RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:31:06 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Media Room (Moderator: wildbil52) | What are you reading right now 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 60 Print
Author Topic: What are you reading right now  (Read 246077 times)
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #720 on: August 24, 2013, 10:38:24 PM »

Been listen/reading the First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. It's really great fantasy.

It's not as everyone dies grimdark as Game of Thrones, but it's gritty and realistic and I like it, I like it a lot.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #721 on: August 27, 2013, 08:27:14 PM »

Is it as "realistic" as Game of Thrones or say LOTR? I just checked it out on wikipedia and it said he doesn't use maps, which to me seems like an easy way to keep the geography vague...
The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #722 on: August 27, 2013, 09:22:52 PM »

Is it as "realistic" as Game of Thrones or say LOTR? I just checked it out on wikipedia and it said he doesn't use maps, which to me seems like an easy way to keep the geography vague...

Not sure what you mean. I wouldn't really call LoTR realistic just because Tolkien drew maps. Abercrombie is very realistic in a...human sense? The language is adult and the moral tones involved are decidedly grey. Good and evil are constantly at question, and ultimately nonexistent. Like GoT there aren't other races besides humans (well, there is one, but it's a small feature)

There's magic, but it's treated as an unstable and powerful force. The combat scenes are also very detailed and realistic, and pretty much no one leaves a conflict without a wound.

The geography is explained pretty in depth, you don't really need a map at all.

JSoup
Virtual Boy
United States

Stats
« Reply #723 on: August 28, 2013, 07:01:02 AM »

Recently finished The Hobbit and the newest Warcraft book. All my other books are packed up right now, but I've got a Asimov collection somewhere I've been meaning to crack open.
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #724 on: August 28, 2013, 04:04:53 PM »

started the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: A Trilogy of Four the other day. i'm already finished the actual guide section and now onto the Restaurant at the End of the Universe. some good light reading after finishing the complete sherlock holmes last week.
Haoie
CD-i

Stats
« Reply #725 on: August 30, 2013, 04:59:35 AM »

Finished The Weird Old South

Now onto Thirteen Drops of Blood

If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made.
Haoie
CD-i

Stats
« Reply #726 on: September 13, 2013, 02:41:16 AM »

Finished John Gone

Now onto Seize the Day

If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made.
JSoup
Virtual Boy
United States

Stats
« Reply #727 on: September 13, 2013, 04:10:09 AM »

Edit: Wrong topic.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 02:26:48 PM by JSoup » Logged
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #728 on: September 17, 2013, 02:02:09 PM »

finished the 5 official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books that were written by Adams himself, now onto And Another Thing... by Eoin Colfer, the 6th book in the series. every review i've read said it sticks mostly true to the canon of the originals, but isn't nearly as funny or well written. only 1 chapter in and i'm kind of seeing that already, it's not terrible but just doesn't feel as good as the others.
Cryptid Collector
SNES
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #729 on: September 17, 2013, 06:43:39 PM »

Fallout: Equestria because most of my brony chat group friends love the hell out of it, I'm enjoying a lot more than I thought I would. 

They're so hell-bent on giving, walking a wire
Convinced it's not living if you stand outside the fire

-Garth Brooks/Standing Outside The Fire

nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #730 on: September 17, 2013, 10:33:50 PM »

finished the 5 official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books that were written by Adams himself, now onto And Another Thing... by Eoin Colfer, the 6th book in the series. every review i've read said it sticks mostly true to the canon of the originals, but isn't nearly as funny or well written. only 1 chapter in and i'm kind of seeing that already, it's not terrible but just doesn't feel as good as the others.

We bought that book at the dollar store. It sits on the 'to read' shelf.....staring at me.

It's okay though, I can ignore that book because there are about 200 other books doing the same thing.
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #731 on: September 26, 2013, 02:58:29 PM »

We bought that book at the dollar store. It sits on the 'to read' shelf.....staring at me.

It's okay though, I can ignore that book because there are about 200 other books doing the same thing.

i don't have nearly that many, but i'm trying really hard not to buy many more right now until i finish what i have.

finished And Another Thing..., it was very mediocre and not that funny compared to the ones actually written by douglas adams. too much focus on characters i didn't really care that much about (Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged and Thor God of Thunder mostly). to anyone reading the Guide series, i'd recommend not reading this one, it just drags it out unneccesarily.

started The Road by Cormac McCarthy yesterday. the style is a huge culture shock after the Guide, but so far it's interesting. haven't decided yet if i like it or not, because i'm not exactly sure what's going on. I really like the imagery though, and the dark and depressing style is really well done, so i'll keep at it.
The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #732 on: September 26, 2013, 09:24:26 PM »

i don't have nearly that many, but i'm trying really hard not to buy many more right now until i finish what i have.

finished And Another Thing..., it was very mediocre and not that funny compared to the ones actually written by douglas adams. too much focus on characters i didn't really care that much about (Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged and Thor God of Thunder mostly). to anyone reading the Guide series, i'd recommend not reading this one, it just drags it out unneccesarily.

started The Road by Cormac McCarthy yesterday. the style is a huge culture shock after the Guide, but so far it's interesting. haven't decided yet if i like it or not, because i'm not exactly sure what's going on. I really like the imagery though, and the dark and depressing style is really well done, so i'll keep at it.

The Road is one of my all time favorites. It ain't happy though.

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #733 on: September 26, 2013, 09:43:40 PM »

I'm taking a Discworld break and I started reading a Shadowrun book, Burning Bright. It's a bit of a slow start but its picking up. It's not a bad place to start to see what mages are capable of.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #734 on: October 08, 2013, 07:25:44 PM »

I finished Burning Bright last night. Haven't had a lot of reading time lately. I'll pick something new here tonight when I get back home from boozing.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 60 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length