RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:39:16 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | January Modern Community Playthrough - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Print
Author Topic: January Modern Community Playthrough - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker  (Read 27527 times)
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2014, 08:56:21 AM »

Yes, I beat that worm boss last night (very easily I might add. I think I was burned out after doing the whole dungeon and I was panicking and getting too close. A very beautiful and peaceful experience when you do it right).

So now there's the runaround of all runarounds. Not to spoil anything but make sure you have 20 Joy Pendants between the Wind Temple and collecting TriForce charts. Many of you doing side stuff will have plenty or probably have already done the thing I'm talking about, but I had to farm for them, which was a minor ass-ache.

Hoping to finish the game this weekend!

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2014, 10:47:38 AM »

You're so right. The Temple of the Gods is a fun one too.

Don't want to burst your bubble but the running... sailing around will be back once you finish the Earth and Wind Temples.

Not surprising.  I'm assuming the triforce thing is what you're referring to?  A friend of mine recently completed this game, and he asked me if I had done the triforce hunt, and his tone implied that it was chore.  I've read that two dungeons were scrapped from the game due to time constraints, and the triforce quest was added to lengthen the game.

I feel like the game world itself is a bit underdeveloped.  It's really just a blank ocean with many very small islands scattered throughout.  I'm surprised that there aren't any large landmasses in the game.  There are a couple of places like Windfall and Dragon Roost that are a little bigger than the average island, but I would've hoped for one or two islands that span at least a couple of sectors on the map.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2014, 11:41:25 AM »

That's exactly what I was referring to. And it is a big time chore.

I can't disagree with you opinion about the game being underdeveloped. Much of the game involves sailing to islands you won't return for a long time, if not at all. The dungeons are fun, but the overworld can be a deal breaker. Fortunately the HD remaster has the swift sail which I use all the time.

Is it just me or does this game seem shorter than other Zelda games? Or maybe it's more straightforward.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2014, 12:27:44 PM »

That's exactly what I was referring to. And it is a big time chore.

I can't disagree with you opinion about the game being underdeveloped. Much of the game involves sailing to islands you won't return for a long time, if not at all. The dungeons are fun, but the overworld can be a deal breaker. Fortunately the HD remaster has the swift sail which I use all the time.

Is it just me or does this game seem shorter than other Zelda games? Or maybe it's more straightforward.

Yeah, I can't imagine playing through this entire game with the regular sail, constantly having to shift the wind just to change direction.  I guess that explains why I never finished the game when I played it a decade ago.  While I am enjoying my current playthrough, Wind Waker will most definitely not be remembered as my favorite Zelda game.

I can't really comment on whether it seems shorter than other Zelda games or not since I haven't beaten it.  From what I understand, there are fewer dungeons in Wind Waker than most other Zelda games, so maybe that's why it feels short.  I remember spending a ton of time playing Twilight Princess when it first came out and loved every minute of it, but I don't remember how long it actually took me to finish it, or any of the other games for that matter.

Raidou
DB Reviewer
Australia

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2014, 05:38:10 PM »

Haven't played much this week because of a heat wave.

So far...
Spoiler (hover to show)

I would have to agree that this game feels much shorter than Ocarina of Time- there, getting the Master Sword there was less than half way.  I pretty much plowed through the story thinking it would take longer.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 09:59:43 PM by Raidou » Logged
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2014, 11:15:08 AM »

Wow, collecting the triforce charts is f*cking chore. I'm back to hating this game now. Wink

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2014, 12:01:03 PM »

Welcome to Zelda games!

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2014, 12:06:18 PM »

Welcome to Zelda games!

LOL I guess so! This is the ultimate in stop and go entertainment. It's only bad because I want to finish it soon. This is not the kind of game you just want to push through, like I'm doing. The next time I play a Zelda game I'll be sure to have a clean schedule with nothing else in the immediate backlog.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2014, 12:08:32 PM »

You're 100% right. It's easy to lose interest in these games when you know you have something else on the horizon or in the backlog.

At least you're not too far from the end and you have two weeks to go. You'll be fine.

techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2014, 03:25:20 PM »

i'm surprised grayghost's main complaints seem to be about the length of the game and the grinding aspects, with the amount of RPGs you love wouldn't you be used to grinding for things already? there's a lot of tedious things in RPGs
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2014, 04:39:05 PM »

I don't think Ghost is complaining about grinding or game length. Zelda games have a nasty way of taunting players. You do a bunch of quests and dungeons, think you're going to face the big baddie, but nope, the games say, "Oh yeah, before you fight Mr. Evil Guy you have to run around and get more stuff."

The games constantly pull the finish line further and further away from you. Sad

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2014, 04:41:46 PM »

i'm surprised grayghost's main complaints seem to be about the length of the game and the grinding aspects, with the amount of RPGs you love wouldn't you be used to grinding for things already? there's a lot of tedious things in RPGs

Excellent point and I'm glad you brought it up.

Indeed I love my RPGs, JRPGs specifically (you must've been listening to the collectorcast Wink) but in RPGs grinding is grinding and you get exp and level up your character. In this game, what I'm not thrilled about is all the busywork. I need to task A, but in order to do A I must do B. In order to do B I have to do C and so on.

This wouldn't be quite as bad if it wasn't all sandwiched right in between the second to last and last dungeons. If what Disposed said about them padding the game out with this stuff is true, that's a real drag to me. The game really stomps on the gas right around your second trip the Forsaken Fortress, and then to put all this running around in before you can finish the game is not grinding, it's work.

I hope I'm not being too hyperbolic here, I am enjoying the game. It is really out of my comfort zone and I'm very happy, after over 25 years of gaming, to finally be on the verge of completing my first Zelda game. But when I had to control a seagull and hit those switches I had flashbacks of trying to control the radio controlled airplane in Grand Theft Auto 3. *shudder*

Again, sorry to be so bitchy about the game. I like it, really. The pacing just sucks.

The games constantly pull the finish line further and further away from you. Sad

Hit the nail right on the head Fleach.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2014, 10:23:39 PM »

You're so right about this game stepping on the gas after you return to the Forsaken Fortress. You get so pumped because you witness a big reveal, get an iconic weapon, fought some very fun battles. But it's all for nothing because game says "Congratulations for reinvigorating the Master Sword! Your reward... Go rebuild the Triforce!"

And then you just have this look on your face:
[img width=200 height=197]http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/masonry/000/259/943/694.png[/img]

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2014, 09:26:59 AM »

Two words:

SOUP GLITCH

Possibly only available in the GameCube version. I got the last TriForce chart this morning, on Outset. Took forever but it would have a lot worse without this exploit. Yes, it's cheating. So sue me.

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2014, 04:48:14 PM »

Just finished the game. Although everything after the Wind Temple was a complete waste of my time, I'm really glad I played it. My first Zelda game. Wow. It was a lot more fun playing with you guys and being able to come on RFGen and bitch and wine about everything I didn't like about the game.

In due time, I'll look back on this game fondly, I know it. It was just too charming, colorful, heartwarming and fun to be written off for bad pacing.

Fleach, excellent choice. I hope everyone enjoys the rest of the game.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length