RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:44:42 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Welp, Microsoft Just Blew Their Foot Off 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18 Print
Author Topic: Welp, Microsoft Just Blew Their Foot Off  (Read 42008 times)
Cryptid Collector
SNES
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 04:38:03 PM »

Looks like Microsoft is telling the site they won't confirm the info came from them now, I wonder if they're back-peddling.

They're so hell-bent on giving, walking a wire
Convinced it's not living if you stand outside the fire

-Garth Brooks/Standing Outside The Fire

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 04:40:49 PM »

I really think companies "release" this info to see the response and go from there. It is a long time until both systems come out so stuff can change.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 04:51:03 PM »

I know I'm late to the party on this one, but I don't really feel too badly about having to pay a small fee to play a used game. The key word being, small. Wouldn't a used game purchase plus an installation fee still be cheaper than a new game?

Time to go watch the big reveal so I'm on the same page as everybody.

Ok, no Alan Wake 2. Nothing to see here, moving along.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 04:59:48 PM by Fleach » Logged

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 04:51:43 PM »

Assuming the PS4 won't follow suit isn't a foregone conclusion. The publishers are pushing this, and they are the ones that control where their titles go. If Xbox One is more profitable, they will get the bulk of content. Either way Sony was smart to at least not be the first one to say this out loud.

Personally for me, this reveal was terrible. I like the controller, and so far that is about it. I have a feeling this press event was more for investors, and certainly not aimed at the gamer market. I think this is a mistake, but until I see more information about games I'm not excited about any of the next generation systems.

I'm like Bil in that used game fees don't bother me as I tend to buy new when the price is low. I don't rent games either, but it does stink that I can't borrow games from a friend after this. The only flaw that I potentially see in their system is account sharing since you don't need the discs. You could access a huge library if you can just connect with a friend that works an opposite shift.

It is really clear that "collecting" for the Xbox One is pointless for me. Online activation negates any long term play past its life cycle, and in my mind gives it even less value than a service like Steam which will most likely outlive the lifespan of the Xbox One.

The news so far on this entire next generation so far is rather blah to me, but let's hope that E3 brings a better focus on the real reason I care about any of it: the games.

Edit: Now it seems to get worse: http://kotaku.com/you-wil...s-online-micros-509140825
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 05:08:09 PM by Duke.Togo » Logged

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 05:59:30 PM »

It gets even worse. I don't know why, but Kotaku is actually all over this and doing fairly well today. They're much better at reveals and not at "LOL check out this random Japanese bullcrap! Isn't it awesome?"

http://kotaku.com/xbox-on...ion-cant-play-o-509164109

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Cryptid Collector
SNES
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 06:22:18 PM »

Well, we knew Microsoft well, he may have been a grouchy old cougar that alway's wanted to borrow money and mooch of out of out fridge, but he was still a old friend we had some good times with

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 06:23:57 PM »

Seems Microsoft folks can't get their story straight. I'm thinking the PR people are going to be working overtime with damage control from Phil Harrison.

http://majornelson.com/20.../xbox-one-and-used-games/

Cryptid Collector
SNES
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 06:26:07 PM »

Seems Microsoft folks can't get their story straight. I'm thinking the PR people are going to be working overtime with damage control from Phil Harrison.

Yeah "When signed in to YOUR profile" that doesn't dispel anything at all.

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2013, 06:36:12 PM »

They'll find a way to charge $1 for a profile transfer.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2013, 06:37:18 PM »

That lets me know everything I wanted to know - it's exactly like DRM on Xbox 360 right now.

Cryptid Collector
SNES
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2013, 06:38:35 PM »

That lets me know everything I wanted to know - it's exactly like DRM on Xbox 360 right now.

Only on downloads, this is on actual game discs as well.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2013, 06:39:20 PM »

It's exactly like the DRM on downloadable titles on Xbox 360 right now. They are just broadening it to all titles.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 06:51:45 PM »

It's exactly like the DRM on downloadable titles on Xbox 360 right now. They are just broadening it to all titles.

The DRM is the same - I never implied that the retail discs had DRM on Xbox 360. I fail to see how this is a problem though for normal gamers who consume mostly digital titles these days. It's starting to look like this is going to be the start of the end of physical media though.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2013, 06:53:50 PM »

The DRM is the same - I never implied that the retail discs had DRM on Xbox 360. I fail to see how this is a problem though for normal gamers who consume mostly digital titles these days. It's starting to look like this is going to be the start of the end of physical media though.

I'm not normal? Sad

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Cryptid Collector
SNES
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2013, 06:54:09 PM »

That's the thing, most of us don't, or Gamestop would be gone.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length