RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:19:00 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | RF Generation Podcasts (Moderators: Crabmaster2000, Duke.Togo, wildbil52) | Official Collectorcast topic suggestion thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Print
Author Topic: Official Collectorcast topic suggestion thread  (Read 129433 times)
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #120 on: July 18, 2014, 12:28:02 PM »

We're famous!

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #121 on: July 18, 2014, 01:05:53 PM »

So...apparently, everyone likes Collectorz. If we were getting $25/yr from every member just for usage of our database, I think I'd be able to do a LOT better job than they're doing. Seems like I need to get off my ass and make the site look prettier, since we're obviously more content focused. Wink

Feel free to reach out - obviously, I'd love some feedback from him in any case, but I'd like to return the favor for some of the face time he gave us.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 01:08:37 PM by Shadow Kisuragi » Logged

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #122 on: July 18, 2014, 02:44:21 PM »

really happy that he looked at us now and not during all the server issues, that was a great plug! most of the comments seemed to be favouring VGCollect so i put in the good word for rfg Smiley
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #123 on: July 18, 2014, 02:47:51 PM »

Collectorz is the one everyone's fine for paying for. Ugh.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #124 on: July 18, 2014, 03:26:45 PM »

Collectorz is the one everyone's fine for paying for. Ugh.

Plus, it has that snazzy "Z"

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #125 on: July 18, 2014, 03:34:10 PM »

All the cool kids... I mean kidz are spelling plural wordz with "Z" now, don't ya konw?

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #126 on: July 18, 2014, 03:38:15 PM »

So I guess what we should do is pay Shadow so he can quit his job and work on the site full time?

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #127 on: July 18, 2014, 03:51:22 PM »

Actually, just pay me for a couple weeks, maybe a month... Wink
First: Fixing the blog system.

NeoMagicWarrior
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #128 on: August 19, 2014, 09:27:22 PM »

Per Duke's request so he won't forget:

Show topic: Games you stopped playing.

Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #129 on: December 07, 2014, 01:04:28 PM »

Hey now.

Don't you think this entire board should be renamed RF Generation CollectorCasts, seeing as how the only other active RF Gen podcast, PlayCast, posts its discussion threads in the Community Playthroughs child board of the Video Game Generation forum? Yeah, let's do that! Make this a CollectorCast-exclusive forum! That's what those elitist PlayCast dolts deserve for thinking they're too good for us!

Who's with me on this?!

On a more serious note: How about a show where you discuss parental responsibilities and control when it comes to introducing the kids to the wonderful world of vidya? Yeah, I know, this is a strange suggestion from someone who hates young'uns and violently recoils at the notion of parenthood before laying in a fetal position on the floor for hours, whimpering. Okay, so I possess a contradictory nature, sue me.

ANYway, points of discussion could include, but not be limited to...

- Games that you consider appropriate for certain age levels. Not just based on content, but also on the child's abilities and skill level. Your takes on the ESRB rating system, and perhaps the various international rating systems (PEGI immediately comes to mind) could be added to this particular discussion. And this could lead into...

- Judging whether or not a child is emotionally mature enough to play certain games that fall outside of his/her age bracket. I'll use my own childhood experiences with "mature" media as examples. I started watching and listening to the stand-up routines of George Carlin-- a decidedly adult-oriented entertainer-- when I was twelve years old. And my parents were cool with it, and allowed me to keep watching and listening to his stuff, 'cuz they felt that my maturity level was higher than my chronological age. Oh, if they only knew the horrible truth...

Of course, I realize the scenes and gameplay of today's violence-laden games, and the profane taunts by twelve-year-olds on XBox Live tend to be a bit more vivid and graphic than 1980s standup routines... it's just the best example I had on hand. Which could segue into...

- Parental control of a child's access to content. Again, I'll use my own childhood experiences as an example: although mom didn't object to my Carlin viewing, she would vet each new issue of MAD magazine I wanted to pick up at the newsstand for naughty bits and other things she found objectionable. The one ish I was absolutely positively NOT allowed to get was...

