RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:06:43 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | RF Generation Podcasts (Moderators: Crabmaster2000, Duke.Togo, wildbil52) | RF Generation Collectorcast Episode 10 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: RF Generation Collectorcast Episode 10  (Read 30483 times)
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2013, 08:33:52 PM »

@nupoile: Certainly hardware emulation in itself is perfectly legal. There are problems when it comes to making that emulation useful when many of them require a copy of a BIOS and that can be a legal issue depending on the country. I don't think any of us said they are evil (at least in a serious way), but we are collectors on a show about collecting.

Perhaps the historian reference is fairly appropriate, but at least for me it is about keeping the experience pure and the same as it was originally. We wanted to talk about all of this exactly for the reasons you bring up, and that people have a lot of different feelings on the matter. It really opens great topics for discussion, and I don't expect most anyone to see eye to eye on it.

Perhaps not being a PC gamer I don't exactly understand why I would feel different about that matter if I was. If you put up the same scenario with Xbox's, Halo, and needing one more copy, it's really the same thing.

I'm glad we had a thought provoking discussion, that's definitely the idea Smiley

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2013, 08:38:12 PM »

Here's something cool for everybody.

GOG runs entirely on emulation. Every game you download unless its really new like Witcher, Witcher 2, etc. comes with the latest version of DOSbox and the game files. CDProjekt went out and got licenses and courted publishers who owned old IPs though, and everybody was happy.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2013, 09:21:11 PM »

Certainly a great use of emulation, and reminds me of another great implementation: backwards compatibility on consoles!

nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2013, 12:03:13 AM »

@Duke

I think in the end we probably see pretty eye-to-eye. Personally, I have limited use for emulation. When I tell people I collect old games and they tell me they have all the NES games on their PC, dirty looks from me follow.  Tongue

A big part of why I collect is to play games as they were originally played, or to keep the experience pure as you say. I am definitely on that side. Paraphrasing Crabmaster, you should have to fight and suffer to play games, just like we did back in the day  Smiley

I really wasn't trying to get anyone to jump on or off the emulation band wagon. Saying that there is a place in the world of gaming were emulation exists maybe was more what I was getting at.

I'm going to try and take a stab at explaining what I meant about maybe having a different view if a person was a PC gamer. PC gaming, from one perspective, is very different than console gaming, the hardware is different from one persons PC to the next. Games (and other programs) have all along been set up so they could work on whatever hardware the person had, as much as possible. Some games completely install themselves on the hard drive and never need the original disk again. Back in the day games came printed out as code in a magazine or book and you entered them in by hand.

One experience I had was getting a disc based game to play on a netbook with no disc drive. What I did was to make and iso file with another computer, transfer the iso to the netbook and then play the game. The original disc was there on the desk, next to the netbook looking pretty but otherwise unused. Maybe slightly inventive but I don't think it is anything too far out of the normal with gaming on a PC.

And then there is DOSBox, I happen to have a few old PC's, but if you don't or just want to use a newer PC to play older games, DOSBox is great. If you want to play a game on a 3.5" disc on a new PC, DOSBox is going to come up. Then you will wonder were to put the 3.5" disc. I use an USB external 3.5" drive (if someone can point me to an USB 5.25" external, please do.) Do I actually play the game with the disc in the drive? No, I just copy it to the hard drive and play from there. To me this is just what you do. I think the only reason we didn't do it back in the day was because floppies were cheaper than hard drives.

Look at all that I typed ^^^ and I could say more too. You're right, you've been provoking my thoughts  laugh

And you did remind me, I need to get a few more copies of Halo....
Voodoo Monkey
Donor

WWW Stats
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2013, 03:15:53 PM »

Guys! 

I came to RFGen for the collection tools and quickly fell in love with the Podcast.  In fact, I love everything all of you are doing here on the site.

Thank you so much for the entertaining and informative show.  Also a big thanks for mentioning my little side project (Kraken) in your show.  That was pretty awesome to hear.

Hungry for the Chievos!
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2013, 03:55:02 PM »

welcome to the site, or the forums that is as it sounds like you've been using the collection tools already Smiley. it's a great community, and the collectorcast is awesome
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2013, 04:17:44 PM »

Aha! The Kraken awakes! Welcome to the site, and I'm glad you enjoy the show. Thanks for donating!

