RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:27:12 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Why do gamers think they're so entitled? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Why do gamers think they're so entitled?  (Read 8170 times)
SuperGamecube64
Memorex VIS

WWW Stats
« on: January 23, 2013, 07:25:00 PM »

Why is it that modern gamers seem to think game companies owe them something? Like if a game doesn't turn out the way they personally wanted it, it should be remade just for them? I don't remember this being a problem in past generations, but I was also not as active on the internet back then.

bickman2k
Director
United States
Awards: 2017 RF Generation Punch-Out Heavyweight Champion!

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 07:27:01 PM »

Do you have an example of this?

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/bickman2k.png[/img]
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 07:27:24 PM »

Why is it that modern gamers seem to think game companies owe them something? Like if a game doesn't turn out the way they personally wanted it, it should be remade just for them? I don't remember this being a problem in past generations, but I was also not as active on the internet back then.

My wife and I refer to it as the "Entitlement Generation". Kids these days are entitled to anything and everything they want. We can't do a day in a store without hearing a kid complaining to their parents and making a scene until they get it.

bickman2k
Director
United States
Awards: 2017 RF Generation Punch-Out Heavyweight Champion!

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 07:28:26 PM »

My wife and I refer to it as the "Entitlement Generation". Kids these days are entitled to anything and everything they want. We can't do a day in a store without hearing a kid complaining to their parents and making a scene until they get it.

Then those are sucky parents. Unfortunately, that's a lot of them nowadays...

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/bickman2k.png[/img]
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 07:30:38 PM »

The "always on" culture that society has embraced is something that I feel has contributed a lot to this. There are a lot more ways of to obtain instant gratification on the web and electronic devices than there ever was in the past.

blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 08:01:56 PM »

The "always on" culture that society has embraced is something that I feel has contributed a lot to this. There are a lot more ways of to obtain instant gratification on the web and electronic devices than there ever was in the past.

I think Shadow hit this one on the head.  In addition to bad parenting, people are used to getting instant gratification, and narcissism seems to be completely acceptable.
SuperGamecube64
Memorex VIS

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 08:13:05 PM »

Mass Ef
Do you have an example of this?

Mass Effect 3 is a good example.

moonraker_fats
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 11:10:09 PM »

To piggy-back off Shadow and what he calls it the "always on" culture, I think its availability of a medium to bitch on and the anonymity to do so.

Back when I was knee-deep in trying to score tickets to the TMNT band concert, if I didn't like a game, the most I could do was tell my buddies not to rent it...and then play it anyway because I was stuck with it for the weekend Wink I didn't have the worldwideinterwebs to wage a tri-lateral twitter/facebook/whatever assault of whatever displeased me.  Nor did I have the protection the web offers to say whatever I damn please without worry of any condemnation. 

But, times change and those avenues exist now and gamers use them AND it works for them...didn't Mass Effect 3 release different endings because of all the backlash?

I'm not sure if its just people whining or an industry evolving but game companies will chase whatever they can to increase that bottom line and I think we're all stuck with it.  Who liked the new Mass Effect 3 ending better than the original?

[img width=95 height=39]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/RFGmicrobar01.gif[/img]
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 12:34:49 AM »

ME3 didn't get different endings, just more exposition added to them.

Zagnorch
MAJIN SONIC'S BLOODLUST MUST BE SATED!
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 01:36:03 AM »

I think Shadow hit this one on the head.  In addition to bad parenting, people are used to getting instant gratification, and narcissism seems to be completely acceptable.

All the stuff stated above, combined with my general dislike of people, are the very reasons I hate to go outside. I'm highly jealous of anyone who can cope with such nonsense going on around them.
Leynos
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 01:48:01 AM »

It's no less entitled then the retro era. Just see more of it because of the internet. Read GAMEFAN Magazine in the early 90's and fans were just the same. Kids in the playground were the same as now why such and such is better on what game or console why something sucks. Just now the internet allows us to see more of it.
Techie413
We need to talk about your flair.
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 02:12:52 AM »

Remember when many of us were kids in the 80's and 90's and had to save our money for weeks or months for a new game, then we bought Silver Surfer or Total Recall?  Younger gamers these days have no reason to bitch, and especially when their games are bought with their parent's money.

SuperGamecube64
Memorex VIS

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 03:06:03 AM »

I'd like to add that it is not just video games. Nothing is immune. In my college's student lounge tonight, I was eating a meal between classes and this chick was straight tripping balls because I was eating a chicken sandwich from Burger King. She was make a face like she could vomit at any moment and pretty much telling me what I should and should not eat from there. Gamers are the same way. "You like [game]? ugh! Disgusting pig! Get away from me and refine your tastes!"

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 04:59:43 AM »

It's no less entitled then the retro era. Just see more of it because of the internet. Read GAMEFAN Magazine in the early 90's and fans were just the same. Kids in the playground were the same as now why such and such is better on what game or console why something sucks. Just now the internet allows us to see more of it.

I agree with Ryudo on this one. I think if there is a shift its not nearly as drastic as many of you guys are making it sound. People have been tools for as long as I can remember.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 09:29:52 AM »

I agree with Ryudo on this one. I think if there is a shift its not nearly as drastic as many of you guys are making it sound. People have been tools for as long as I can remember.

I'm in agreement with Crabby and Ryudo.

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length