RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:32:28 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | A smokers home (effects on consoles) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A smokers home (effects on consoles)  (Read 2298 times)
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« on: June 13, 2013, 11:09:47 AM »

I'm thinking about bidding on a Genesis 1 console from eBay, but it says it's from a smokers home. He says it works perfectly, so my question is - should I be leery of this? does smoke really damage electronics that much?
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 11:13:48 AM »

I'm thinking about bidding on a Genesis 1 console from eBay, but it says it's from a smokers home. He says it works perfectly, so my question is - should I be leery of this? does smoke really damage electronics that much?

It usually leaves residue on the consoles (and possibly inside) and can carry the smell of smoke. Get some ozone spray and clean it out and there's nothing wrong, but it means extra effort.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 11:43:52 AM »

Cover the console with dryer sheets. Then your Genesis will smell like lavender.

If you clean it thoroughly it should be fine.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 01:12:16 PM »

Thanks guys!
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 02:11:21 PM »

I've purchased plenty of systems that wreaked of cigarette smoke smell (as in, if you got within 15 feet of it, you could smell it) but just leaving it sit out in the open, the smell will dissipate and then disappear after a few days. Leaving it in the sun on a sunny day will speed the process up.
However, for consoles that are lightly colored (SNES, Wii, Xbox 360, etc) the smoke can discolor the plastic, which is essentially permanent.

EvilAsh
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 03:52:03 PM »

I just purchased a Saturn that must've been from a smoker.  When I opened the cartridge slot It smelled like stale cigarettes.  After cleaning it with Windex and shining it up with WD-40 it smells fresh. It works perfectly though. 
Cryptid Collector
SNES
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 04:39:14 PM »

Old consoles like that tend to be east to clean, just take the shell off carefully and soak it dish soap(the shell, not he guts) and the crud comes right off. Use 90% rubbing alcohol, q-tips, and soft cloth for the sensitive parts.   

They're so hell-bent on giving, walking a wire
Convinced it's not living if you stand outside the fire

-Garth Brooks/Standing Outside The Fire

sektor75
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 11:32:38 PM »

I have a theory that everyone in Japan (even kids) smoked two packs a day at minimum in the 80s. Nearly every Famicom game I've picked up has had layers of nicotine on it. Clorox wipes work good to get it cleaned off, but by the time it's clean the wipe looks like used TP.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/sektor75.png[/img]
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 06:04:01 PM »

I have a theory that everyone in Japan (even kids) smoked two packs a day at minimum in the 80s. Nearly every Famicom game I've picked up has had layers of nicotine on it. Clorox wipes work good to get it cleaned off, but by the time it's clean the wipe looks like used TP.
Your post instantly made me think of this:

Though my memory had more of the kids smoking.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 06:08:01 PM »

Without even pressing play, that looks like Hackers Turtles.

h1ghw1nd
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 06:26:26 PM »

Hackers and TMNT are two of my favorite movies  leo

@NES_Rules Regular, or menthol?

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 09:24:15 AM »

I have a theory that everyone in Japan (even kids) smoked two packs a day at minimum in the 80s. Nearly every Famicom game I've picked up has had layers of nicotine on it.
I'm convinced that the consoles themselves smoked 2 packs a day.
nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 12:07:34 PM »

Cover the console with dryer sheets. Then your Genesis will smell like lavender.

If you clean it thoroughly it should be fine.

My wife is extremely sensitive to cigarette smoke. Of the few things I've brought home which smell smokey, they get this treatment. Covering things in dryer sheets works really well, I didn't believe it before I tried it. Just wrap whatever it is completely and let sit a few days. Works great.
Raidou
DB Reviewer
Australia

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 06:14:13 PM »

Dryer sheets work well on cardboard boxes and instruction manuals too.
killerkobra
Memorex VIS
Canada

Stats
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2013, 06:55:05 PM »

All I know is I bought 2 atari controllers from value village for $3 and my god. They were rancid with smoke smell. They were in a baggie so I couldn't tell when I bought then. I tried airing them out for weeks and still stunk. I ended up throwing them out.

Current Collection last Updated April 21th 2012
http://www.backloggery.com/killerkobra
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length