[img width=533 height=800]http://s3.amazonaws.com/bonanzleimages/afu/images/0629/1872/__kgrhquokice3kse5phebn0prskfjq___3.jpg[/img]

...which, when I finally grabbed a copy of it many years later, busted on kids just as harshly as it did parents. 'Cuz, let's face it, kids do lots of dumb things, and making fun of the dumb things they do can be pretty freakin' funny. However, mom didn't see it that way, and it was her prerogative (not Bobby Brown's) to deny me the pleasure of owning that particular issue, whether I liked it or not.

'Course, that little incident occurred a quarter-century ago, well before the modern internet gave you access to all sorts of weird, obscene, profane, and downright depraved content.

http://www.youtube.com/em...ph0?start=223&end=239

How do you shield a youngster from such things? Well, that's for the CollectorCast hosts to consider.

- This topic idea came to mind with the arrival of Bil and Duke's new additions to their respective families. That's four kids between the three hosts, ranging in age from infancy to, I'm guessing, early teens? Do I have that right? I know Crabs and Duke have the older children, which gives them the advantage of experience in parental control and guidance. Which is why, if this topic is to be discussed, I really want Crabs to be in on it. Which isn't to say Bil can't have a say in the matter; quite the contrary, I think he'd have quite a few thoughts, perceptions, and inquiries about parental control that Duke and Crabs can field and build on, giving both Bil and the new parents in the audience some ideas on how to control their own children's access to gaming and online content as they mature.

ANYway, that's my topic suggestion. I know it seems a bit too general, but I'm confident it can be boiled down into a nearly-exclusively-gaming context with a little effort.

Another topic suggestion came to mind some time ago, but I can't recall it at present. I'll get back to you on that one, but until then...

- 'Late
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 01:16:34 PM by Zagnorch » Logged
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #130 on: December 07, 2014, 02:15:23 PM »

Don't you think this entire board should be renamed RF Generation CollectorCasts, seeing as how the only other active RF Gen podcast, PlayCast, posts its discussion threads in the Community Playthroughs child board of the Video Game Generation forum? Yeah, let's do that! Make this a CollectorCast-exclusive forum! That's what those elitist PlayCast dolts deserve for thinking they're too good for us!

Gotta speak to the Ultra Super Righteous Admins on that one. Outside my measly mortal powers.

I like the topic. We're trying to get the Crabbo back on, but his schedule is rough. That and I'm pretty sure he works so much his son has been fending for himself by killing walrus' for their blubber for sustenance.

Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #131 on: December 07, 2014, 03:08:15 PM »

Gotta speak to the Ultra Super Righteous Admins on that one. Outside my measly mortal powers.

Just tell 'em t3h 'N0rch recommended it; that'll get them to hop-to on it.  Wink

I like the topic. We're trying to get the Crabbo back on, but his schedule is rough.

I just think the topic, if used, would be better served with Crabs in on it. After all, both you and he have older children, hence more experience, which would be a nice counterpoint to Bil's relative inexperience.

Hey, you know what: I didn't account for the fact that children might have more than one parent involved in their development. The role of mom in the deal could also be a point of discussion to consider.

That and I'm pretty sure he works so much his son has been fending for himself by killing walrus' for their blubber for sustenance.

If that's the case, then I seriously doubt playing Quake or GTA will warp his mind any worse than it already has been. I'd still keep him away from the XBox Live network, though; those kids can be a buncha ass-halves.

(WARNING: The following links go to a couple of very kid-UNfriendly YouTube videos)

- 'Late
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 03:15:25 PM by Zagnorch » Logged
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #132 on: December 11, 2014, 12:14:39 AM »

I like the history behind games, or video game companies as well. I used to love watching the G4 Icon show, also the retroware History of Video Games is cool. So I am really into that idea.

Maybe for the next episode do one in tribute to Ralph Baer, maker of the "Brown Box" who died last week.

gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« Reply #133 on: January 16, 2015, 10:11:27 PM »

Im not gonna read through this entire thread to see if it's been suggested but- "counterfeit/repro games"

NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #134 on: January 18, 2015, 12:33:24 PM »

I noticed Racketboy's podcast recently ended its run, maybe you guys could get in contact with Dave (dsheinem on here) and see if he wants to be a guest or something. He can probably bring over a few of their loyal listeners.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length