RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:11:28 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | Poor Quality Scans? Let's Replace Them! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Poor Quality Scans? Let's Replace Them!  (Read 46616 times)
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 05:38:14 PM »

Probably because it's too small a scan, which makes reading the part number slightly difficult.
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 09:53:40 AM »

It does not meet size requirements and 99.9% of NES scans probably are just the face of the cart.

veq
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2014, 08:34:17 AM »

Now that I've found a way to resize my scans that actually look good, I'll go through and submit scans for anything that I have that somehow doesn't already have an image and then I'll go back and see if there's anything that already has an image that could use a new one.

All my boxes that I do have are in great condition except for my N64 boxes which...have seen better days.
toze3
DB Reviewer
Portugal

Stats
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2016, 08:43:05 AM »

Want to know if it's possible to use images from other websites, that doesn't have copy protection or similar protection.

For instance, in segaretro they have a text about the use of images, that i believe it says that anybody can use the image for other "fair" porpuses. Here is the text and link: http://segaretro.org/File:GGboxBack.JPG

This image is a scan, photo or promotional image of a Sega Game Gear video game box. Scans are free to use under fair use. All copyright to this image is held by the companies who developed and published this game. Sega of America and Sega.com expressly disclaims any obligation, responsibility and/or liability with respect to any content or accuracy of information contained on this website.

Do you guys think we can use some of the images, and maybe in the credits of the image maybe put SEGARETRO?

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2016, 09:53:38 AM »

If you "created" and "own" the image you can submit it.

If another websites policy is that anyone can take and use any image for "fair purposes" that is excellent.

Our policy however is we will only accept images from users who have created them. Taking the works of others (in my eyes) is theft.
Additionally if you take the time to enter the info from and take scans of an item you actually own it greatly reduces the chance of it being inaccurate.

toze3
DB Reviewer
Portugal

Stats
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2016, 10:20:11 AM »

OK, thanks for the reply.

I will submit only the games i have.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2016, 01:17:25 PM »

Worth noting, but fake images abound on the web. GameFAQs and mobygames have fake images (GameFAQs more often than not).

toze3
DB Reviewer
Portugal

Stats
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2016, 03:26:30 AM »

There are also cases that the same cart/game/screenshot is the same for several variations, especially when we have just a label variation on the box, it's possible to "copy" images from games to another ones ??

And if possible retain the credits for the previous "owner" of the images
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2016, 07:22:52 AM »

I get it, and when I see a scan that isn't that great in quality or it's a damaged label, I replace it (replaced Thunder Fox on Genesis last night). However, there have been instances in the past where I have submitted an image for a game that has not image and it has been rejected. White labels and carts can be especially tricky in some instances and this was the case with my scan.  Just my opinion, but let's replace scans with higher quality of course, but at the same time, some image is better than no image IMO.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2016, 09:10:50 AM »

There are also cases that the same cart/game/screenshot is the same for several variations, especially when we have just a label variation on the box, it's possible to "copy" images from games to another ones ??

And if possible retain the credits for the previous "owner" of the images
This is something not all users have the option to do. For example, I can't edit credits at this level. If you have a certain game/manual whatever that is the exact same across variations, you can go ahead and submit the same image multiple times. Just make sure the UPC/Part Number and other small things match.
toze3
DB Reviewer
Portugal

Stats
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2016, 10:30:45 AM »

I just checked that i can add the credits for the owner of the image, that's help alot in submit images, i just can grab the image from another variation and re-submit in the new variation if they are the same. Thanks for the reply @Flee
kaysow
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2018, 06:31:08 PM »

It's been a while since I last had the time and access to do any scanning. And all my replacement scans got rejected.

Here's the one in the DB and my own scan. It's never been a problem before, so has there been some change in policy over the last year?

Raidou
DB Reviewer
Australia

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2018, 11:23:12 PM »

I rejected two of your image submissions because I didn't think the originals were "low quality" enough to warrant replacement.  I also thought your replacement images look a little too much like mock-up stock images.

This isn't a change in site policy, but the subjective opinion of the approver.  I didn't think it was fair to replace someone else's work without good cause.
tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2018, 09:27:21 PM »

It's been a while since I last had the time and access to do any scanning. And all my replacement scans got rejected.
Here's the one in the DB and my own scan. It's never been a problem before, so has there been some change in policy over the last year?
I got you, resubmit and I'll approve them.

I rejected two of your image submissions because I didn't think the originals were "low quality" enough to warrant replacement.  I also thought your replacement images look a little too much like mock-up stock images.
This isn't a change in site policy, but the subjective opinion of the approver.  I didn't think it was fair to replace someone else's work without good cause.
I can understand being suspicious of near perfect quality images, but I just did a quick google search and did not find any PEGI covers of the game without watermarks that would match up with his scans. Also, generally speaking, site regulars can be trusted. As for what justifies replacement, I think lower quality images are supposed to be replaced, otherwise overwriting old images wouldn't even be a feature. Past image submitters are not removed from the credits, so their efforts aren't ignored either.
Raidou
DB Reviewer
Australia

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2018, 11:23:29 PM »

I didn't say Kaysow's images were fake.  I said they LOOK fake.  As a variant collector I prefer seeing images that look like real products rather than something cooked up by a marketing department.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 11:27:23 PM by Raidou » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length