RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:42:14 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | RF Generation Podcasts (Moderators: Crabmaster2000, Duke.Togo, wildbil52) | Episode 13 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Episode 13  (Read 15789 times)
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 05:13:33 PM »

I play all my games on significantly smaller screens than everyone else and audio when i actually use it is piped through my turtle beach headset that i (partially) blew the speakers on.

Wow, how did you blow the speaker without blowing out an eardrum?

nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, 09:45:37 PM »

Well that was a fun episode, I mean, not as fun as last time when you had that one really neat dude on but good none the less.

With all that info you guys gave you did a really good job, it's like you know what you're talking about  Wink   I did catch one thing which may need a little clarification.  The advertised refresh rates between LCD's and plasmas are not really comparable. I think the 600Hz they through around on plasmas is mostly a marketing trick. Most plasma screens refresh at 60Hz, some a little higher but either way less than 100Hz. I heard a really good explanation of this on another podcast but can't remember the exact episode. I did lots of hard research for about 1 minute, then got tired but did come up with these references:

http://www.avsforum.com/t...-images-plasma-or-lcd-led
http://www.avsforum.com/t...ave-a-higher-refresh-rate

That podcast I listen to, there is a new one each week, is called Home Theater Geeks and is part of the twit network. Nearly every item you guys talked about they have a whole hour show on. Want to hear an interview with the president of HDMI standards? A discussion on audio cables? Projector screens? There might even be an interview with an engineer at Klipsch. All sorts of good stuff.

http://twit.tv/htg

As far as my own setup, I am an aspiring audiophile, or as I typed out in chat once, an inspiring audiophile. Ah, spelling mistakes. Since I'm kinda cheap when it comes to entertainment, buying audio equipment has so far been mostly minimal. Mostly. I run a stereo setup simply because the equipment I would want to get to be past the point of thinking, "If only I'd spent a little more I could have gotten something better" would be, well, as Luke said, "Well, more wealth than you can imagine!"

I do want a surround sound toy, I actually have a HTIAB thing that was given to me, it's the garage radio as I don't care for the quality. But for now, I use with our TV/game setup a stereo Harman Kardon HK3490 reciever and Infinity Primus 162 speakers. After I got those I kinda leapfrogged in level with the subwoofer. I got one that would fit in with pretty much any level of audio gear. I'm going to go out on a short limb and say, "I bet its the best of anyone who posts here"  Tongue     My sub is a Hsu VTF-3 MK4. It has flat response down to 15 or 16Hz (depends what you call "flat") it does roll off below that but will still reproduce information below 10Hz. Anything below 20Hz is very, very low, most subs don't get anywhere close with much power. It's huge and awesome.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk4.html

When you guys were talking about room eq's and sound quality, it reminded me of what I deal with. The room we have our TV in is just horrible for sound. It's really the limiting factor with quality right now. Even if I wanted to upgrade, the room would hold me back with all it's reverberations and reflections.

I would type more, but if I go much longer I think I would have to offer this post as a print on demand book.
nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 10:16:22 PM »

I took a comparison picture for you so you can see the size of this beast......and how much I should dust behind the couch.

[img width=700 height=641]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8367/8596042977_89cf4bf499_o.jpg[/img]
Razor Knuckles
& Knuckles
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, 10:24:33 PM »

Send a sonar blast to that Silent Service cart!
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2013, 10:33:50 PM »

I play all my games on significantly smaller screens than everyone else and audio when i actually use it is piped through my turtle beach headset that i (partially) blew the speakers on.

Wow, how did you blow the speaker without blowing out an eardrum?

I leave them hanging around my neck. I also think it had something to do with this:
http://sdrv.ms/ZqHWLj

I play (nearly all) singing games by pumping the game music back into the mic with the speakers. Sometimes it causes a horrid squealing feedback.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2013, 03:44:21 AM »

just got to the main topic of the episode and i have a minor complaint. i don't remember noticing this on previous episodes but the music between segments is mono so far. not a big deal but i find mono really annoying to listen to on headphones because it just feels weird hearing sound only through one ear (especially when the rest of the episode is stereo).

otherwise great episode so far!
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2013, 07:39:44 AM »

just got to the main topic of the episode and i have a minor complaint. i don't remember noticing this on previous episodes but the music between segments is mono so far. not a big deal but i find mono really annoying to listen to on headphones because it just feels weird hearing sound only through one ear (especially when the rest of the episode is stereo).

I thought mono just put all sound through both speakers not just one, whereas stereo can have a certain track coming through one speaker and another through another speaker. Evidently I'm no audiophile and need to listen to the main topic of this episode to learn a thing or two.

As for my AV set it's as simple as plugging the systems into a TV that has the appropriate ports (HDMI or RCA) and I'm done. No worrying about SCART, component or that other jazz.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2013, 07:48:46 AM »

I figured that was intentional.  I only moticed it for this 'sode.

Quackula
Virtual Boy
United States

Stats
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2013, 08:53:55 AM »

I figured that was intentional.  I only moticed it for this 'sode.

I noticed it too... seems like an odd sort of thing to do intentionally.
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2013, 07:01:12 PM »

I thought mono just put all sound through both speakers not just one, whereas stereo can have a certain track coming through one speaker and another through another speaker. Evidently I'm no audiophile and need to listen to the main topic of this episode to learn a thing or two.

As for my AV set it's as simple as plugging the systems into a TV that has the appropriate ports (HDMI or RCA) and I'm done. No worrying about SCART, component or that other jazz.

if the entire track was mono i think most players would put it on both sides of the headphones/speakers. if the whole audio file is uploaded as stereo and certain parts are mono they only run on one audio track, with the other one being essentially empty
Quackula
Virtual Boy
United States

Stats
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2013, 07:46:36 PM »

if the entire track was mono i think most players would put it on both sides of the headphones/speakers. if the whole audio file is uploaded as stereo and certain parts are mono they only run on one audio track, with the other one being essentially empty

It's not like it would be any real effort to put the mono track on both channels.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2013, 08:34:51 PM »

Just noticed that you're right. Not intentional, but kind of an odd coincidence considering the topic. I accidentally set the pan on that track 100% to the left. Must have accidentally clicked it without noticing. The next episode will be back to normal.

@nupoile: That is a seriously great sub if you can get frequencies that low out of it. Thanks for the link to the other show, that would be great for people eager to learn more on the topic. AV gear is such a crazy deep pool, and we just wanted to open the door for folks.

Quackula
Virtual Boy
United States

Stats
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2013, 09:29:23 AM »

I used to have all my audio going through a pair of KRK studio monitors. Wish I'd kept those.
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2013, 11:49:56 AM »

Did anyone else giggle every time Duke said scart?

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2013, 01:40:17 PM »

Great episode gentlemen!

I always perk up when I hear my name in the small scores segment. Thanks for mentioning me!

I'm really glad you mentioned my score of Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure. I had been trying to get my hands on it forever and finally just lowballed someone on GameTZ and actually got it that way. I played it right away and I loved it.

I actually talk about that game a lot  in the upcoming episode of my podcast. I know no one has time but you're interested the link is in my sig below.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length