RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:00:54 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | Computer problems 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Computer problems  (Read 1605 times)
Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« on: March 19, 2005, 03:53:19 AM »

I got myself a pci videocard with a dvi port, so I could connect my second lcd monitor with sweet sweet dvi too. Since then I've had nothing but troubles.

At first my computer would continuously freeze. I figured it was the power source, so I got myself a 500 watt instead of the 300 watt one. This kinda solved the problem. I still had crashes, but not as frequent.

I decided to take out my old videocard and only use the new videocard, seeing if that might be the problem. I haven't had any crashes since, but I do get a messed up screen every now and then. And sometimes a blue screen and an odd reboot right after that. The screen looks scrambled, colors all over in some paterns that don't make sense. And yesterday evening the upper right part of my monitor got lines and started shaking. Very odd.

Does anybody here know what the problem is and how to solve it? I really don't want to get rid of this second videocard, since I have already spend well over a hundred bucks on all this.
Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 03:53:36 AM »

Oh, and I have tried different drivers.

And reinstalled windows xp twice.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 03:53:50 AM by Arrrhalomynn » Logged
Odonadon
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 08:17:59 PM »

Sounds like motherboard.  Could be the addition of the new vid card is pulling too much power through it.

My brother had very similar symptoms a few weeks back.  When he used another video card - no problems.  So he figured it was the power supply.  He went to hook the new one up and noticed the burnage.  Check for similar burnage on the board somewhere, or try a new one altogether.  Could also check the RAM.

OD

If Jesus were alive today I'm sure he'd own a PS2.
http://turbo2k.net - TurboGrafx-16 Megasite.
Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 04:07:10 PM »

Thanks for the advice. I put the old videocard back in, reinstalled windows, without service pack 2, and had the same problem. I took a good look at the motherboard and replaced the memory, but it had no effect at all.

I really have no idea what it can be.
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 06:09:16 PM »

But did you try using a different motherboard?

Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2005, 02:01:29 AM »

well, no.... That would be an awful lot of effort. I'd have to break up 2 computers. I rather look for a less extreme solution first.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length