RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:50:19 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Media Room (Moderator: wildbil52) | What are you reading right now 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 60 Print
Author Topic: What are you reading right now  (Read 246907 times)
nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #765 on: July 27, 2014, 05:58:35 PM »

Read the Way of Kings and Words of Radiance. Really great fantasy, I'd argue the most well developed and original fantasy world since Tolkien.

I reserved that audiobook just now because of you. I like to test out peoples claim's of comparison to Tolkien   Wink

Recently finished The Name of the Wind in paper form and the second book in the series, The Wise Man's Fear in audio book form. Before that was Have Space Suit—Will Travel.

Reading those 'Name of the Wind' books probably has got me warmed up to trying something like Way of Kings, the wait list is long so it might be a while before I get to it though.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #766 on: July 31, 2014, 09:43:15 AM »

Finished Persuasion. It was a good book. Two more and I'll have finished my Jane Austen novels.
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #767 on: July 31, 2014, 04:28:09 PM »

Last night I finished Who Hunts the Hunter, one of my Shadowrun novels. It was a fun read, but I still prefer Burning Bright.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #768 on: September 05, 2014, 09:13:57 PM »

finally picked up The History of Middle Earth series again after barely touching it for years. i had also taken a general break from reading the past month to do some mobile gaming with Chrono Trigger.

i'm on Book 6 The Return of the Shadow right now which is the first of the "History of the Lord of the Rings" sub-set in this series. so far it's so straightforward and easy to read in comparison to the earlier books which is a nice change of pace.
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #769 on: September 12, 2014, 12:40:20 AM »

Picked this up this afternoon, and have just gotten into the first chapter.

[img width=357 height=497]http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y409/Zagnorch/wallbook_zpsebc47ccb.jpg[/img]

BTW I made a concerted effort to read the first volume of LotR, by which I mean it's taken me three months just to get through the first twenty-five pages of the story. I'm sorry to disappoint you all, but it looks like I'm gonna bail on it. I really, really tried, but... I sincerely don't find it all that interesting.

However, I did enjoy reading the introduction and preface, which detailed Tolkien's lifelong obsession with constantly correcting the books' textual and grammatical errors, with his son carrying on those duties after his passing. It just goes to show that I much prefer reading actual, real-life accounts over fictional ones. I'm far more fascinated by in the facts and history of Lord of the Rings' authorship and stewardship than the story itself.

Anyway, I hope you can all forgive me for failing to appreciate this (allegedly) timeless classic tale. But if you can't, I understand...  :'(

'Late
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #770 on: September 21, 2014, 02:20:35 PM »

No surprise here:

[img width=334 height=483]http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y409/Zagnorch/sulleybook_zps5bc4bab9.jpg[/img]
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #771 on: September 21, 2014, 06:06:58 PM »

Last night I finished Who Hunts the Hunter, one of my Shadowrun novels. It was a fun read, but I still prefer Burning Bright.

I had a ton of fun reading Burning Bright back in the day.  I'll have to dig it up and read it again.  For right now I'm finishing up that old Shirley Jackson gem, The House on Haunted Hill.  Excellent novel.  I love that you can feel the insanity of the characters.  To those that haven't read it, I highly recommend it.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #772 on: September 21, 2014, 09:10:18 PM »

I finished up Going Postal (there's a movie of this book and its quite good) and I'm about ready to finally read The Halfling's Gem!

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Ghost Soldier
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #773 on: October 04, 2014, 11:07:55 PM »

Just finished Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose.  Just started Christine by Stephen King

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #774 on: October 05, 2014, 06:22:10 PM »

finished Return of the Shadow a week or so ago, then started and finished a StarCraft book called Shadow of the Xel'Naga on a friend's recommendation, it was ok. started the bible that i posted about buying in the other book topic. finished part 1 of that, which isn't part of the actual bible but an editor's segment on the history of it's publication and various translations, and some notes on how they determine what's authentic. basically, what the bible says is real because the bible says it is. that and "no one else thought of this so there's no way human minds could have come up with it!" apparently that's proof enough to stop all skeptics from disbelieving it...i'm still skeptical.

edit: started Of Mice And Men on the bus to work this morning, finished it an hour after getting home. it was interesting, well written but i'm not sure if i like it yet or not.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 10:57:58 PM by techwizard » Logged
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #775 on: November 22, 2014, 08:17:55 PM »

I finished reading Interesting Times. The ending leads right into The Last Continent, so I know what I'm reading next.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #776 on: November 22, 2014, 08:53:44 PM »

apparently i haven't posted here in a while. still chugging away at the Bible very, very slowly. i just finished Leviticus, so about 95 pages into the Old Testament. at first glance the whole thing is around 1400 pages. then i realized that there are tons and tons of reference segments at the end. thanks to that it looks like the important parts of this are only around 850 pages or so in total, which makes it seem way more reasonable.

I also started War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy at some point, currently around 550 pages into that. it's really good, and i wouldn't call it difficult but it's definitely long.

lastly, started Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson a while back to read in bed, but haven't done much of that so i'm only about 4 chapters in. i like it so far though.
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #777 on: November 22, 2014, 11:40:09 PM »

Been reading through Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone with my son.
He is really into it but i'm going to guess that most of the slang terms and Hagrids cockney don't make much sense to him.

Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #778 on: December 11, 2014, 12:24:53 AM »

Been Reading the Dragonlance Chronicles. I am currently on Vol 2

Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #779 on: January 02, 2015, 10:29:41 PM »

Just picked up a copy of Strictly Business by former 49ers running back Roger Craig.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 60 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length