@nupoile: I see where you're coming from with PC gaming. Back when I played games on a computer, they were all practically the same model for everyone (TI-99/4A, Commodore 64, etc.)

One question though: couldn't you just install a 5 1/4 inch FDD into your modern PC? Has Windows finally killed all support for those beasts?

InvadErGII
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2013, 04:24:39 PM »

One question though: couldn't you just install a 5 1/4 inch FDD into your modern PC? Has Windows finally killed all support for those beasts?

WMI can still find them, so it's theoretically possible. There'd have to be one with drivers that worked, though. Hmm...

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2013, 07:45:37 PM »

Why would you need drivers for an internal drive? If 3.5" floppies still work I would think 5.25" would. They work off the same connection type.

Crabmaster2000
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2013, 08:09:11 PM »

Guys! 

I came to RFGen for the collection tools and quickly fell in love with the Podcast.  In fact, I love everything all of you are doing here on the site.

Thank you so much for the entertaining and informative show.  Also a big thanks for mentioning my little side project (Kraken) in your show.  That was pretty awesome to hear.

Glad to see we woke the Kraken! Welcome to the site and thanks for the kind words (and cash Wink ).

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2013, 06:26:00 PM »

For the record, my screen name is pronounced So-za.  Or Sew-za.  Or So-Whateverthehellyouwanttocallme.  Za.

Great show guys!  I missed the last 8 minutes of it, so I'm sure that's where you sent very expensive call girls out to everyones house.  With pancakes.  Mmmmmm, pancakes.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2013, 08:11:01 PM »

Call girls only make it to the houses of those that listen to the entire show.
[img width=549 height=362]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-21_jyYvyZxo/T16-fJ9X6oI/AAAAAAAADqI/HaJaKxYuxfg/s1600/themoreyouknow.jpg[/img]

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2013, 09:35:12 AM »

Just finished listening to the Collectorcast. I'm that you didn't pull any punches regarding the subject matter, and thanks for the mention.

There was a NEOGAF thread on Reproduction carts not too long ago:

http://www.neogaf.com/for...m/showthread.php?t=501466

I don't mind emulation and still play a game of MAME every now and then, but prefer the real thing. I received a Model 1 Genesis for my Birthday with the wrong power adatper (model 2) and when I went to return it they gave me the Model 2 Gensis, a NES, and a Super NES for free. Haven't gone back to emulation for consoles since.

I remember the SWC, Z64, Doctor 64 etc, and I still have my V64 JR. It's the same unit that Acclaim used during the N64's lifespan. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_V64

@ reproductions: I would buy a repro of NWC, or VS SMB, or Campus Challenge. For me it has to be something that I can't buy on the Famicom. (repro prototypes are ok with me)

@ pirates: There are some interesting pirates that I want to try for the Famicom such as FF7 and Pokemon. There are two other systems where pirate carts are as prolific as the Famicom. They are the NeoGeo MVS and the GBA. Maybe a topic of discussion for another day?

@ flash carts: I would buy a powerpak. I tried out the Battle Kid 2 demo that was released and would have loved to try it on actual hardware.

@ homebrew: I love what comes out of the homebrew community and can't wait for Battle Kid 2.

I wonder what Crabby thinks of the digital releases that were later put out on dvd such as:

http://www.amazon.com/XBL...on-disk/lm/R2G6QIOVCNFCVI

@bill: The PC version of Super Meat Boy received a retail release. I think it Steam activates though...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/S...s&hash=item3a7c9b18ff

« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 09:42:52 AM by Addicted » Logged

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Crabmaster2000
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2013, 03:25:44 PM »

Love em!! Looking forward to actually playing Journey now!!

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Johnny Nintendo
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2013, 05:31:41 PM »

I remember someone mentioning Star Wars Legos on the podcast.  I introduced my 5 year old to Legos about a year ago, and he loves Star Wars (Darth Vader is his favorite).  Anyways, you can imagine whathe got for Christmas.  It's not as fun as it sounds, he makes me build the sets and he likes to buildthings to smash into them.  It stops being fun when you spend 5 hours building a whole city of Legos, and come home from work to find a wasteland of Legos.

Looking for CIB NES games..........even Silent Service.
I once made the mistake of smelling a NES cart.  Man, the last guy that blew in it must have had bad breath, because it smelled like a sack full of assholes.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length