play regularly. Going to card shops (usually quite late at night) is a bit of a hassle, and I don't have anyone here in the house to play with.

If you play completely casual, the game can be great and easy to get into. But competitive play requires too much time/money/effort.

Standard moves so fast, it's hard to keep up with it. Last time I was really into Magic (a couple of years ago) was around the end of the Shadowmoore block, during the Shards of Alara block and the beginning of the Zendikar block. Now I'm looking at the wiki page of Magic sets, and there have already been 3 blocks (9 sets!) since then. It's just hard to keep up with that, unless you're playing Magic all the time.

Modern and Legacy are better because your decks remain legal for much longer. But competitive Modern/Legacy decks are usually quite expensive, and understanding the metagame and all decks you have to sideboard against is quite hard. I've been comtemplating buidling an Enchantress deck, but there are quite a few expensive cards, so it's probably not worth the "investment".

I did attend a GP (Grand Prix) a couple of years ago, which was fun. I was probably the most unprepared player there!!! Grin But I still won 3 games, haha.

You could look here: http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck_search.asp (select Commander as format)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 12:12:25 PM by Sirgin » Logged
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 02:23:37 PM »

I never got into the whole Magic the Gathering deal. Mainly 'cuz I'm too dense to figure out the intricacies of playing the thing.

Another reason: the Magic the Gathering enthusiasts I encountered at the shop I worked at tended to be kinda scary. Though not so much so as the Pokemon players. And most of 'em didn't take their hobby too seriously, unlike the bulk of the Warhammer buffs who came around for the shop's weekly tournaments. So they did have a few redeeming qualities...
understatement
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 03:52:46 PM »

You could look here: http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck_search.asp (select Commander as format)

Thanks for the link; I’ve been there before a few times. I was, I guess, more curious of what type of Commander decks people were playing here if any. I have a Zur and Jhoira deck more for one on one EDH and a Hazezon deck for multiplayer.

Also anyone here know what Planeswalker points are? I was going to look-up my DCI ranking and apparently that has been replaced with this Planeswalker points and I have no idea what I’m looking at.

[img width=300 height=100]http://pwp.wizards.com/69935815/Scorecards/Landscape.png[/img]

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 10:12:45 AM »

Me and a few buddies have been getting together every Sunday for the last several months and doing Cube Drafts. One of the guys that comes has put a TON of money into his cube and keeps tweaking it so its getting pretty awesome these last few weeks. Its a lot of fun and I don't have to worry about buying cards myself Cheesy

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
understatement
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 08:20:08 AM »

Me and a few buddies have been getting together every Sunday for the last several months and doing Cube Drafts. One of the guys that comes has put a TON of money into his cube and keeps tweaking it so its getting pretty awesome these last few weeks. Its a lot of fun and I don't have to worry about buying cards myself Cheesy

That’s cool, I remember when a friend of mine had a cube but he lived about 200 miles away so the only time I got to draft it was on trips to PTQs and Grand Prixes. I’ve really been wanting to make one but the things holding me back are I don’t know if I can find 6~8 people I would trust drafting it and I sold off my power long ago I know it’s not needed but it makes it so much more fun.

InvadErGII
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 05:49:48 PM »

I have a power cube made of proxies that's a ton of fun. I am almost exclusively a kitchen table/EDH guy these days, but here's my unimpressive Planeswalker Points thing:

[img width=300 height=100]http://pwp.wizards.com/749528/Scorecards/Landscape.png[/img]

slackur
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 09:16:22 PM »

Oh, wow.  I, uh, was there at the start.  I frequented a local mom 'n' pop (Gun Dog Comics, R.I.P.) when Wizards were just putting the Beta through its paces.  Unlimited Rainbow decks, those were the days.  We never thought those cards would be worth more than the cardboard they were printed on, so we played ante, lost, and gave away stuff that could pay off my house if I still had it around.  The comic store gave away thousands of cards for the first few months, trying to generate interest.  My circle of friends got more into Doom Trooper CCG and a few others, (man, I just remembered the Sim City card game, that was the most passive CCG ever) but of course, Magic outlasted 'em all.

As a side note, I remember when R. Garfield's own Vampire: The Eternal Struggle was called 'Jyhad' and came out a year later, and there was a brief period where we wondered if it would compete with MtG, until it became obvious that it was a Madonna/Cindi Lauper competition.  Good luck marketing a game called 'Jyhad' now. Tongue

ANYWAYS, we kept playing fairly often, and the last official competition my beloved and I went to was for the Urza Block, 'Legacy' I believe.  Still have the T-shirt from 2nd place on the sealed deck tourney.   Cheesy

After that, some of our friends got so 'hardcore' about it that my beloved and I didn't have as much fun against them.  A few years ago a more recent friend found we used to play and challenged me with his then-unbeatable Sliver deck.  My White/Blue Lockdown variant was obviously too slow and was destroyed, but my classic Red Burn took him down.  My Artifact/Control tied him, and those were all the decks I still had built.

Since then, I've just gone back into retirement.  So much time, money, and card-tracking, not to mention rules updates.  Out of all my old hobbies, I had to pick what I'd still keep up with, and MtG lost out too the obvious.

And a final mental image to those who want to know how we never knew what we had back then, my buddy had his 1 1/2 year old with him while we played, and she had a bad habit of picking up and chewing on the cards.  It was annoying and inconvenient, and some cards were certainly harder to find than others back then, but hey, just cards, buy another booster.

Three words.  Beta. Black. Lotus.

I miss those freewheeling Magic days.

Oh, that reminds me; my personal favorite R. Garfield CCG was Netrunner, released in '96.  I had given all my cards away almost 15 years ago and thought about looking to get it again for my beloved and I to play, and low and behold Fantasy Flight Games bought the game and remade it into Android: Netrunner.  I picked up the base game for our anniversary and it was really fun.  Not quite as good as the original, but certainly cheaper to acquire now.

Keelah se'lai
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length