RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:28:37 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Media Room (Moderator: wildbil52) | What are you reading right now 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 60 Print
Author Topic: What are you reading right now  (Read 246076 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #810 on: April 13, 2015, 07:57:02 AM »

I may start 1Q84 next, as I just picked up a copy, maybe Rich and I will start an RFGeneration Community Readthrough.

Murakami is one of those special authors that I really enjoy recommending and sharing with others. I'd describe his work as magical-realism, as it is very realistic, but often imposes strange events and magical characters on you to make you question your idea of "real." I often get the eye roll when people see me reading something "Japanese," as if I'm just doing it to look cool, but in all honesty, Murakami's work translates well to any situation/environment. Even though his works are set in Japan, other than the names of the places, you feel that his characters could be living anywhere. There is nothing strictly "Japanese" about his work, but Japan and its history are characters of their own at times. He's a fantastic writer and one of those guys who will sometimes get a random loud chuckle out of me when I'm reading.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
JSoup
Virtual Boy
United States

Stats
« Reply #811 on: April 13, 2015, 02:38:59 PM »

Finished Ready Player One over the weekend. It seems that about halfway through writing the book the author Ernest Cline learned the proper way to do references (being, in my opinion, to drop them without further explanation and if the reader doesn't know what it is he can go look it up if he wants to) so the second half of the book was immensely more enjoyable than the first. The ending had me tearing up a bit. It was also nice to bond over the book with my wife.

I may start 1Q84 next, as I just picked up a copy, maybe Rich and I will start an RFGeneration Community Readthrough.

I felt that the second half of the book also had the weakest moment in the story, the part where the main character goes Oceans 11 for a chapter.
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #812 on: April 14, 2015, 02:14:47 AM »

considering my current interests i'm all for the idea of a community read-through, even if it was suggested as a joke. the only problem is that participation is relatively low most months for the playthroughs, which is something people on this website are here for, games. i can't imagine a book club being very popular, but it would sure be a lot easier to manage...not much need for "hosts" at all, just divide the book into segments based on chapters/rough page counts and you're good to go.
GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #813 on: April 14, 2015, 10:37:15 AM »

considering my current interests i'm all for the idea of a community read-through

Check this out. It's a work in progress and we're still figuring out the best parameters, but we're going to try it.

http://www.rfgeneration.c...m/index.php?topic=15511.0

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #814 on: April 14, 2015, 02:54:55 PM »

considering my current interests i'm all for the idea of a community read-through

Check this out. It's a work in progress and we're still figuring out the best parameters, but we're going to try it.

http://www.rfgeneration.c...m/index.php?topic=15511.0

cool! i can't remember if i own this, i think i might...if not i see it at work all the time and could pick up a copy easily.
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #815 on: April 20, 2015, 11:27:42 PM »

finished 1984, i now understand why it's so popular, what a book. definitely the dystopia novel.
Ghost Soldier
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #816 on: May 14, 2015, 06:31:17 PM »

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying by Marie Kondo

JSoup
Virtual Boy
United States

Stats
« Reply #817 on: May 14, 2015, 11:56:08 PM »

Still more comics~
All of Dial H for Hero, from the original all the way up to the New 52 series.
All of SuperMan: Red Son.
Recently released second to last volume of Fables.
The stores make my head spin.
JSoup
Virtual Boy
United States

Stats
« Reply #818 on: July 06, 2015, 05:32:24 PM »

Recently finished:
Service Games: The Rise and Fall of SEGA: Enhanced Edition
Every X-Men main storyline from 2010 to just before the start of Death of Wolverine.
You want a nose bleed? Shotgun a crap lot of X-Men all at once.
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #819 on: July 07, 2015, 02:47:15 AM »

finished Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales! took a whole 4 months to finish, i could never get into it enough to go through more than 20 or 30 pages in one sitting. it's really hard to get interested in a collection of stories when they're all mostly 2 - 5 pages long. takes away any sort of reading rhythm. overall i'm glad i finished it, but i wouldn't recommend reading it cover to cover like i did. pick stories at random that look interesting and see what you think, otherwise you're dealing with a lot of repeated storylines that get old real fast.

back to a small Kafka collection which i had only finished 3 of the stories in it. i made it through the next 2 today, The Stoker and In the Penal Colony. The latter was disturbing and gruesome but great, the former wasn't so good imo but i feel like it was saying a lot more than i was getting out of it. i believe i only have another 5 stories in that collection and i'm going through it fairly quick so it should be done in the next few days.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #820 on: July 21, 2015, 08:17:53 AM »

I'm reading through A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. I'm nearly halfway through it.

My reading isn't that fast because I only tend to read before I go to bed. If I would read throughout the day, I could read a lot more. Maybe I should.
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #821 on: July 21, 2015, 10:36:50 AM »

I'm reading through A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. I'm nearly halfway through it.

Now that you've read about the first city, it's on to the second one. Tongue
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #822 on: September 03, 2015, 11:17:14 PM »

6 People who are Ruining Online Gaming on Cracked.com:

http://www.cracked.com/bl...re-ruining-online-gaming/

Now I know why I prefer to play my vidya solo. 'Cuz, let's face it: people freakin' suck, and human interaction is overrated.
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #823 on: September 06, 2015, 01:46:33 PM »

Reading the Star Wars novel Death Star

FatherJack
On Hiatus
United Kingdom
Awards: 2015 RFGENERATION TOP RUN N' GUNNER

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #824 on: September 11, 2015, 03:51:53 AM »

The classic War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells.

Been a huge fan of the musical version by Jeff Wayne since I was a small boy. Time to read the inspiration behind the album.

The major difference is the book has two characters, the journalist living in the countryside and his brother who lives in London. The album has just the journalist (narrated by Richard Burton) starting in the countryside and making his way to and through London.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 60 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length