RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:29:59 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | The Gym | Arena Football 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Arena Football  (Read 4729 times)
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« on: February 09, 2005, 09:36:34 AM »

Has anybody here ever watched arena football?

http://www.arenafootball.com

I've never seen a game before, but I'm considering giving it a shot, just because if I don't, there is no football (Pro Bowl and NFL Europe excluded) until September.  Back in 2003, we had an arena team here in Cincinnati, but in 2004, the U.S. Bank Arena owners said they couldn't play in the arena anymore, so they had to disband because they had no field.  It was a real bummer because just before this happened, I was starting to look forward to their season for the same reason I am considering watching now - there's no other football on.  

So, I'm considering following the Columbus Destroyers this year.  They are coached by a former Ohio State great, and they're fairly close...  so it could be cool to watch them.  The AFL's website says that the Columbus game will be on NBC this Sunday, so I'm hoping that means here in Cincinnati too.  The games won't get the 100% coverage I'm used to with the NCAA and NFL, but I should still be close enough to get radio coverage, and maybe even go see a game or two.  The cheapest tickets are only $10.

Then there's the AFL2.  Does anyone have any idea what's up with that?  Are they like farm teams?  Or just pro teams that are kind of like minor league, but unaffiliated to the regular AFL teams?  The cities that have AFL2 teams are smaller, so it seems like one of these could be a possibility.  Amarillo even has one.  Or are they on the same level except their season starts later so the AFL can have football over a longer period of the year?

den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 11:30:16 AM »

Detroit has a had a couple team in the Arena Football League. The Drive and the Fury, neither exist anymore. The Drive was in the league when it first started in the late 80's and won the first four championships. They were owned by Mike Illitch, the same guy who owns the Red Wings and Tigers.

I went to a few games back in the Drive days, never saw the Fury.

Arena football is a fun game. it's a good fringe sport like indoor soccer or lacrosse or the WNBA. you can take the whole family, get food and souvineers and not need a second mortgage to do it.

two_scoop_steve
Sega Genesis
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 11:56:49 AM »

We have the Orlando Predators and they Have Package Deals where you pay like $50,You get 2 Tickets, 2 Meals and Free Draft Beer the Entire Game...My buddies and I try to go when were off..

shadytool
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 01:27:53 PM »

here nep:
http://www.nationalindoor...ue.net/teams/marshals.htm

when does NFL Europe start?
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 02:08:39 PM »

Thanks a bunch for the link, Rick.  I had no idea they even existed.  Looks like they've only been around for about two months though, so that's pretty new news.  I'm definitely gonna have to go to at least one game to see what it's like.  $10 a ticket is cheap, and I could probably drag Eddie and maybe a few other people there with me.  Rock.

NFL Europe seems to start  April 2nd.  I just went to their page to check on that, and apparently Vinatieri was a former NFL Europe player.  I had no idea.

http://www.nfleurope.com/news/story/8172618

Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 03:13:46 PM »

Let me know when you are going, I may be interested. If I am in town that is.

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
St0rmTK421
The Black Perl
Director

Stats
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005, 04:57:54 PM »

LOL

"Cincinnati Marshals to hold final tryouts"

Looks like they're pretty new.  Mike you should try out Smiley
Sounds interesting, if I'm free when you're going I would be interested in checking it out.

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
We will always keep it on channel 3!
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2005, 06:35:47 PM »

I've never played football in my life!  Somehow I don't think that would go too well.   I also weigh under 120.  I don't think too many professional football players are that small.

Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2005, 04:27:21 AM »

Kickers.

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2005, 07:15:49 AM »

Damn, I didn't know that they had open tryouts for the AFL!  Shocked

Next time I hear about tryouts for one of these teams I think I might actually go and try out.  I'll probably get slaughtered, but it's worth a shot.
den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2005, 07:59:13 AM »

I'm the right size. I don't know if there's much demand for 36 year old football players. hell Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith have both retired and they are both younger than me.

Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2005, 08:43:47 AM »

Their record last season was 2 and 8, I think they are open to just about anyone who looks like they could be a football player.

den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2005, 12:45:00 PM »

all right, I'll play.

Jagdiesel
Jaguar CD

Stats

Champion of

More>>
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2005, 06:52:47 AM »

Here in Phoenix, we have the Rattlers.  They have been to the last 2 Arena Bowls and had their asses handed to them.  They are fun to watch and very fan friendly!
I tried out at one of their open tryouts (kicker) and did myself proud.  I nailed several long field goals, which surprised me as their uprights are about half as wide as high school ones.   I suck at kickoffs though and was told thanks and have a nice day.  It was very fun and I may try again next year - missed this year's open tryouts.  

Why dis hafta happen, Forrest?
You got shot, Bubba.
I wanna go home Forrest, I wan go home...
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2005, 06:57:31 AM »

Here in Phoenix, we have the Rattlers.  They have been to the last 2 Arena Bowls and had their asses handed to them.  They are fun to watch and very fan friendly!
I tried out at one of their open tryouts (kicker) and did myself proud.  I nailed several long field goals, which surprised me as their uprights are about half as wide as high school ones.   I suck at kickoffs though and was told thanks and have a nice day.  It was very fun and I may try again next year - missed this year's open tryouts.  

Sit down Al Bundy  you are to old!!!!  Wink

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length