RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:04:36 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | TG-16 or 3DO? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Poll
Question: Taking in all factors, which is the better system?
TG-16   -14 (93.3%)
3DO   -1 (6.7%)
Total Voters: 15

Author Topic: TG-16 or 3DO?  (Read 3009 times)
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« on: August 12, 2013, 12:00:15 PM »

One day I hope to own both, but I'd like to own one of them by the end of the year. I've never even seen either of these systems in real life. I just wanted some of your opinions.

Factors may include: price, rarity, chances of repair, quality of games, exclusives, quality of ports compared to their competitors, anything else you can think of, and of course, coolness  Cool
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 12:12:57 PM »

I'm partial to the 3DO, but I'd love to own some TG-16 games. They're just much harder to find in my area. Cry

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 12:42:53 PM »

My area is eBay because my local game store is 40 minutes away and doesn't carry games for either of those systems.

EDIT - I want a 3DO for a great port of Another World (one of my faves), and games like Star Control II, Lucienne's Quest, and Wing Commander III. For TG-16, I'm looking for nice shooters, side-scrollers, and maybe some obscure RPG.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 12:52:21 PM by Dezorian » Logged
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 12:52:52 PM »

I'd say its TG-16, no contest in pretty much every area you mentioned. I've had about the same amount of experience with both consoles and I'm in love with my TG-16. The 3DO has some cool stuff too, but I find its generally not as polished and you get pretty spendy if you want the more interesting titles while the TG-16 has tons of great titles at reasonable prices.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 12:56:10 PM »

I'd say its TG-16, no contest in pretty much every area you mentioned. I've had about the same amount of experience with both consoles and I'm in love with my TG-16. The 3DO has some cool stuff too, but I find its generally not as polished and you get pretty spendy if you want the more interesting titles while the TG-16 has tons of great titles at reasonable prices.

Lucienne's Quest is pricey, and the TG-16 doesn't have any stellar RPGs if I remember correctly.

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 02:59:33 PM »

I appreciate the input. I still need some time to save a little cash before I make any serious moves, but I'll be stalking eBay in the meantime.

Any difference in quality of different 3DO's? Goldstar or Panasonic or whoever makes them?

What about TG-16 CD, worth it? Also, what about a PC Engine? If it doesn't have any stellar RPG's, then I won't really need to read Japanese. I'd like to play that Castlevania game. I know it's on SNES, but I've heard it's a little sloppy on it.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 03:40:01 PM »

I'd highly recommend going the PC Engine route, and is the route I went. All the CD games are region free, and most of the HuCard games you'd want to play don't require much Japanese. Less expensive and you can get a Everdrive and burn games if you want to check them out before buying.

I can't comment on the quality of the different 3DO models. I personally have a Panasonic FZ-1, and it still works fine.

ApolloBoy
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 04:19:54 PM »

I'd also go with the PCE route. The CD games are definitely worth it, there's a ton of great games that were only released on CD and as Duke said, the PCE CD/TG-CD is totally region-free. Personally I'd recommend picking up a Duo-R as opposed to a PCE with a separate CD attachment as it'll save you some trouble.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=ApolloBoy[/img]
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 10:13:49 PM »

i went with TG-16 too, but i'm biased because i have no experience with the 3DO.
Leynos
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 12:21:31 AM »

TG16 is awesome
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 07:27:32 AM »

I'm in the TG-16/PC Engine camp. I'd second the recommendation for the Duo-R route.

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Banards
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 10:33:38 PM »

Just thinking back on both, and I remember quite a few games that I enjoyed on both systems. Bonk, Splatterhouse, and R-Type on the the Turbo and the Ys series on the Turbo CD.
With the 3DO I really enjoyed the original Need for Speed, Gex, and Samurai Shodown.

I think the Turbo is the better bang for the buck of the two, I'd jump on it first.

As expensive as they are now, I REALLY wish I had held on to them when I had them.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Necrosaro
Virtual Boy
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 02:57:43 AM »

Turbografx-16 is DEFINITELY the better of the two consoles. 3DO had very little going for it, and most collectors just get one for the novelty of it. The TG-16 is worth its price tag and then some. You might even want to consider tracking down a PC Engine or the TG-CD/PCE-CD/Turbo Duo; those systems were an importer's wet dream, if you're in to that. Dracula: Rondo of Blood is still the greatest PC Engine CD game I've ever played. The Ys games were also really amazing for that day and age.

3DO had some really good arcade ports that were considerably better than the competition, Samurai Spirits and the later Mortal Kombat titles come to mind, but aside from some arcade ports, 3DO was mostly known for its cringe-worthy FMV titles, the same ones that pretty much killed off the Sega CD. Not a good thing when your console was priced at $700 at launch.

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 02:43:52 PM »

Thank you everyone! Going into this, I was expecting a lot more 3DO support. And an extra thanks for suggesting PC Engine. I own Victory Run (I got it for free), but I guess I can live without playing it Smiley
Missionfailed
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 03:18:03 PM »

Never owned a 3D0 but i loved the TG16, especially the Duo R. I had both Duo and Duo R and would like to own them again.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length