RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:45:28 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | October Retro Community Playthrough - Castlevania II: Simon's Quest 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Print
Author Topic: October Retro Community Playthrough - Castlevania II: Simon's Quest  (Read 36011 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #150 on: November 01, 2013, 08:39:51 AM »

Yeah, even though I love Simon's Quest, I agree with a lot of what Duke said. I would like more (in quantity) and more difficult boss battles.  I think the game would have been a classic had there been a "mandatory" boss battle before each body part. I think with this simple addition, more people would be praising this game as one of the best on the system.

Duke is also right about the secondary items. Other than the holy water, laurels, and the rib, I never find myself using any of the other items (other than those that are essential to progressing: the crystals and the heart). Tracking down these items is fun and interesting, but unless you are a completionist, it's really a waste of time.

I agree that Castlevania III is a great game, but I think it owes a lot to its predecessors. Though it takes the majority of its gameplay style from the original, it is much less linear in that you are able to choose a specific paths to get to Dracula. 

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #151 on: November 01, 2013, 11:07:39 AM »

The game would have been a classic had there been a "mandatory" boss battle before each body part. I think with this simple addition, more people would be praising this game as one of the best on the system.

Duke is also right about the secondary items. Other than the holy water, laurels, and the rib, I never find myself using any of the other items (other than those that are essential to progressing: the crystals and the heart). Tracking down these items is fun and interesting, but unless you are a completionist, it's really a waste of time.

I agree that Castlevania III is a great game, but I think it owes a lot to its predecessors. Though it takes the majority of its gameplay style from the original, it is much less linear in that you are able to choose a specific paths to get to Dracula. 
It really boggles my mind how they whiffed so badly on the bosses. It's not like this came out in 1985 when having bosses in a game was still a rarity. Not only that, but they could've at least had a temporary wall in the boss room so you are forced to fight them. I have a theory on why they did it the way they did, but it's pretty far-fetched. Simply put, they made a poor decision.

The items are pretty weak, but I suppose it's better than no items. I found myself using daggers just as a change of pace. The diamond is especially useless. The items in Zelda II (and other games) are just as bad/useless. Sure, you NEED the items in Zelda II, but you can't really USE them. They just grant access to the next area. How about Mega Man games? From the 46 boss weapons in the NES series, I use about 6 or 7 of them during stage-play.

I need to give Castlevania III a chance. I've never owned it and have barely played it.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #152 on: November 01, 2013, 11:11:36 AM »

Actually the diamond is useful in the boss fights. Just throw those puppies around the room 3-4 at a time and they will bounce around until they make contact. Use these in combination with the whip and bosses go down a little faster. Useless in the outer world though.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #153 on: January 06, 2014, 10:03:45 PM »

came across this today and thought the castlevania players would get a kick out of it:

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #154 on: January 07, 2014, 08:15:52 AM »

Ha! That's great.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length