RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:27:26 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | Poor Quality Scans? Let's Replace Them! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Poor Quality Scans? Let's Replace Them!  (Read 46614 times)
Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2018, 04:02:48 AM »

It’s my image being replaced here so I’d like to say I’m always happy for my images to be replaced with a higher quality image (if the image is legit of course).
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2018, 11:36:48 AM »

I didn't say Kaysow's images were fake.  I said they LOOK fake.  As a variant collector I prefer seeing images that look like real products rather than something cooked up by a marketing department.

I agree with Raidou here in the fact that these games are typically more pastel in color. I'm positive the other is not fake, but the image seems darker in color in comparison to what these games typically appear.

However, I understand the desire and need to replace bad images and think this is something that we should certainly continue to do. I appreciate the efforts of the submitter and trying to make our images and sight better. Perhaps we need to create some sort of policy and communication procedure between the submitter and approver. This is not my area of expertise on the site, so I would prefer the Duke weigh in. Just my two cents.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2018, 08:29:56 PM »

Certainly everyone involved in this conversation wants to make RFG the best game DB out there, so I'm glad we're all focused on that end.

There are things to consider in terms of when an image deserves replacement, such as resolution, condition of material scanned, and scan fidelity. I think it would be hard to quantify this in a policy, as the first two conditions are objective, and the last is subjective. I'm willing to trust our approvers to do their work without micromanaging this, and I would just encourage our approvers to communicate why you make a rejection thoroughly. By doing this, we can communicate our position, without discouraging submissions in the future.

kaysow
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2018, 05:10:07 PM »

Thanks for the feedback everyone. My scanner is pretty old and slow (an inlay takes 4-5 minutes at 800dpi) so to get consistent lighting and good sharpness I usually scan after sundown. That might be why it appears darker than the average scan.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2018, 10:49:28 PM »

I really appreciate you taking the time to add to the DB kaysow, especially if you're working around a temperamental scanner. Wink

Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2018, 08:06:13 AM »

If anyone is approving Kaysow's replacement scans please watch out for extra media replacements because these won't overwrite the inferior version of the scan, which must be deleted manually.

If you cant delete images please leave these in the queue for someone who can.
RobotWillie
Don't You Know Blackmail is Way Uncool
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2018, 11:46:40 PM »

I just got this and see the images we have are one with stickers on it. Mine has never had a sticker on it and is in very good shape. Should I take some new scans of it?

http://www.rfgeneration.c...nfo.pl?ID=U-131-S-01360-A
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 02:22:32 AM by RobotWillie » Logged

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2018, 07:23:39 AM »

I just got this and see the images we have are one with stickers on it. Mine has never had a sticker on it and is in very good shape. Should I take some new scans of it?

http://www.rfgeneration.c...nfo.pl?ID=U-131-S-01360-A

Absolutely! We always encourage replacing images with better scans.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
RobotWillie
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2018, 08:07:47 PM »

So should I just add them as usual like when there is a game that doesn't have any?

Or you could just take these here now and change them out.

* BourneConspiracy.jpg (387.85 KB, 550x684 - viewed 1096 times.)

* BourneConspiracy2.jpg (391.93 KB, 550x680 - viewed 1075 times.)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 08:10:11 PM by RobotWillie » Logged

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2018, 08:11:08 PM »

You basically just go on to the game page and submit scans as usual. When it pulls up the image already there will pop up as well. Just select your file and submit it and that image will be replaced. Make sure that your image is at least 550 pixels on the longest side, which will be vertical in this case.

RobotWillie
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2018, 08:18:14 PM »

It is done. I will keep an eye out for anymore.

Merchant added stickers are the devils footprints are they not?  evilsad

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2018, 09:27:23 PM »

It is done. I will keep an eye out for anymore.

Merchant added stickers are the devils footprints are they not?  evilsad

Thank you!

mumboking
Do you feel the heartbeat of the land?
PlayStation
United Kingdom

WWW Stats
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2018, 10:08:19 PM »

Make sure that your image is at least 550 pixels on the longest side, which will be vertical in this case.
Uh...
Quote from: FAQ
As a general rule, all scans should be 550 pixels on the SHORT SIDE.
http://www.rfgeneration.c....php?action=policies;id=4
RobotWillie
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2018, 10:37:47 PM »

No problems I knew he fudged up what he was saying and meant short side. I have done 150-180 scan uploads, this was just the first time I replaced old ones.

Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2018, 09:46:52 AM »

Not poor quality scans but missing. There are various missing scans/photos around the US athletic world game and family fun fitness hardware. So if any one can provide any of the following please submit:

• Family fun fitness - front and back box scans, hardware image. An original athletic world cart and manual (FFF branding) can also be submitted as extra media
  • Athletic World (original FFF branding) - manual scan missing. Front and back of FFF box can also be submitted as front and back images
  • Athletic World (Power pad rebrand - circle seal) - cart scan missing. This will have the code NES-AW-USA and no FFF branding.
  • Athletic World (PP rebrand - oval seal) - manual scan missing. This will have the code NES-AW-USA-1

Would be great if anyone does have these images they can submit. Thanks
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 09:48:50 AM by Schlibby » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length