RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:09:18 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | Genre/Subgenre Restructuring 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Genre/Subgenre Restructuring  (Read 12715 times)
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 05:12:03 PM »

That is why i have text in italics to hopefully denote the reason for all 3 of them.
Which are more confused than any other genre.

Action/Adventure being used as a catch all was probably the primary reason for the restructuring.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 05:27:09 PM »

One thing that jumps out to me right away is that there are Shoot Em Ups within the action genre, but 'shooters' are another category. There seems to be a good distinction between them but I could see this being potentially confusing.

I had similar thoughts in the VIP thread, but it seems modern terms (i.e. shmups are no longer shooters, FPS has stolen the genre title) are what is going here.

GENRE/SUBGENRE for every title in the database will be reset, and it will be up to EVERYONE on the site to fill them back in.

Will there be any reference to what they were set to? I could imagine some obscure foreign games that someone submitted a long time ago that no one presently may remember what they are.

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 05:30:10 PM »

In response for Shadow quote:
That was my initial concern in the staff forums too. I would like the reset to not clear out existing Genre/Subgenre information. Hopefully much like the release type field we can find a way to differentiate between new and old to see what has been corrected and what has not.

In response to Shooters:
Trying to split them up into clearly defined genres has been EXTREMELY hard. Initially i had wanted to come up with terms that would clearly and obviously define them each as shooter but would also define the differences of each.
Since yes Halo and Space Invaders are both shooters, Call of Duty and Asteroids are both shooters. But they are completely different in a way that they do not belong in the same category.

But the definition i have chosen to use for Action fits "classic" shooters into that.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 05:32:38 PM by Izret101 » Logged

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 06:18:37 PM »

Couldn't we get rid of the whole Vehicular Combat genre?  It seems that most of the subgenres in that genre could go over to Action, seeing that the primary focus is on action and also fit your definition of the Action genre (timing, precision, reaction).

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2012, 06:42:08 PM »

Responded to PM.
Vehicular combat stands. They are in most cases shooters(AGAIN WITH THE SHOOTERS) But unlike "Modern" vs "Classic" shooters we had a way to actually clarify the differences that people could easily understand.

Vigilante 8 is a racing game... well kinda.
Vigialnte 8 is a shooter... more or less.
Vigilante 8 is vehicular combat. DEFINITELY!

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2012, 07:16:27 PM »

Would it be better to make vehicle combat a subgenre of action? Or a subgenre or shooting? Or a subgenre of racing?

Classification gets crazy, its a constant debate in my field of work.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 01:00:24 PM »

carnival? under somthing, like the mini game stuff or putt putt golf...

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2012, 04:07:50 AM »

there's no correlation between vigilante 8 and racing games besides the fact that cars are in them. i can't speak for other games like that because that's the only one i have experience with. also i'm not sure about carnival (haven't played it), but it sounds like it would be under minigames...there are a million games that could be up for debate, everything would have to be thought about on a case by case basis and there will always be differing opinions, no matter how much we try to narrow things down.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2012, 10:19:10 AM »

Lets not be overzealous with reducing the amount of genres. Having a fine-grained array of subgenres is the beauty of this system and should allow for some very specific searches once everything is filled out. Lumping everything together in Action/adventure (as is the case with 50% of the DB today) serves no one.
oyang
Tiger Gizmondo

Poland

Stats
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2012, 02:50:28 PM »

Hi,
One thing that is coming to my mind is that Tycoon subgenre is more Strategy than Simulation. The same with all the Manager games where you really don't play football/soccer or ride bike like Football Manager or Championship Manager, Cycling Manager etc.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 03:38:28 PM by oyang » Logged
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2012, 03:54:48 PM »

Genres from Xbox.com:
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games

Strategy and Sim are in the same genre listing. Doesn't help Sad

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2012, 03:57:33 PM »

but they're supposed to be more like simulating the different business jobs in the theme park, like construction manager, finance manager, human resources, marketting, etc. it's not meant to simulate being a customer and riding the rides (though some do let you do that as an extra feature).
Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2012, 04:09:21 PM »

Hi,
One thing that is coming to my mind is that Tycoon subgenre is more Strategy than Simulation. The same with all the Manager games where you really don't play football/soccer or ride bike like Football Manager or Championship Manager, Cycling Manager etc.

Sports games where you simulate being a manager or team owner or coach or whatever go under as it stands now.

Genre:Sports
Subgenre: Sim

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2012, 05:21:55 PM »

Hi,

I disagree.

To me, simulation games are stuff like the Tycoon games, The Sims, "virtual pet" games, sports manager simulation games or any games that involve simulating something else (games that simulate board games could fit this too, although there might be a seperate genre for that).

"Strategy" is to me: Age of Empires, Warcraft, ... (Real-Time Strategy) or Civilization, Heroes of Might & Magic (Turn-based strategy).

Then there's stuff like Final Fantasy Tactics, which some might list under Strategy. Although to me, those are RPG -> Tactical RPG.

I agree with Izret on the sports manager games.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 05:24:00 PM by Sirgin » Logged
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2012, 07:30:42 PM »

"Strategy" is to me: Age of Empires, Warcraft, ... (Real-Time Strategy) or Civilization, Heroes of Might & Magic (Turn-based strategy).

Then there's stuff like Final Fantasy Tactics, which some might list under Strategy. Although to me, those are RPG -> Tactical RPG.

Thank you, Sirgin.  I would support the subgenre Tactical being under the genre RPG, seeing is that while these types of games (Disgaea, FF Tactics) are tactical by nature (i.e., short-term, versus the long-term goals that accompany a strategy game) they almost always have a strong RPG feel to them, which pretty much all strategy games lack.  Makes me wonder if Tactical should be under RPG, Strategy, or both...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 07:36:50 PM by bombatomba » Logged

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length