RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:18:03 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | RF Generation Podcasts (Moderators: Crabmaster2000, Duke.Togo, wildbil52) | RF Generation Collectorcast Episode 19 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: RF Generation Collectorcast Episode 19  (Read 12023 times)
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« on: January 03, 2014, 07:10:57 PM »

Episode 19 is LIVE.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 09:40:45 PM by Duke.Togo » Logged

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 02:09:39 AM »

how are there no replies yet, a new collectorcast always brings out the masses! i'm bad though and still need to listen to episode 18 Sad
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 04:39:32 AM »

YAYYY  [img width=110 height=96]http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y409/Zagnorch/BillKawaiiGif_zpsa8660fe5.gif[/img]
Raidou
DB Reviewer
Australia

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 09:06:40 AM »

Point of interest:  The .hack series subtitles run in alphabetical order (Infection, Mutation, Outbreak, Quarantine)
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 10:06:06 AM »

That is very helpful. I had no idea.

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 11:58:48 AM »

Enjoyed listening at work last night. Heading down to Game Quest today to hang out with Crabby, discuss the pod, games and play his Sega GT cab

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 02:35:46 PM »

I'll be listening tonight. Looking forward to the main topic. Sounds very interesting and entertaining.

Enjoyed listening at work last night. Heading down to Game Quest today to hang out with Crabby, discuss the pod, games and play his Sega GT cab

Save some room for me. I'll be joining you guys this summer. Cheesy

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 10:08:48 PM »

Looking forward to meeting a fellow RF Canuck. Didn't really get to hang out today; place was pretty busy.

RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 04:21:11 PM »

Downloaded it a couple days ago, I'll sit through all 5 hours at work tomorrow.

It had better have several mentions of the illustrious and king of the consoles, 32x.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 11:14:18 PM »

I'm listening as I type, and I just got to the "eye balling a trade and seeing something you want" part.

So... Do you guys think there is an etiquette that is to be followed when it comes to buying games?

As much as I'd like to interrupt a trade to buy something I would wait until the store and client have done their thing and then let the anticipation brew until that particular game is available for sale.

Crabby, do you see difference in the people who are gamers and those who are collectors? Do you, as a reseller, react differently to those two camps?

And lastly, podcast crew, I like the main topic first format. If you stuck to that format you wouldn't hear any complaints from me.

Crabmaster2000
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 09:00:01 AM »

I find it a bit frustrating when people gather around and start eyeballing a trade in for two reasons:

1. It hurts my negotiating power. I by no means want to rip someone off, but I do need to get a good price on items coming into the store in order to stay in business. If half of a trade in seems "sold" to people before I get a chance to throw a dollar amount out then the price the customer has in mind can suddenly jump. Occasionally to unrealistic levels. Which means there is a greater chance they leave the store with an amount they arn't entirely happy with or even with their games.

2. I like to be able to clean and test most items that come into the store. I've had people say they don't mind grabbing something "as is" from a trade in that just came in and then show up the next day upset that the game didn't work (and often just needs a quick alcohol swabbing).

I'd say if you see something you're interested in come in the door while you are shopping, just be patient and wait until the customer is not only done the transaction with the store owner, but has left the building. Then ask the shop keeper if you can take a look or that you are interested in a particular title and try and work out your deal for it.

Collector's and Gamer's aren't all that different to me. They both behave surprisingly similar. The only differences are things like a gamer not being as concerned with completeness or condition of an item as a collector. Collectors are also often a lot more knowledgeable when it comes to price and rarity than the gamers (obviously), so they are much more likely to try and negotiate price, buy large lots or scoop up any item that isn't likely to show up in the store often. Both are willing to pony up for items that they are genuinely excited about though and both groups are willing to come in often anticipating that special item to show up.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 09:43:33 AM by Crabmaster2000 » Logged

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 09:11:24 AM »

Your stance on the trade-in etiquette is very reasonable. I can see you try to be fair to the customer while also being fair to yourself (you have overhead and other expenses).

The gamers and collectors of Prince George must be really happy to have you around.

I enjoyed your bit on the main topic this month.

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 10:24:55 AM »

I know I have often been in the position of standing at the counter when a huge desirable trade-in lot comes in. I think the first couple times it happened, I probably broke etiquette out of excitement, but seeing Crabby kindly but sternly chastise a few kids (who seem to be the worst offenders) I quickly learned the error of my ways. Although it can be painful (especially if there are multiple interested vultures....i mean parties) to wait until the customer is gone, I always do before starting buying negotiations.

Crabmaster2000
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 10:29:51 AM »

I know I have often been in the position of standing at the counter when a huge desirable trade-in lot comes in. I think the first couple times it happened, I probably broke etiquette out of excitement, but seeing Crabby kindly but sternly chastise a few kids (who seem to be the worst offenders) I quickly learned the error of my ways. Although it can be painful (especially if there are multiple interested vultures....i mean parties) to wait until the customer is gone, I always do before starting buying negotiations.

I really appreciate it Mike. I know if I was in your position there would be A LOT of restraint involved, but it really makes things go a lot smoother. Plus it keeps you in my good books, which typically means I'm willing to do you favors Wink

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 10:59:16 AM »

Crabby certainly has it correct. When I am in stores, I respect the guys running it. I know they have a job to do and families to feed, and I want their store to do well so they can keep supplying me with what I am after, as well as just honestly making some friendships with them.

I've said it before. Being a successful, long term collector is all about relationships. Plus, that is really the best side of the hobby. The games are fun, but if you just had them all alone, it would suck.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length