RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 03:56:16 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Welp, Microsoft Just Blew Their Foot Off 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18 Print
Author Topic: Welp, Microsoft Just Blew Their Foot Off  (Read 42579 times)
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #120 on: June 06, 2013, 07:48:44 PM »

Wow. Just... wow. I didn't think it could get worse: http://m.ign.com/articles...-used-games-always-online

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #121 on: June 06, 2013, 08:36:02 PM »

I still can't get over how bad they're blowing this.

Yatzhee's video today pretty much told people to not buy a next-gen console. I think the return of the PC to the forefront of gaming is nigh.

When shall his new form be revealed?
KidA
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #122 on: June 06, 2013, 09:53:25 PM »

What's worse about these announcements?  I think the rumors were more severe.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #123 on: June 06, 2013, 10:01:14 PM »

For me it is the verbiage "can enable" and "participating retailers."

"can enable" says to me that by default, it isn't enabled. Meaning that no used game sales unless they want to turn that feature on.

"participating retailers" tells me that they are going to squeeze out the small stores that I enjoy going to. But hey, there's always GameStop.  Roll Eyes

KidA
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #124 on: June 06, 2013, 10:13:27 PM »

I agree with your reasoning.  Hopefully they allow "participating retailers" to encompass the local mom & pops.  I guess this would render reselling online or in person useless, unless they establish the online marketplace that was mentioned before.  With EA recently eliminating online passes, I hope that even the big names realize the detriment of instantly changing the console ecosystem.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #125 on: June 06, 2013, 11:02:08 PM »

It's just altogether too convoluted and obnoxious. Don't we just want to play freaking good games?

Backwards compatibility was NEVER an issue until PS2, and now all of the sudden people act like its the end of the world if a system doesn't support it.

It's like the industry is being taken over by information entropy. AND WE DON'T WANT TO BE DEALING WITH THERMODYNAMICS, WE JUST WANT TO PLAY FUCKING GAMMMMMESSSS

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #126 on: June 07, 2013, 01:09:03 AM »

most of these are just confirming rumours but i agree with kida, a lot of these sound better than the rumours made it out to be. the backwards compatibility thing is only an issue because every system offered it last generation, and ps2 the generation before. it's never good to take away a successful feature, even if it's not used by a huge percentage of people. why mess with a good thing? so they can have an excuse to re-release these games in compilations and HD packs without people having a cheaper alternative. that's why people are mad Tongue
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #127 on: June 07, 2013, 09:28:30 PM »

Hmm... participating retailers? Sounds like Microsft may charge a fee to stores for the privilege to be one of these participating retailers.

blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #128 on: June 10, 2013, 01:46:39 PM »

XBone launches in November for $499.  Your move, Sony.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 01:50:32 PM by blcklblskt » Logged
SlasherNES
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #129 on: June 10, 2013, 02:13:59 PM »

Ugh, I think I'm going to stick to retor gaming for awhile. Tongue

Shop smart! Shop S-Mart!
Wolfman's got nards!
If it bleeds, we can kill it.
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #130 on: June 10, 2013, 02:37:49 PM »

Just saw the sneak potash for Killzone 4.....hmm....this is the PS"4", right?  It looked no different than anything I've seen on the current gen systems.  I haven't been wowed by anything yet by either company yet.

InvadErGII
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #131 on: June 10, 2013, 02:43:56 PM »

I was a lot more impressed with what Microsoft showed off today than I expected...until I saw the price.

On the other hand, new Killer Instinct...

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #132 on: June 10, 2013, 03:51:35 PM »

people will have to really stop buying new hardware for the graphics only and focus more on the games. we're at the point where unless someone comes up with some completely new way of programming game engines, the graphics aren't going to change that drastically. it's not like we're ever going to see another snes to n64 level of transition, and it's all about minor refinements now. they will of course be noticeable after more time (compare launch title 360 and ps3 games to current games, it's a big difference), but year to year it's not going to be that big.
The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #133 on: June 10, 2013, 04:17:00 PM »

people will have to really stop buying new hardware for the graphics only and focus more on the games. we're at the point where unless someone comes up with some completely new way of programming game engines, the graphics aren't going to change that drastically. it's not like we're ever going to see another snes to n64 level of transition, and it's all about minor refinements now. they will of course be noticeable after more time (compare launch title 360 and ps3 games to current games, it's a big difference), but year to year it's not going to be that big.

It would be if devs didn't have to design by the constraints of consoles.

Leynos
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #134 on: June 10, 2013, 04:34:55 PM »

Killer Instinct is developed not by rare but double helix. Known for amazing games as Silent Hill Homecoming and battleship. Wow MS you messed up yet again
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length