RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:46:39 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | BioShock Infinite DLC Thread. Contains Spoilers. It's all over. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: BioShock Infinite DLC Thread. Contains Spoilers. It's all over.  (Read 12243 times)
GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2013, 08:54:13 AM »

OK, I'm ready to spoil. Anyone else need more time?

The thread was declared spoiled days ago. I'm very interested what you think Duke. Go for it.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2013, 10:17:15 AM »

Elizabeth's contempt for "Mr. DeWitt" was evident from the start. Of course I didn't really understand why until the end, but they played it out really well. This attitude, along with the same necklace from the first game and her pinky finger make me think that this is the same Elizabeth from the first game's timeline (especially because we see that not all Elizabeths lost their finger). This reinforces my understanding of the first ending, in which the original Elizabeth is not present at the final baptism, and does not disappear,

It seems that Elizabeth and the Luteces are on a mission to eliminate all of the Comstocks throughout the timelines. It seems that Suchong is on to her abilities, so I wonder if he will play a bigger role in part 2. I am sure Ryan and Fontaine both would be very interested in controlling her power.

Overall, I really enjoyed this DLC. I spent a lot of time exploring the environment and taking it all in. Rapture is such an interesting environment, and dealing with Cohen again gives me the creeps.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2013, 10:58:49 PM »

Sander Cohen is as creepy as ever!

I loved wandering through a living, thriving Rapture and being able to take in its ambiance as the home for the intellectual elite.

I realized early on that this Elizabeth was the same one from Infinite, but once I noticed "AD" tattooed on Booker's hand I knew this was a new Booker. I didn't pick up on any tension between Liz and Booker, I just assumed Elizabeth didn't want to seem like she came from another timeline.

Duke's point about Ryan and Fountaine wanting to get a hold of Elizabeth is an interesting idea. They could benefit a lot from manipulating her.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2013, 09:30:51 AM »

No surprise Ken Levine is in the media again. This time he was interviewed on the topic of violence in video games.

http://www.bostonmagazine...ames-bioshock-infinite/3/

His view was that art has a responsibility to convey and portray violence since it is a real human and physical concept. Picaso's Guernica depicts violence, many colonial era paintings do to; books and movies depict it as well. I can handle depictions of violence in these media because I'm removed from it. I'm experiencing it from the outside. While in video games I'm tasked with being the instigator of the brutality and the recipient of it from enemies. Basically, killing in games is hard and I cringe when I have to do it, especially in gruesome ways.

Violence has played a major role in our history, but to say art (in this case games) is responsible to is a stretch. So fellow BioShock Jockeys (see what I did there Wink?), what do you think? Can you handle the displays of blood thirst in games? Are they "responsible" to depict it? I'm excited to read what you have to say.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2013, 10:31:19 PM »

I think the Infinite portrays violence in a stark manner that doesn't glorify it. The shooting mechanics are used against enemies that are trying to do the same to you. The skyhook attacks are gruesome, and in a way that makes you feel uncomfortable. It even plays a sound that is straight out of a horror movie. I think it's meant to make you feel something when you decide to melee execute a person. It's ugly, it's in your face, and it's unapologetic. I think it fits.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2013, 07:20:35 AM »

I agree that the violence is done well and isn't pleasant. The shrieking violin played during gruesome executions is also great in bringing out that ugly feeling.

I think I was particularly aware of the brutality in Infinite because I went straight into it from BioShock 1 which wasn't quite your average FPS. Combat was pretty scares in that the first game it was easier to cope with because you were gunning down people who weren't really people anymore. Their abuse of Adam twisted them into these monsters inside human skin so I didn't see them as conscious beings. Infinite on the other hand had you plowing through waves of sentient guards. Taking down the mechanical enemies were easier to cope with.

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2014, 07:31:27 AM »

Just saw the Episode 2 trailer posted on NeoGaf. Here it is. Time to get excited again!

*Contains spoilers for Episode One, Bioshock, etc. Basically you might want to be all caught up before you watch this.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2014, 08:44:36 AM »

Man, you're fast! I just saw the preview video and was about to post it.

Boy oh boy, will this be a GREAT installment! I can't wait to play it.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2014, 09:53:10 PM »

Mark your calendars, guys! March 25th is a big day!

http://ca.ign.com/article...ea-episode-2-release-date

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2014, 01:36:02 PM »

Irrational Games is shutting down.

http://irrationalgames.com/

This is obviously major news and is being covered everywhere. Check out any video gaming site for further analysis.

Crazy.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2014, 09:32:36 PM »

sounds like they're quitting while they're ahead, hopefully bioshock ends here (unless it ended on a cliffhanger then that would suck). i don't mean that in a "bioshock sucks" way, just that i'd rather it be a blockbuster series that wasn't milked to death like most others for once
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2014, 09:14:57 AM »

The BioShock franchise is would have to be over for Levine to come out with this announcement. Burial at Sea Part 2 has a release date so it must be close to completion, if not already done.

There could various reasons for this shut-down to happen. Maybe Ken Levine wants to go back to his roots of small teams or highly talented and inspired people making games. Maybe he wants to go indie (he said he will still be part of Take Two so think of the relationship between thatgamecompany and Sony).

Or, we never know, he might want to out with a bang. Whittle the team down to the best of the best, produce something superb, and then walk off into the sunset.

It's unfortunate really. Think of all the people who came in to the office ready to work only to have their department heads pull them aside and tell them they don't have a job anymore. It's nice that they can use the facilities to work on portfolios for a short while, but it's devastating news for the staff.

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2014, 09:45:40 AM »

http://www.polygon.com/20...an-be-pre-ordered-for-250

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2014, 01:44:56 PM »

that's pretty awesome
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2014, 11:43:30 PM »

No surprise Ken Levine is in the media again. This time he was interviewed on the topic of violence in video games.

http://www.bostonmagazine...ames-bioshock-infinite/3/

His view was that art has a responsibility to convey and portray violence since it is a real human and physical concept. Picaso's Guernica depicts violence, many colonial era paintings do to; books and movies depict it as well. I can handle depictions of violence in these media because I'm removed from it. I'm experiencing it from the outside. While in video games I'm tasked with being the instigator of the brutality and the recipient of it from enemies. Basically, killing in games is hard and I cringe when I have to do it, especially in gruesome ways.

Violence has played a major role in our history, but to say art (in this case games) is responsible to is a stretch. So fellow BioShock Jockeys (see what I did there Wink?), what do you think? Can you handle the displays of blood thirst in games? Are they "responsible" to depict it? I'm excited to read what you have to say.

Sorry I missed this discussion. I think the violence in Infinite is brutal and disturbing and an absolutely essential device to the delivery of the story. The game is a masterpiece in the way it draws you into the drama; into the shoes of Booker, and the escalating levels of violence are a key part of the plot. You are fighting an army you essentially created yourself, and it requires a descent into the depraved.

The way, as you and Duke said, you physically grimace as you rip an enemy to pieces, contrasts amazingly with the gorgeous settings and the adorable girl you're running around with and, eventually, doing these things for. The game was just such a step in the right direction for linear game direction that it sticks with me still. I see a picture of Elizabeth on a website or something and I get tingles.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length